Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The philosopher's stone Michio Kushi's guide to alchemy

Along with myself, we now have 8 persons who are interested. In terms of the cost of the book, although it lists at $62.10, there's also a shipping fee which is $17 for the international rate. That brings the price up to $79.10. Unfortunately, though, even though there's an international shipping rate, these books do not ship outside of the US. I have written to Amazon asking if there's a way around this.

If not, the book can be ordered from the Amazon of another country. If so, the cost of the book and shipping amounts to $91.75 US., which is $12 higher than the American price. However, split amongst 8 persons, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

If divided evenly, the price for each person would amount to only about $11.50. That's a reasonable price for a book such as this. If others are interested in this book, the price could go down even more.

So far, the following 8 are interested:

Alfr, Kiorkionis, Seth-Ra, Zoas, Andro, Philosophical, True Initiate an myself.

Some have already contributed more than this amount. Shall we refund the contribution and wait until we can come up with equal price contributions for everyone?

Please let either True Initiative or myself know.

I will also contribute.

Me too ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    Along with myself, we now have 8 persons who are interested. In terms of the cost of the book, although it lists at $62.10, there's also a shipping fee which is $17 for the international rate. That brings the price up to $79.10. Unfortunately, though, even though there's an international shipping rate, these books do not ship outside of the US. I have written to Amazon asking if there's a way around this.

If not, the book can be ordered from the Amazon of another country. If so, the cost of the book and shipping amounts to $91.75 US., which is $12 higher than the American price. However, split amongst 8 persons, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

If divided evenly, the price for each person would amount to only about $11.50. That's a reasonable price for a book such as this. If others are interested in this book, the price could go down even more.

So far, the following 8 are interested:

Alfr, Kiorkionis, Seth-Ra, Zoas, Andro, Philosophical, True Initiate an myself.

Some have already contributed more than this amount. Shall we refund the contribution and wait until we can come up with equal price contributions for everyone?

Please let either True Initiative or myself know.
    Yeah, make it equal for everyone... that's the point.
    Somebody will "unfairly" receive the ORIGINAL... but the "unfairness" goes away when this person "pays" the cost of receiving the original by "paying" for it by having to scan each page (which we can take as "the work" that pays the cost of receiving the original)... So it becomes fair for everyone again. Nice group project!

Hello Illen, thank you for acting as banker on this project. If you would like to you can refund any difference back to my account but I am also happy for everyone involved in the projects logistics to be paid even just a small sum for their time. Either way I am happy as the amount paid for the book is still less than what it would cost otherwise and I'll likely print the book and bind a hard copy for myself. I will be away for a fortnight and probably won't be able to access the Internet so I will leave it up to the others to say definitively what will be done. Look forward to reading the book in more depth. Thanks everyone! It would be so interesting to do this sort of thing more often!

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Yeah, make it equal for everyone... that's the point.
    Somebody will "unfairly" receive the ORIGINAL... but the "unfairness" goes away when this person "pays" the cost of receiving the original by "paying" for it by having to scan each page (which we can take as "the work" that pays the cost of receiving the original)... So it becomes fair for everyone again. Nice group project!
    The person receiving the original will also pay an equal part of the share PLUS having to scan the entire book on top of that. The shares will be about $10 each, and the amount of work to scan each page will likely be more than $10 of labour (thus the person with the original takes care of ordering the book, scanning it and effectively paying double what everyone else pays - plus the risk of paying 3 or 4 times if some people end up not paying in the end). Having the original is not such an advantage - just extra paper. It's the content that's valuable.

It's great that we now have ten people who have expressed interest in sharing for the cost of this book. The total price of the least expensive source for this out of print book including shipping and handling is $92.00 US. Some sources list the price up to $1,000.

Split 10 ways, and rounded up to the nearest half dollar, the price for each contributor will be only $9.50 U.S. It's so encouraging that we can all work together like this, and reduce the price of an important out-of-print book to something quite manageable for all.

I'll wait until the end of today in case any others want the book as well. Then I'll send out a Private message to each contributor, specifying the Paypal account to which to send the funds.

Following that, I'll wait until the book arrives and produce a PDF for each contributor.

Blog Entries
    It's the content that's valuable.
    Quite right. I don't mind having a PDF copy.

I'll wait until the end of today in case any others want the book as well. Then I'll send out a Private message to each contributor, specifying the Paypal account to which to send the funds.

Following that, I'll wait until the book arrives and produce a PDF for each contributor.
    Awesome!
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Thanks, for your contributions towards the purchase of "Philosophers Stone" by Michio Kushi. This is a great group project.

I've now received contributions from everyone who agreed to contribute except for one person. Once I have received that contribution, I can proceed.

As an update, everyone who was interested has now contributed (thanks, all) and the book has been ordered. I've been told that it could take anywhere from about 2-5 weeks before I receive it.

I'l provide an update once I have received the book and started scanning it.

+ Reply to Thread