Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Selenium

Blog Entries

Selenium

Hi Guys.

I found some interesting information regarding selenium dissolving gold. Leaving a Red/Yellow solution. And as far as I am aware selenium is not overly harmful to the human body. In fact there are many places that say it is good for you.

Due to remembering that selenium fluoresces, I then thought about the fact that alchemists had cups made of a wood that when water was put into them, would make the water fluoresce, Kidney wood. Could this be the water that is talked of?

I started thought about the fact that fluorescence is due to the chemical catching radiation and then emits any radiation that it cannot contain. Could this radiation be seen as the prima materia?

Then thought about how the Hawthorn tree was sacred to many ancient cultures. The hawthorn is known to contain selenium. Talked of in many ancient cultures, it was said to be scared to: Isis, Ishtar, Moses, the Israelites, and the fairy people of Ireland. The fairy people of Ireland, or Tuatha Dé Danann, were said to be blue. Perhaps from drinking colloid silver dissolved in the selenium from the hawthorn berry?

Also I have heard much about selenium being an important component of telomeres and DNA.

I just wondered if anyone had done any work with selenic acid, or had any more info to share?

I think if I was to get into Practical Alchemy, this is certainly where I would start.
    Last edited by Loki Morningstar; 08-12-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    Distill fact from theory, fixate on inferences drawn.
    Upon which points does the mystery turn?
    "What's the matter?", one asks.
    "The universe is mental!", one replies.
    Know The Self.

Blog Entries
    I was just thinking. Beings it is so close to sulphur on the elemental table, and supposedly has similar qualities. Could it be the second sulphur people are looking for?

Blog Entries
    Just found a great article on dissolving gold with selenic acid. It's a download though.

Dissolving Gold with Selenic Acid
    Last edited by Loki Morningstar; 08-12-2016 at 10:07 PM.
    Know The Self.

Blog Entries
    Also turns out that it's name comes from the Greek word for moon. So I don't know if that means anything to anyone?

And was likely what was referred to as “red sulfur” in the writings of Arnold of Villanova, in the 13th century.

And Also turns out that it's name comes from the Greek word for moon. So I don't know if that means anything to anyone?

And was likely what was referred to as “red sulfur” in the writings of Arnold of Villanova, in the 13th century.

And selenium occurs in protein in the form of an amino acid called selenocysteine.
    Last edited by Loki Morningstar; 08-14-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    Know The Self.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki Morningstar View Post
    Which writings? Can you give us some specific references?

Remember that alchemy was practiced as far back as the time of Jesus (Eg Mary the Jewess).
    Seems like a bit of an anachronism to suggest people were using Selenic acid 2000 years ago.
    Where do you suppose they got it from?
    ==================================
    "Show me a stone which can cure cancer in 1 week,
    and I care not whether it transmute base metal to gold."

==================================

Blog Entries
    Hi Ghetto Alchemist,

Thank for your reply, I am quite new to this, It will be nice to have someone with more knowledge than me to talk about it with.

As for specific writings, I know not currently, although shall do some research to attempt to find out. I'll get back to you if I find anything.

As for where can it be got from. Pretty much everywhere. It seems that it is in practically every living thing as it makes up part of DNA. And also there are many plants that are high in selenium, such as Hawthorn. Which was highly sacred to the people of the British isles, and happens to originate in Egypt. So is likely something that would have common to them also.

It is my theory that Alchemy, in its oldest form, most likely started in herbology, and so it would be likely that Alchemists of the past would have had great knowledge of plant materials. So this could be a high possibility in my eyes. Although I would appreciate your more experienced opinions on the matter.

It seems that alchemists of the 1600s had a bit of a fascination with fluorescent materials, which I also thought may have been a bit of a clue. I am going to attempt to do some more research tonight, and see if there is anything more I can find.
    Know The Self.

Blog Entries
    Another little gem I have found. Related to the kidney wood.

Research on kidney wood from Calvin University

An article on organic selenium.

How to isolate selenium from animal feed/distillers grains.

Selenium benefits health, scientific paper.

Skip to the conclusion. Paper is a bit words, but you can see all the research is there.
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 08-15-2016 at 12:12 AM. Reason: compressed resources for easier reference
    Know The Self.

Blog Entries
    It seems selenium protects the body from heavy metals also.
    Know The Self.

Blog Entries
    Livestock grown in areas containing high amounts of selenium in the soil and in which a plant called Astragalus ("loco weed" in USA) is present are poisoned. This is because Astragalus concentrates selenium.
    Know The Self.

Blog Entries
    Selenium is occasionally found as the free element. Minerals are rare and selenium is normally extracted as a by-product from copper production. So it seems that as long as we have been able to produce copper we have had the by product of selenium, therefore, it is likely that alchemists would have been able to get their hands on it.
    Know The Self.

+ Reply to Thread