Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Solar Path

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Ghislain & TheFool:

1: Yes, the mirror is UNDER the flask, not inside the flask... This is very clear in the text.

2: This is a late XVII century work... I don't think he was using Vacuum. You can download the entire book here in Latin: http://www.e-rara.ch/zut/doi/10.3931/e-rara-12405

3: The context leads to assume that he is talking about a flask with a flat bottom and with the less "imperfections" possible.... It's not really an incredibly strange flask.

4: The lens can be the average lens of a magnifying glass... the "tricky" part is that the focal point has to be 28 centimeters away from the lens... If I was going to replicate this thing, I would probably use a different logic: I would get a lens and check where is the focal point... i.e, my lens can have its focal point 34 centimeters away from the lens... So I would find a 36 centimeters height flask... it is somehow more practical.

5: As for adjusting the focal point... the text talks says that as the sun moves, you should move the flask so that the focal point always faces the center of the flask... so you probably have to move the flask as if it was a sunflower following the sun. It is probably easier to do such thing than using a set of lenses to have the focal point always in the center...

6: The text says that the experiment lasts "5 or 6 hours"... so probably it's a good idea to do it between 9:30 and 14:30... as to catch the best moments of the sun (considering that the "ideal" moment is 12:00 pm)

I have no idea if this experiment leads somewhere, but its procedure is simple and based on common sense... so probably it makes no sense to make it become "complex" (i.e, moving the flask is easier than using several lenses, etc)
    Well I just took my magnifying glass outside to measure the length of the focal point. It was longer than my ruler. Also, it's 1430 here and one definitely needs an apparatus to track the sun if the experiment is to last 5 hrs. I was measuring diagonally just to keep my focal point tight. This is not such a big deal since our flask clamps can be used to advantage here. Certainly no need for multiple lens.
    The trick now is finding the glass vessel of appropriate height.

Are we sure that the bottom is flat? Somehow I feel that the reflected rays should converge on the focal point of the lens. I note that the less irregularities, the better for the vessel bottom, but in my opinion, this experiment, as easy as it appears, should be done with a round bottom container that has a focal point of its own.
    A smaller lens would reduce the length of the focal point. I'm going to look around the house for one that can be mated to a boiling flask using plumbers mastic. Fixing a compact mirror centered outside the flask bottom is easily done with duct tape.

Spain has a solar energy set up that sounds similar to this arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    From the text, it sounds to me that the paste is merely used as a means to secure the lens to the mouth of the vessel.
    Oh, I see. I must have misread that. My bad. lol
    (At work)

~Seth-Ra
    One fatal tree there stands of knowledge called, forbidden them to taste. Knowledge forbidden? Suspicious. Reasonless. And why should their Lord envy them that? Can it be sin to know? Can it be death? And do they stand by ignorance, is that their happy state, the proof of their obedience and their faith?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    This is what the text describes:

I've seen something similar to this.

Perhaps an interesting meditation on the 'magnet'-fying glass
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    From the text, it sounds to me that the paste is merely used as a means to secure the lens to the mouth of the vessel.
    Yes, you are 100% right... the idea that the "bread" was inside the flask was me misreading the text... the "bread" is only used as a suggestion about how to secure the lens and make an hermetic seal. It's not inside the flask. Shame on me, the text is not ambiguous at all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by theFool View Post
    Hello zoas,

to my understanding, it should be a round bottom flask (urinal) with silver plated bottom. I don't speak Spanish, but this is how I understand this sentence:
    Does this mean to put a mirror under a glass jar?
    Maybe you are right... about the round bottom.
    If you go to this page: http://mistholme.com/?s=flask and you scroll down a bit, there is an example of an "urinal" there and its bottom is round, not fltat. The only hint that the text gives about it is actually the word "urinal".

Could a form of this technology be used here? https://goo.gl/images/oPLxQr
    Our goal is to capture a peculiar fluid whilst this setup apparently focuses the rays to heat a fluid. It's not a closed system but the similarity is striking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasm View Post
    Could a form of this technology be used here? https://goo.gl/images/oPLxQr
    Our goal is to capture a peculiar fluid whilst this setup apparently focuses the rays to heat a fluid. It's not a closed system but the similarity is striking.
    You might be interested in this post.

The relevant quote being:
    Built near the town of Ouarzazate in central Morocco, the plant uses solar thermal technology, rather than photovoltaic solar panels. Solar thermal technology uses mirrors, which track the movement of the Sun, to concentrate solar rays to heat oil in pipes. The hot oil is used to create steam in order to power turbines, creating the electricity. The advantage of using this technique is that the oil can then be used to melt salt, which holds onto the energy, and can be used to produce power even after the Sun has gone down.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    You might be interested in this post.
    The relevant quote being:
    Yes, this is exactly what i was talking about. The tech just seems eerily close to this experiment.

I cut out a round piece of foil and taped it to the outside bottom centre of my curcubit. No sense posting a pic as I haven't found a lens that works. I feel the foil is better than a flat mirror as it forms a concave reflective surface inside. By the way, it's not easy keeping the foil free of wrinkles on a round surface.
    The difficult part to all of this is going to be aligning the focal points or as Walter Russell would say, "opposed, centrepital vortices."According to him, this is an electrical action that forms matter.
    Paradoxically, the matter diffuses at the equatorial plane, but if it's trapped by the glass....? This will be interesting.

Ok, I'm tracking the sun. I used wax to affix this glass whose focal point is 9cm. The flask is 18cm. If I get poor results, I'll try a smaller flask. This is easy enough to test.

I will post my results!

chasm369

----------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 09-06-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: BB code fix.

+ Reply to Thread