Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Solar Path

Quote Originally Posted by Chasm View Post
    Ok, I'm tracking the sun. I used wax to affix this glass whose focal point is 9cm. The flask is 18cm. If I get poor results, I'll try a smaller flask. This is easy enough to test.

I will post my results!

chasm369

----------------------------------------
    You need the mirror and the heat source, otherwise do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Roburus View Post
    well so far you're absolutely correct. I just got back inside and I saw nothing.
    I don't quite understand how a mirror with a heat source behind it will work out though. It's not registering. Suppose we had a convex mirror and the back of it were painted black, it would absorb heat very well, but then wouldn't the reflective material of the mirror impede the transfer of radiation into the glass vessel. Does not the reflected rays provide the heat from below?
    My Spanish isn't that great but...what can I say?
    This experiment looks easy enough but I'm unsure how it's going to work out. I'm going to continue to play with it.
    The reflection off of the foil is very bright but other than that, nada!

Blog Entries
    Wrap it with tin foil.

There´s an ancient way, maybe Rosicrucian, of trapping solar fire by the use of mirrors and lenses. It's described in a small text called Artifice V, and attributed to Francesco Lana de Terzi. It represents a way to concentrate SM through sunlight. I've been experiencing about it for a while, but I'm looking for more information. Does anyone know anything about it?
    -----------------------------------------
    Maybe it would be also a good idea to look for other literature that describes similar experiments (pulvis solaris) and there is some out there. Also Alexander von Bernus mentioned it in his Alchemy and Medicine as the most hidden secret of Alchemy. If I remember right he mainly refers to Montfaucon. And there is 'Arcana divina', there is in the 'Testamentum Societates Aureae et Roseae Crucis' a own section about this subject.
    Other text:

Boe, de Le Sylvius, Magni Sylvii Sal Volatile Oleosum, radiis solaribus impregnatum

Weidenfeld

Well I just took my magnifying glass outside to measure the length of the focal point. It was longer than my ruler. Also, it's 1430 here and one definitely needs an apparatus to track the sun if the experiment is to last 5 hrs. I was measuring diagonally just to keep my focal point tight. This is not such a big deal since our flask clamps can be used to advantage here. Certainly no need for multiple lens.
    Chasm did you measure the focal point at another time of day other than 14:30? My point was that at different times of day the focal distance may change.

I don't quite understand how a mirror with a heat source behind it will work out though. It's not registering. Suppose we had a convex mirror and the back of it were painted black, it would absorb heat very well, but then wouldn't the reflective material of the mirror impede the transfer of radiation into the glass vessel. Does not the reflected rays provide the heat from below?
    Roburus and Chasm, could you explain why you mention a heat source, do you have further information that is not mentioned in the posted text or did i miss something?

I’ll just throw this out there because they say the most stupid question is the one that is never asked

Could the vessel be floated in Mercury as the reflective medium? I immediately see the problem of tilting the flask makes this problematic.

Or another method may be this...

Ghislain

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    Chasm did you measure the focal point at another time of day other than 14:30? My point was that at different times of day the focal distance may change.
    No I didn't. The incoming rays are a constant. The mag glass is constant with its fixed dimensions and whose function is to converge the rays to a focal point. This is determined by the mag glass and its distance from the object. Once the measurements are calculated so that the beam is focusing where you want it, which as Zoas said is a function of the flask depth, tracking is the only concern.
    I did consider the mirror paint, but used the readily available foil.
    As for the heat source, Roburus brought it up. I personally don't see the need, nor do I see benefit in wrapping the flask in foil as Fool suggested.

chasm369

Blog Entries
    As for the heat source, Roburus brought it up. I personally don't see the need, nor do I see benefit in wrapping the flask in foil as Fool suggested.

chasm369
    What happens at night when there is no sun? How will you keep the "matter" from "evaporating"?

I'm assuming the 40 day time period is a natural requirement.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    What happens at night when there is no sun? How will you keep the "matter" from "evaporating"?
    The vessel is sealed with the mag glass using wax.

I'm assuming the 40 day time period is a natural requirement.
    No, the experiment is 5-6 hrs. It's all in the previous posts.

No... he talks about TWO alternatives: using a mirror OR using a heat source... but the text doesn't talk about a heat source under the mirror (I'm not saying it's wrong to do it, but it's not what the text says).

In the case of the heat source, it is my understanding that he's talking [probably] about a clay or porcelain pot (completely luted, except for the lens)... whilst in the "mirror option", I think he is using a transparent flask (this is a bit ambiguous).

If you download the whole book (which is quite strange since it deals with an enormous diversity of subjects, even mechanics): http://www.e-rara.ch/zut/doi/10.3931/e-rara-12405

Then in the page 791 (of the pdf, not of the book) you have the Latin text...

I know there are other documents describing the process, but it is a secret and do not know the names. Do you know any? There is a very short reference in the book of Fulcanelli ( Dwellings of the Philosophers) and I think also a brief indication in "Magophon". There is similarity in antique prints.

+ Reply to Thread