Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

View Poll Results: Why make the Stone?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • To make physical gold.

0 0%
  • To make spiritual gold = spiritual path.

2 20.00%
  • To live longer and healthier.

2 20.00%
  • To become immortal.

2 20.00%
  • There is no such thing as a Stone.

0 0%
  • To assist with stepping outside the omniversal foodchain, become immune to demiurgic insanity, shed all superfluities (layers of code & identification) and BE ONE with the UN-Created.

4 40.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Why make The Stone?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    Was waiting for a post like this in this thread...From the third post on, I felt it was long overdue and soon coming! Allow me to respond.

It is very easy to play the "greed" or "wealth" card in attempts to smear the otherwise noble disposition of Alchemy. But I will ask you this: If someone offered you $10 million dollars cash no strings of any kind attached you would instantly take it (or be a fool not to). The fool--you in this case, dev--says, "No, I would rather bust my ass the rest of my life working menial jobs and earn my own money, thanks".

Other than for argument's sake, how can you or anyone else actually defend this reasoning?
    Simple: no one can. Anyone who claims otherwise is full of baloney. They know they would take the money without hesitation. Same with alchemy and the Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I would agree. Any situation where untaxed money is created there are always more problems. Even the biggest criminals pay taxes, even if their taxes don't go to the government illegal activities are expensive.

It is certainly quicker to start a business, work hard and make enough to be able to buy and hoard gold... than to spend a life time trying to make it from lead etc.

Easier said than done! If it was so easy to succeed as you present it above then you would expect the rich to outnumber the not-so-rich, but it's the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    There are two main reasons why I would try to make it:

1) to understand the philosophy of the Ancients and learn more about the hidden secrets of how Nature works;
    2) for health reasons - for acquaintances who are currently suffering and to improve my own health.

The monetary aspect is tempting but it would be problematic. If you were to keep bringing gold to whoever buys gold these days, they would eventually start asking questions, and possibly even report you to the authorities. Then you would have the authorities at your door wondering where and how you acquired all these pounds of gold. So the best you could do is sell a few ounces. Hardly worthwhile.
    There are ways around it. Real criminals (which alchemists are not, but honest workers) get away with much more regarding real "dirty" money (which alchemy's artificial precious metals are not, but honestly gained wealth with the sweat of your own brow.) Plus selling a few ounces of gold and silver every now and then would put in your pocket several thousand dollars, enough to last you for a while without having to worry about food, the rent, paying bills, etc. The point is not opulence, but financial security.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    THE POINT IS NOT OPULENCE, BUT FINANCIAL SECURITY.

Yes!

When people, like dev, who like to play the "greed" card bring up such vitriol as amassing possessions and want, they are factoring in lower human tendencies which we all know is not an issue with a true Alchemist.

It is not about opulence, decadence, or indulgence. It is simply about having financial security. And you could even say it's not even about financial security, but at the end of the day about what we do with that financial security...which is LIVE OUR LIVES AS WE DESIRE without being indebted or relying on anybody for my daily well-being.

Blog Entries
    "No, I would rather bust my ass the rest of my life working menial jobs and earn my own money, thanks".
    LOL. I see. Only two options.

My final two cents on this matter is: the poor are poor because they want to be rich...

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

I see. Only two options.
    Plenty more, actually, if you are willing to look at them. For example, someone can inherit a lot of money and be set for life, another person could win the lottery and have all the money he could ever need, someone else could invest a small amount of money in a company that ends up blowing up huge a year later, etc. There are countless examples of poor people spontaneously, or even easily, becoming rich. But again, as JDP pointed out earlier, it is not about riches but about financial security. There are not only two options: 1) Busting ass working menial jobs earning a little bit of money, or 2) Successfully accomplish the Philosopher's Stone. Those are two extremes, yes, but not the only two options. Many options present themselves in the middle of the two. You know this though and for me to continue typing would be a waste of energy...

My final two cents on this matter is: the poor are poor because they want to be rich...
    The poor are not poor because they want to be rich. Sure, it has a nice ring to it, but it is nothing more than a laughable statement with no merit.

Wanting to be rich does not make someone poor.

Being poor or relatively poor, has a lot to do with being overly honest, ethical and saying things which are true regardless of how it hurts. It's almost impossible to move up the ladder of success without being dishonest, using others, lying big time, cheating, being aggressive, etc., unless you happen to inherit a fortune.

I could have been quite well off if I had "played the game" and sucked up to my bosses. Instead, they despised my brutal honesty about how things could be improved, etc., and as a result always passed me over whenever an advancement opportunity presented itself. They preferred leaving things as they were only to make their jobs more easy. I don't mind not being well off as at least I can live with myself.
    Last edited by Illen A. Cluf; 11-04-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    For some reason people see money as a means of obtaining what they want. They equate them with food, health and shelter. But in case you get the Stone, you can have those three (and more) without any money.

So, why force a field worker to spend his days doing something he hates in order to create your food. Why force a builder to make your house. Creating and selling gold from the Stone, seems to be a twisted way to use it.

Even if I'm not a fan of "spiritual alchemy" as dev means it, reading his words here I understand its great value.

Plenty more, actually, if you are willing to look at them. For example, someone can inherit a lot of money and be set for life, another person could win the lottery and have all the money he could ever need, someone else could invest a small amount of money in a company that ends up blowing up huge a year later, etc. There are countless examples of poor people spontaneously, or even easily, becoming rich. But again, as JDP pointed out earlier, it is not about riches but about financial security. There are not only two options: 1) Busting ass working menial jobs earning a little bit of money, or 2) Successfully accomplish the Philosopher's Stone. Those are two extremes, yes, but not the only two options. Many options present themselves in the middle of the two. You know this though and for me to continue typing would be a waste of energy...

The poor are not poor because they want to be rich. Sure, it has a nice ring to it, but it is nothing more than a laughable statement with no merit.

Wanting to be rich does not make someone poor.

Have you read The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho...it will explain what Dev is saying.

Ghislain

I have read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and conpletely understand what dev is saying. I was just pointing out that his statement, while it sounds good and rolls off the tongue well, does not superficially make very much sense. Poor people are not poor because they want to be rich.

+ Reply to Thread