Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hyssop / Ezov rabbit hole

Blog Entries

Hyssop / Ezov rabbit hole

Funny how things go. I read on Facebook (since I have liked the Mozart page) that when Mozart was 14, he famously heard ‘Allegri’s Miserere’ in the Sistine Chapel and wrote it all down entirely from memory...

So I wasn't sure what song that was so I googled it...

I recognized it (beautiful song) and became curious of the lyrics.

One part goes:

But lo, Thou requirest truth in the inward parts: and shalt make me to understand wisdom secretly.

Thou shalt purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    Sounds very interesting, I think. What is hyssop?

From Wiki:

Ezov is the Classical Hebrew name of a plant mentioned in the Bible in the context of religious rituals. ...translates the name as hyssop, and English translations of the Bible often follow this rendering. In the Bible, ezov [hyssop] is described as a small plant found on or near walls, with an aromatic odour. ...Jewish commentators identified ezov with za'atar, which may refer to various local herbs, including marjoram, oregano and thyme, which have aromatic and cleansing properties, grow wild in Israel, and can easily be bunched together to be used for sprinkling. The book of John in the New Testament mentions that hyssop was used, along with vinegar, to alleviate the thirst of Jesus, during his Passion. - source
    I am of the faith that the Passion is an allegorical initiation process. So this fits my beliefs like a glove.

I wonder if hyssop has any psychedelic qualities? For you absinthe drinkers you might now that wormwood is a mildly psychoactive, due to the key component, a chemical called thujone. This is also found in many common plants: yarrow, junipers, oregano, sage, hyssop, rosemary and savory, among others.

It seems, according to many alternative medicine websites, that hyssop is a natural remedy good for a number of things (google freely and see).

Finally ended up buying this book:

Thanks Facebook. It's how you use it, not how it is used (by most).

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I wonder if hyssop has any psychedelic qualities?
    It would be interesting to find out.

The only experience I have with the herb is taking a hyssop tincture after reciting Psalms 51 -- the psalm from which "cleanse me with hyssop" originates.

I would say it was one of the most potent "purgatives" and "cleansers" I've ever experienced.

------------

On a more scientific note, the thujone of wormwood has a very short half-life. Not sure about other plants, because they haven't been persecuted like artemisia absinthium has been (on account of absinthe).

Basically, the longer a thujone-containing herb sits after being dried and stored, the less thujone it will have.

There's also alpha-thujone and beta-thujone.. but i forget everything about those
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

+ Reply to Thread