Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hyssop / Ezov rabbit hole

Blog Entries

Hyssop / Ezov rabbit hole

Funny how things go. I read on Facebook (since I have liked the Mozart page) that when Mozart was 14, he famously heard ‘Allegri’s Miserere’ in the Sistine Chapel and wrote it all down entirely from memory...

So I wasn't sure what song that was so I googled it...

I recognized it (beautiful song) and became curious of the lyrics.

One part goes:

But lo, Thou requirest truth in the inward parts: and shalt make me to understand wisdom secretly.

Thou shalt purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    Sounds very interesting, I think. What is hyssop?

From Wiki:

Ezov is the Classical Hebrew name of a plant mentioned in the Bible in the context of religious rituals. ...translates the name as hyssop, and English translations of the Bible often follow this rendering. In the Bible, ezov [hyssop] is described as a small plant found on or near walls, with an aromatic odour. ...Jewish commentators identified ezov with za'atar, which may refer to various local herbs, including marjoram, oregano and thyme, which have aromatic and cleansing properties, grow wild in Israel, and can easily be bunched together to be used for sprinkling. The book of John in the New Testament mentions that hyssop was used, along with vinegar, to alleviate the thirst of Jesus, during his Passion. - source
    I am of the faith that the Passion is an allegorical initiation process. So this fits my beliefs like a glove.

I wonder if hyssop has any psychedelic qualities? For you absinthe drinkers you might now that wormwood is a mildly psychoactive, due to the key component, a chemical called thujone. This is also found in many common plants: yarrow, junipers, oregano, sage, hyssop, rosemary and savory, among others.

It seems, according to many alternative medicine websites, that hyssop is a natural remedy good for a number of things (google freely and see).

Finally ended up buying this book:

Thanks Facebook. It's how you use it, not how it is used (by most).

Last edited by Awani; 01-27-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I wonder if hyssop has any psychedelic qualities?
    It would be interesting to find out.

The only experience I have with the herb is taking a hyssop tincture after reciting Psalms 51 -- the psalm from which "cleanse me with hyssop" originates.

I would say it was one of the most potent "purgatives" and "cleansers" I've ever experienced.

------------

On a more scientific note, the thujone of wormwood has a very short half-life. Not sure about other plants, because they haven't been persecuted like artemisia absinthium has been (on account of absinthe).

Basically, the longer a thujone-containing herb sits after being dried and stored, the less thujone it will have.

There's also alpha-thujone and beta-thujone.. but i forget everything about those
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    I discovered that book (the psychedelic gospels), looking into this hyssop thing. And the book does not mention the information about hyssop having those qualities... so now when I interviewed the author of the book I could tell him. He found it interesting and wanted me to provide the lyrics and the rest of the above post.

A glorious rabbit hole circle. The only way to roll...

Edit:
    Episode 169 - the psychedelic gospels
    Last edited by Awani; 04-09-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add link
    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Hi Awani,

A few quotes:

The Israelites used the hyssop in Egypt to splash the blood of the Easter victim on both posts of the door and the top part of the entry of his houses. (…x 12:21, 22.) in the inauguration of the agreement of the Law, Moses used hyssop to spray the book of the Law and to the village. (Heb 9:19.) the hyssop also was appearing in the ceremony of cleanliness that was done in favour of the persons or the houses that had been infected with leprosy (Him 14:2-7, 48-53; see I CLEAN, CLEANLINESS [Leprosy]), as well as on having prepared the ashes that had to use in ' water of cleanliness ', and on having splashed this water on certain things and persons. (Nķ 19:6, 9, 18.) because of it there was adapted that David was asking in prayer that he should purify of the sin by hyssop. (Sl 51:7.)

There is the one who believes that the hyssop mentioned in relation with Jesus' execution in a log (Jn 19:29) refers to the durra, a variety of the common sorghum (Sorghum vulgare), a high plant, of small grain, with long and broad leaves. Since in Palestine this plant is in the habit of reaching a height of almost 2 m., it might have provided a stem or "cane" of sufficient length as to bring over the sponge steeped in tart wine to Jesus' mouth. (Mt 27:48; Mr 15:36.) others think that enclosed in this case it might treat of the sweet marjoram, and say that probably a bunch of sweet marjoram stuck to the "cane" that Mateo and Frames mention. The third point of view is that Juan 19:29 was saying originally hys ∑ soi (it stings; dart), not hys ∑ s? ∑ poi (hyssop); of there that in some versions is translated "azagaya" (Ga), "lance" (BR), " sharp-pointed stick " (Sd) or "dart" (NC).

+ Reply to Thread