Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Degrees of Compassion

Blog Entries

Degrees of Compassion

For me real compassion is to help someone and get nothing in return. To do it without reward. Ironically this usually manifests in positive energy/events happening, so in the end you do get something in return. Looking at it like this selfishness is indirectly egoism.

Anyway that is not what I wanted to discuss.

Where do you draw the line?

There is a beggar that has been sitting outside my local supermarket for a long time. Recently it has bothered me that I have been ignoring this person, not even looking at him. Just plowing along doing by chores. So today I decided I was going to talk to him, befriend him even.

Alas we did not share any language so it was hard to have a conversation, but I gave him 10 Euros / Dollars (value equal as of writing).

Driving home I was think I could have given him 20 Euros / Dollars. It would not break me. In fact I had just spent the same amount buying lots of crap I really don't need... but that I would enjoy eating. I guess I could have given him 100 Euro / Dollars. I guess I could have invited him to stay with me for free and help him get his life together. I guess I could live at work for free and give my house up for a group of homeless people. I guess I could just give it all away to the less fortunate. I mean I know I would be alright. I am intelligent and skilled and white enough to bounce back without problem.

Why do I draw the line with 10 Euro / Dollars and not with making myself broke living on the streets?

After all if EVERYONE did this what a nice world it would be. If everyone has nothing and if everyone helps everyone there is no need for anything.

This has been weighing on me for some time now.

What do you guys/gals say? Where do you draw the line? And is it selfish to be cheap to not give more when you could, and just give a little? Is that not just compassion-Light and frowned upon by the intergalactic energy (or whatever)?

Last edited by Awani; 11-25-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life."

Addendum: .... and choose your 'fishing' students with discernment... Just like you would choose your teacher(s)... or lover(s)...

Blog Entries
    I know this concept (it is my day job after all) and I utter the phrase almost weekly.

But I can afford to teach more than one man to fish, I could teach a 1000 men to fish... but I might have to sacrifice everything in my own life. This is what I mean. Where do you draw the line?

Also this concept is only partially true. Sometimes a man needs a fish right now. And sometimes a 1000 men needs a fish. Today. Where do you draw the line? I can afford to buy 10 fish, but maybe not a million fish... although if I bring poverty on myself I could buy a million fish.

Where do you draw the line?
    Can compassion be with restraint, and if it is then isn't it just pseudo-compassion?

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    ...and choose your 'fishing' students with discernment... Just like you would choose your teacher(s)... or lover(s)...
    I don't think this concerns compassion for strangers. If I choose who to be compassionate to then I am a judgemental asshole. This only applies to student/mentor/teacher situations.

Blog Entries
    Many times it only takes one hit to get hooked. And then, the tolerance threshold rises and withdrawal is a bitch.

The 'line' does not exist until you cross it.

There are ways to 'embody' the savior/redeemer Archetype, none of which have been mentioned here so far IMSO.

In the video below, I think it's worth paying attention to the Judas/Jesus 'artistic differences'

Blog Entries
    There are ways to 'embody' the savior/redeemer Archetype, none of which have been mentioned here so far IMSO.
    Compassion for strangers could be viewed as saviour Archetype... or just IMO common decency. I support the latter.

Didn't mention it in my initial post but I have been experimenting with compassion for strangers a lot in the past few months (not all have been monetary). Everything from helping handicapped people, listening to a woman who waited for the train to see her husband in the hospital (and she was really down), giving food or money to people on the streets or simple things like a smile at the right moment etc. etc.

Anyone who has read many of my posts here know I am a proponent of "you create your own reality". Acting out compassion (big or small) does manifest itself in my reality... if nothing more than creating the feeling that something good was accomplished... and such feelings empower the self to be more at peace etc. Getting off track now.

The 'line' does not exist until you cross it.
    It is not that I would know when I have crossed it, because I already currently feel that "there is no line". That the true answer is to "go all the way". I just decided to leave this out so not to influence any replies to this thread. In other words make sure a stranger is fed rather than myself. See someone that has not eaten get a meal whilst I am starving... that is where I suspect the "true" end game lies. Any point where you stop before you go that far is pseudo-compassion.

Or is it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    the true answer is to "go all the way". I just decided to leave this out so not to influence any replies to this thread. In other words make sure a stranger is fed rather than myself. See someone that has not eaten get a meal whilst I am starving... that is where I suspect the "true" end game lies. Any point where you stop before you go that far is pseudo-compassion. Or is it?
    If you're starving, you can't feed anyone. And you'll starve long before everyone else is fed.

On flights, they always tell you to FIRST put on YOUR oxygen mask BEFORE helping others putting on theirs.

If you can't breath yourself, you are of no practical worth helping others to do the same.

Blog Entries
    If you're starving, you can't feed anyone. And you'll starve long before everyone else is fed.
    I am intelligent and skilled and white enough to bounce back without problem.
    That won't happen. But I could still live materialistically and monetarily much "less" and still help strangers. Currently I live in a house and I have at least two "rooms" (if you count the garage) that could be used by homeless people. The fact that I don't give it to them makes me a bit of a selfish asshole. Or does it?

I don't want to be the centre object of this question. I just use myself to explain my thinking. Same goes for everyone in this forum. I am sure you could still be fine and aid others, but you don't(maybe you do - just saying).

If you don't care about walking a path of compassion it doesn't matter. But if you do then where do you say "enough". Or is it like I suspect never enough, because if you say enough you are only playing compassionate instead of being compassionate.

Blog Entries
    But if you do then where do you say "enough". Or is it like I suspect never enough, because if you say enough you are only playing compassionate instead of being compassionate.
    That won't happen. But I could still live materialistically and monetarily much "less" and still help strangers.
    Not if you go 'all the way', not if you never say 'enough'. Like I said before, you find the line when you cross it

I am sure you could still be fine and aid others, but you don't (maybe you do - just saying).
    I am actually aiding many others (for free) with my own particular skill-set, I just don't really mention it (except now, for this topic).

If you don't care about walking a path of compassion it doesn't matter.
    My 'Path' - I fail miserably every time I attempt to convey it in words. However, my conduct loosely resembles this:

Ecclesiastes 3 New International Version (NIV)
    A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    6 a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    8 a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

Blog Entries
    I am sure you could still be fine and aid others, but you don't (maybe you do - just saying).
    If you don't care about walking a path of compassion it doesn't matter.
    I have a bad habit of writing YOU when I mean "you" as in "humanity"... so everything I wrote wasn't you-Andro, rather you-people.

Ecclesiastes 3 New International Version (NIV) A Time for Everything
    There is no time.

Last edited by Awani; 11-25-2016 at 07:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread