Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Calcination surface

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    I am gonna use the Spirit (Mercury) of Dionysus to draw off the Sulphur, only problem is the God of the communists has deemed such an act as "sinful" and therefore "severely" punished which makes the acquisition of said Spirit a rough task that i will have to improvise to pull off.
    If you're referring to SV (Alcohol from grapes/wine), you can distill it yourself from wine or brandy... Are those legal to purchase in your area? I'm sure there a few threads here about distilling SV...

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    But if you want to calcine more corrosive materials that will affect metals, like salts, or making some metal oxides that attack metals, for example, then you will need refractory clay dishes, and you should only gradually increase the temperature when using them, do not expose them from room-temperature directly to an open flame or what happened to your "fireproof porcelain dish" might happen again. Ceramics need to be heated gradually, slowly, not given huge sudden thermal shocks. Even the best refractory materials can fail if you give them such a harsh change of temperature all of a sudden. This is even more so the larger the ceramic pieces are. If you don't have a furnace/kiln to carry out the calcinations in, you need to first heat the ceramic dishes at milder temperatures, like those of an electric heating plate. By slowly increasing the temperature you will get them hot enough to be moved on top of a YELLOW flame of a gas burner with less danger of the ceramic material developing cracks or shattering. Then you can start to slowly increase the temperature of the gas flame to BLUE in order to get the ceramic red hot.
    My experience with ceramic is:
    A) CERAMIC THING I BOUGHT AT THE SUPERMARKET: without caring how many precautions I have, I always end up with a crack in the ceramic... it may not happen in the first time, sometimes they last for 10 uses (though usually it is less)... and they break... even if the increase and decrease of temperature has been VERY gradual.

B) CERAMIC THING I BOUGHT AT THE LAB EQUIPMENT SUPPLIER: it can be a crucible, a capsule, etc... They don't break even if I am not cautious at all.

This is me and a friend doing something with a porcelain crucible (it didn't have any vegetable materials, but it's the same thing):

(As you can see, it is "red hot" in the second picture and no flame is cooling it gradually... this crucible is probably 5 years old and it went through all the imaginable "aberrations" when it comes to heat... it doesn't even have a minor crack and it looks as if it was "new").

I'd say that if you have the chance of purchasing porcelain capsules made for lab use... you can use them without having any "caution"... whilst "supermarket dishes", "the porcelain dish that grandma had", etc... without caring how careful you are, they always end up breaking (maybe not the first time, but after using them a few times, they break).

... and when it comes to Lab equipment, the simple porcelain capsules and crucibles are super cheap (if you lived in my city, I would tell you which shop has big sized capsules... sometimes it is hard to find them bigger than 200 or 300 ML... but if you visit several shops, you may end up finding one with 500 ML capacity... and they don't break).

I got a porcelain capsule from a lab supply store yesterday for 12 euros (which is kinda more than i was expecting).

Andro the reason i am talking about Spirit of Dionysus in code is ,again, because the God of the communists has deemed it illegal to possess

Blog Entries
    Andro the reason i am talking about Spirit of Dionysus in code is ,again, because the God of the communists has deemed it illegal to possess
    Is it possible that you're not even writing it explicitly because of Internet censorship in your country?

Would it be also illegal to share what country you live in?

There are people here from all over the world, maybe there are others from your area who can help with this issue...

I got a porcelain capsule from a lab supply store yesterday for 12 euros (which is kinda more than i was expecting).
    For some reason the cost of the equipment changes a lot from country to country. I can buy 3 or 4 dishes for 12 Euros here... BUT the glass equipment is a bit more expensive than what they pay in Europe and the USA. So each country has advantages and disadvantages.

I am confused about the issues that your place has with SV.

Andro and zoas23 we don't really have net censorship here (Greece) as far as i am aware but possessing SV is illegal because "you can manufacture a bunch of dangerous stuff" as they informed me in a liquor store who asked for 42 euros to give me half a litre of high grade SV. The reason i speak in code is cause i am getting a bit paranoid. Plus, its actually fun As for how i will aquire it, i have almost made a draft setup that i think is good enough to draw out the SV and potentially rectify it later on. The only problem that remains is the temprature regulation.

Blog Entries
    I think there are a few people from Greece around here...

The only problem that remains is the temperature regulation.
    When we made our first SV from wine barrel leftovers (I definitely recommend home-made SV rather than store-bought), we used a common gas stove and a thermometer, and adjusted the flame/heat manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    I think there are a few people from Greece around here...

When we made our first SV from wine barrel leftovers (I definitely recommend home-made SV rather than store-bought), we used a common gas stove and a thermometer, and adjusted the flame/heat manually.
    By the way i got some cork stuck inside the copper tube (dont ask how), will it pose a problem? Fluids can still run through the tube.

+ Reply to Thread