Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hermeticism vs. Gnosticism - Differences

Hermeticism vs. Gnosticism - Differences

Hi,

what is the difference between the both or how are they related? I often read that hermeticism belongs to gnosticism (or the other way around), and that the one is a subsection of the other. I know that the gnosticism has various branches, like the Rosicrucians for example. But Hermeticism??

Gnosticism:

-Has a transcendent god
    -Has a fake creator god, named Demiurge, it created the physical universe
    -The Demiurge has servants, called Archons, who are the connection joints between the humans and the Demiurge
    -Gnosticism is partly connected to Christianity (???)

Hermeticism:

-No creator god, just the one and only
    -God aka "the All" is beyond comprehension
    -Apparently one of the oldest philosophies and cradle of all (?) religions
    -The universe(s) is/are a mental dream of the All, or rather a divine meditation and hence outside of the "All".

I wrote down a lot of half knowledge and some speculation. I try to learn and understand how Gnosticism and Hermeticism are connected or rather the opposite, separated? Corrections of my statements and further explanations are highly welcomed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Quarrox; 01-17-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think you are indeed proposing the 'right' questions...

I suppose this thread could turn into a very interesting discussion, if it picks up

Andro, thanks. Hopefully! I tried to find direct comparisons of the two in the internet, so far without success.

Blog Entries
    I would say that they are equal and seperate as well. Gnosticism is, IMO, true Christianity. The Demiurge you mention is the God of the old testament.

Hermeticism is more of a philosophical and esoteric concept from the works of "hermes". It is hermeticism that, in a sense, has moved laboratory alchemy into the realm of spiritual alchemy.

Gnosticism is a modern word and refer to the early followers of Jesus.

Also if a God is not a creator it is not a God.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    I would also not say Rosicrucianism is a branch of Gnosticism, rather a branch of Hermeticism.

Gnosticism is stand-alone origin-Christianity.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I would say that they are equal and separate as well. Gnosticism is, IMO, true Christianity.
    Jehovah? A god that punishes and demands worshipping? So why does the transcendent God "allow" the Demiurge to act like it desires? I think the point in Gnosticism is becoming enlightened and aware of the true nature of God and ourselves. What role does the Demiurge play in this scenario? The Demiurge must be a creation of the supreme God, so it must have a purpose, right?

I like your summary.

Blog Entries
    The Demiurge is Satan. Satan is a fallen angel. Archetypically speaking that is.

You cannot learn about love if there is no hate.

Last edited by Awani; 01-17-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo

And now a lot more makes sense

Thank you Dev, i must rest and think about it for a while. Thumbs up!

Blog Entries
    No problem. But keep in mind that this is my view. The true truth can only come from within... I don't claim authority in these matters, only authorship of my own views.

Yes, sure. Don't worry, it is just another puzzle piece to think about, to contemplate. Perhaps i will reject the puzzle piece again and try to find one that fits better. :-)

+ Reply to Thread