Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Vinegar distillation

Whilst sadly there are people who do sell oils (elixir mixer bought some), these derived from work with metals, perhaps you are correct JDP.
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 03-19-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Edited

So if we prudently estimate twice frozen vinegar is say 20% acetic acid concentration I make that about 90grams of powdered mineral carbonate/oxide to a 1 gallon (4.55litre) demijohn.

Using demijohns and putting them on a pet warming pad, giving them a shake daily sounds doable to me. It allows for a steady stream of production without going into some kind of expensive large scale production with vats of wine and vinegar filling the whole garage. Looking on Facebook homebrew pages there are plenty of people who do exactly that though with lots of expensive gear. I am brewing 15-20 demijohns of wine a month so a relatively small scale operation compared to what I have seen some homebrew enthusiasts produce.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I don't think it is possible to reach such concentrations by freezing alone under normal atmospheric conditions:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ax...ntrate&f=false

"The highest concentration attained in practice by freezing vinegar under atmospheric conditions is 26% of acetic acid." (page 210)

Another problem to consider is that even distilled vinegar nowadays is contaminated with solid additives (not sure why do manufacturers feel the need to do this, it's not like vinegar "spoils", there should be no need to add preservatives to it):

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...4721#post34721

Getting rid of these solid additives would help to dispense with the need to re-distill the distilled vinegar. Soluble lead salts (like lead acetate, for example), which readily combines with these additives and forms a white precipitate, are one possible solution. If you intend to use the vinegar for experiments involving lead, or where the presence of small amounts of lead salts are not a problem, then no further work is needed on the commercial distilled vinegar. You can simply concentrate it up to about 26% by freezing and then treat it with a solution of a soluble lead salt until no more precipitate forms and then filter the resulting vinegar.

But if you want to get rid of the remaining lead salt, I've been thinking that maybe it should be possible to do this by treating the lead-contaminated vinegar with hydrogen sulfide gas, until no more black lead sulfide precipitate forms. Then you filter the vinegar and get rid of whatever traces of hydrogen sulfide gas might remain dissolved in the vinegar by warming it for an hour or two. Needs to be tested. If it works, it would give you a more concentrated vinegar (about 26%, as opposed to the usual 5 to 9% concentration of commercial distilled vinegars) without any solid additives, and no re-distillation would be involved.
    The above method has now been tested. Seems to work very well. I tested a sample of the treated commercial distilled vinegar with sulfuric acid and not white precipitate formed, meaning that no lead was present after the excess of lead acetate was precipitated by the hydrogen sulfide gas. This method allows one to get rid of whatever is that bothersome crap they put in distilled vinegar (and who knows why, because, as already stated, distilled vinegar DOES NOT "SPOIL", there is no need to add anything to it!) without having to tediously distill it again.

Thanks for sharing your practical findings JDP. I look forward to hearing more about your work as time goes by.

Improvised Alembic using glass teapot, silicone rubber soft funnel and 2ltr erhlenmeyer flask.

Hopefully the gradually narrowing outlet will encourage the acetic acid to reflux more than the water does and water will primarily come out of the spout. If it dribbles down the side of the flask as well the saucepan will catch it. The stains on the PVC tubing are mildew as this piece of tubing was previously used for coolant water flow to Liebig condenser. The water might not evaporate but I'd don't want to heat the vinegar above 90C so I can always try a smaller 1 litre flask maybe.

If this works I will be delighted because vacuum distilling requires more supervision.
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 09-23-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added a bit

Blog Entries
    Good effort Axis!
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

It works kind of with no funnel so a larger outlet. I'm hoping that the vinegar mainly drops back down into the liquid and the water vapour escapes. We shall see, I can use PH papers and test with some eggshells because I have already tested the diluted vinegar in this way. It is slow but you can just let it run unlike with vacuum distillation which I find needs supervision especially of the cold trap.

It didn't really work I'm getting about 25% of the vinegar coming over with the water. Vacuum distilling saves virtually all the vinegar but it needs much more supervision. I have a new wacky plan for another try of sweating water out of vinegar which I will probably try tomorrow.

Edit: waiting for a part ordered. I know I could just see if I can get an alembic for this but it would be nice to find another solution because Alembic's are not commonly available. Also I have a fair bit of push to fit lab glass so I'm trying to stick with that because different pieces have several uses.
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 09-26-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Waiting for a part.

+ Reply to Thread