Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Vinegar distillation

Just having a vigreaux column will separate the acetic acid from the water, this is no problem, very easy. The condensation plates in the column will cause the acetic acid to drip back down to the boiling flask and the water will come over the still head. Doing this with the temperature at the still head below 90centigrade requires partial pressure in the distillation train which I can do easily without even needing a cold trap. It’s just a modern solution and I was thinking how did medieval Alchemists do it. The answer is I think long and painstakingly by slowly sweating the water out of the vinegar.

My interest in Acetate Alchemy is prompted by two factors. Acetic acid has been available for thousands of years and many metal acetates are not toxic. The most dangerous one is lead acetate because of it’s slow accumulation in the human body. Lead I find perversely mentioned in many Alchemy texts. I do not work with lead apart from a brief initial investigation at the beginning of this research. I think a strong dose of what I refer to as common sense cuts through a lot of the confusion in Alchemy texts which is why I have little time for all the flowery stuff. It could be that acetic acid serves no use in Alchemy however I am having fun. The utility of acetic acid needs to be verified by me because it seems people on this forum have only used commercial stuff which I think in the modern day is not always produced via fermentation. Fermentation/putrefacto is an import part of Alchemy I personally feel. There is also the late Jean Dubui’s theory of vegetable life which is why I separate the acetic acid below 90centigrade, this could be an important point not addressed by others here as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:52 PM. Reason: Typos

You might also consider the history of antimony, as much of what I can find says that antimony and lead were often confused with eachother, so perhaps the "lead" they speak of isn't actually lead at all, but antimony in disguise. Just something to consider.

I don't know about the toxicity, but if I ever get to extracting basic oils from metallic compounds, I'll most likely use acetates unless I can find something better that would have also been available. I tested some "burnt water" on copper but it did nothing over 48 hours. Perhaps it needs to be rectified and concentrated. I've been throwing it out, thinking that it was a mistake, but recently wondering about the "burnt wine" of philosophers, which could in theory also apply to vinegar. I'm glad that you are addressing this topic. Without experimentation on results, we really don't know anything, and my lab is a one-pot setup, so I can't run 10 concurrent experiments at the same time.

I currently have 4 things running I donít think I could manage ten. Most stuff has periods of incubation or gentle evaporation so you can organise projects so one is being distilled whilst another is incubating.

Quote Originally Posted by Axismundi000 View Post
    I currently have 4 things running I don’t think I could manage ten. Most stuff has periods of incubation or gentle evaporation so you can organise projects so one is being distilled whilst another is incubating.
    I didn't mean to imply anything, just pointing out how much sharing can help everyone learn, and glad to be following your progress.

No problem, remember this is just a forum DT. I wish I did have the time, money and facilities to run ten projects simultaneously. Sadly my wife has found herself unsuitable for the role of toiling apprentice.

+ Reply to Thread