Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Seaweed Elixir - First Basic (Luna)

Blog Entries

Seaweed Elixir - First Basic (Luna)

I have decided to go right back to basics, and complete the path traditionally(?) by creating the seven basics.

But this time, I will be doing my uttermost, to document, photograph, and go through thoroughly, step by step, how one would perform these works, the challengers one might face, the documented results upon ingestion and much MUCH MORE!

I do, after all, try my best to bring a bit of excitement to this already magestic place.

I will be taking the collective advice I've received from forum members, I will be trying some low level Theurgical magics, I'll be purging before any of this. I will be progressing from Malkuth up to Kether, following the serpents path back up the ladder. I am thus creating a Luna Elixir, and are seeking to encapsulate not only the powers of the moon, but also of 'Yesod'

This is the true beginning of my alchemical journey, and shall be documented, all the way from now, until I have made 7 plant elixirs, a plant stone, 7 metallic elixirs, and a metallic stone.

OUR FIRST TOPIC: Seaweed!

The correlation between seaweed and the moon will be obvious to most hermetically trained people. The Ocean has always been a huge source of life for our planet and is a symbol and even in part, quite literally the essence of our subconscious mind.

The energies of 'Yesod' bring us in touch with this subconscious mind. It calls the practitioner to inversion and introspection. 'Yesod', associated with the moon, has also been thought to be attached to the astral realm, others again believe is it 'the garden of eden'. In seek of its true nature, we look to our plant, our process, and seek to capture, create and unite with a great power.

SEPHIRA YESOD (Foundation)
    GOD FORCE SHA-DAI EL CHAI (Almighty Living God) *EL SHADDAI* (IMO)
    ANGELIC ORDER KERUBEEM (Strong Ones)
    ARCHANGEL GABRIEL (Man-God)
    SOUL NEPHESH (Lower Self)

Soo.... some kind of ritual and talisman will be used in conjunction with those energies shown above.

Well, here we goes guys, I invite you to come with me in what should be a great journey of discovery and insight. I will one day probably even use what I learn here to do an epic YouTube channel, or at least a 7 piece mini-series.

I'll get my camera ready and set up a distillation train. First job, distil some Spirit of Wine!
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    Using sushi seaweed. Chemical Breakdown info:

Porphyra yezoensis
    Red Algae
    7.8% Ash content apparently
    44.4% Carbohydrates
    43.6% Proteins
    2.1% Fat
    2.4% Potassium
    0.6% Sodium

ADDITIONAL NOTE: No Iodine detected!? (They always tell us seaweed has iodine, but its only certain kinds. Sushi's not one of them. Rip off ey!)
    Last edited by elixirmixer; 02-14-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Note
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    As well as the nutritional break down above, Porphyra yezoensis, or "Nori" in Japenese has additional medicinal qualities:

High in B vitamins.
    Apparently Iodine, although I suspect it is a very minute amount.
    High Un-saturated fat percentage, including up to 50% EPA (that's a very good fat for the heart)
    Trace minerals such as Zinc, Copper, and Selenium
    Amino acids alanine, aspartic acid, glycine, glutamic acid, lysine, arginine, leucine, histidine, and isoleucine. Thats a decent spread!

I've also heard that the full moon can drain you of your B Vitamins so its interesting that the seaweed has a lot of them...

Blog Entries
    Seems like a good system, elixirmixer. Can't wait to read more about the progress.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

ElixirMixer,

Really looking forward to your progress and hope to learn from you. No pressure

BTW, your infectious personality comes right through in these forums. It's actually fun to read your posts.

BTW, you have the distinct honor of me having subscribed to your thread

Blog Entries
    Awww that's really sweet Aham, it's my birthday today and that was a lovely message to wake up to. I've got a big day of organising the lab to being with the work. Hope to get something happening today

I feel very privileged to have been subscribed to

Blog Entries
    As to the type of elixirs we'll be preparing, one has the options of which method he wishes to use.

The easiest way, the most likely to perform by beginners, and in fact, my preferred method, is a simple alcohol extract, followed by gentle distillation, a calcining of the salts, and then a recombining.

Nah, just joking! Having ElixirMixer create only the most basic of elixirs would jut be disappointing wouldn't it!!

We are going with the full traditional method (way more work involved) but the quality of these preparations can be significantly stronger than with that of the simpler method.

This practise involves first a soft steam distillation, followed by a fermenting of the left over organic matter. These first two steps, while quite time consuming, and often a little tricky, will give us our desired Sulfur and Mercury as many of you well know.

The coolest part: Even though there is just a f'ing rediculously amount of science equipment around here (I really need to have a garage sale) I'm goin to be performing this as GHETTO as possible

You will watch me struggle and sweat to calcine my material. It has been certainly a great pain in my ass to try and obtain white salts, although, I am looking for a Bunsen burner to perform things they way Steve K did in his salt volitization experiment. I did achieve white salts on my last Lemon Balm Fixed Elixir (which was a lovely success btw).

YOU WILL SEE MY FCUK THINGS UP! Almost every experiment I've ever done, has had in one form or another, a major catastrophe, of which I needed to introduce problem solving skills to adapt to each situation. It is these, 'un-forseen' events, and learning to deal with these challenges, that will turn you into a good Mixer.

SO, as all these things do take time, and because I am a very disorganised person, forgive me for any delays, and I encourage anyone wishing to make the seven basics, to come on this journey with me! Perhaps I will make a comprehensive list of the minimum equipment required, and if anyone would like to come on the journey, let me know, I've got all the time in the world to share my stupidity with others
    Last edited by elixirmixer; 02-14-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    If there is anyone that intends to follow me through this great adventure, you are going to need at least these things:

Some way to distill. I will be using a standard, simple glassware set-up for this. Trying to distill things by other means, while fun an interesting as a beginner, is far to much effort for what is already a pretty large task ahead. I recommend paying the $250 or so on EBAY for an 'Advanced organic chemistry kit' it's cheap, it works, it gives you all the glass you will need for some time.

Heating: One of the reasons I am running this thread, is because if I went back and started again, I would have done things a lot differently, mainly concerning all the equipment I have paid for, just to later Realize that it is not ideal.

Heating mantles can be a huge waste of money, I find that a water bath on a FLAT heating element is far more versatile.

If you want to go professional, go get yourself a 'RAPIDFIRE PRO' kiln. These kilns are worth about $800. Honestly, I know that sounds like a lot of money, but the head kcuf you will save yourself, and the increased quality of your calcined ashes will pay for itself in no time.

I won't be using a kiln, as I wasted my money on other useless equipments. So you will watch me experience the heavy pains of calcining without a kiln. Certainly one of the most frustrating parts of Alchemy. IMO.

You will do well to have some fermenting jars, I understand they are quite common in the States, I'm sure Europe has them also, they arnt as common in Australia because Australia's are, for the most part, dumb, and 98% of the population would have no idea of the benefits of fermenting your own foods, even if they did, it's not in the Aussie way to be self-creating. We just buy stuff when we want it. Sounds like a great lifestyle but it actually turns you into a shit person and is destroying the internal economy of our country.

Ummm..... It would be very nice to have an actual essential oils steam distillation set-up, again, if I could go back, I would have bought one of these. Takes the stress and guess work out of oil production. They are worth about $500. I am soon to complete a huge S/S oil extractor, since my main interest in plant alchemy has become salt volitization, and I want heaps of oil.

Otherwise, we will make do with what we have, which is going to be the standard distillation train, meaning a hydro-distillation. This yields a slightly less quality of oil. Scientifically speaking, because water is a polar molecule, the more water you use on these oils, the more of the water-soluoble polar molecules in the oil, you will lose, in the hydrosol.
    Rule of thumb, when distilling oils, use the minimum amount of water required and distill no longer than half an hour with each batch of plant material. Most of the oil will come out in the first half an hour, and any additional time (here, time is not money, it's water) means more water, which means more of the good stuff stripped from your oils, into your hydro-sol.
    That goes for all of you here, less is more when it comes to obtaining your sulphurs.

Seaweed! I do suggest, for anyone intending to catch a ride on my voyage of evolution, that they use the same plants that I am using, or at least similar, due simply to the fact that as problems arise (and problems differ from plant to plant) we can work together to problem solve a lot easier if we are on the same page, the same plant, ect. I'm also happy for you to follow along and do whatever you like anyway, however, similar plants will make this a more effective tutorial.

Water pump and hosing for your condenser.
    Retort stands! AND clamps! Nothing more annoying than buying a new glassware kit, and retort stands, only to Realize you didn't even buy the clamps to hold the stuff up with. Yes, I am that stupid.

If you've got the balls you could vacuum distill, it does increase te quality of products but it's a skill I have not learnt and won't be using.

Shit, back to heating, I haven't tried it yet but Steve K just used a Bunsen burner connected to a propane gas bottle, and a S/S bowl. This seemed easy, and with good effect, so I will be seeking to replicate this, since I usually jump back and forth between stove-top (don't tell the wife) fireplace (great during summer) and blowtorch. This is inefficient. Time consuming. Sometimes just simply dangerous. Get a Bunsen burner or a kiln.

This is basically a free apprenticeship in alchemy, if you follow this through, you will save yourselves a lot of time, a lot of money, and avoid some of the Hazards that have unexpectedly jumped into my eyeballs in the past.

Um... We are making our own spirit from the plants, but a source of wine spirit is very handy for cleaning apparatus, and other uses. Find a local vineyard and say "I will work in exchange for an epic deal on a barrel of wine"... Works every time

Am I forgetting anything? Oh yeah, if you think that Alchemy will bring miracles into your life, be prepared to wait about 20 years to recieve them. Will these medicines and experiences change your life? Yes. Will they drag your atheist butt up into the heavens? Not likely, the Hermetic arts consist of Alchemy, Kabbalah (or theurgy) and Astrology/Astronomy.

Some of you might not be aware, but a lot of early alchemist have hardly any credit at all to their Elixirs in their own right. They more viewed Alchemical Elixirs as well prepared vessels, capable of absorbing, and storing, spiritual energies. They would make the elixir, then perform rituals to attract these powers into the Elixir. That is what we shall be doing in this course. (I will also warn, that I am an absolute complete novice when it comes to ritualistic magics. All of my actions will be documented, I'm sure others here will point out any seriously dangerous errors, and I, personally, recommend that you DO NOT participate in the ritualistic side of my journey, as I am simply not qualified by any means, to be teaching such things. Real magic can be dangerous. There are plenty of witches and warlocks in psycho-wards as evidence of that.)

Mortar and Pessil
    Big sharp knife for the same purpose
    Heat resistant pad/ tiles
    Paper towel - if your like me, this can get really messy, although, I am trying to enter into this path with a hope of finding professionalism along the way.

And last, but not least, a desire to help others. If you are trying to make medicine, it must be with the intent to help others be released from their pain. To try to create from any other source is a great cause for alarm, and could lead to a pre-mature death within the Lab. God has many secrets, that He wishes to reveal, but He usually prefers it when they are revealed through the righteous. Alchemy is Gods medicinal science. Don't try to mess with it, dont try to use these methods to procure 'deadly-nightshade' or any other poisons.

These are serious warnings. I have had huge clouds of ether and HCL spray all in my face and surround me in a highly explosive cloud of acidified-ether. Right now I'm looking at a hole in my finger that ate through my
    Skin in the middle of the night because I didn't notice that I had gotten some acetic acid on my finger.
    Being a dickhead in the Lab is super fuckin' dangerous, so unless your a professional dickhead like me, take head of the warning. Think about what your doing before you do it. Do not use chemicals straight out of there bottle, ALWAYS measure out what you need and put the rest back before you use any of it.

One last time: PEOPLE DIE PRACTISING ALCHEMY. ENTER THIS PATH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Now that I've giving you that epic motivational speech, I'm goin to go clean the lab and get ready, and I invite anyone to ask questions, or remind me of things we might need to address, before we being.

I am not a teacher, I am a student, who chooses to learn by teaching others. You are my friends and brothers in art and each one of you will have something worth while to ad to this thread I'm sure.

Let's go be Alchemists
    Last edited by elixirmixer; 02-14-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Awww that's really sweet Aham, it's my birthday today and that was a lovely message to wake up to. I've got a big day of organising the lab to being with the work. Hope to get something happening today

I feel very privileged to have been subscribed to
    Happy Birthday ElixirMixer!! It's awesome that you get to restart your journey on your birthday. Be safe and happy travels We're all rooting for you

ElixirMixer, I would really like to follow along and keep you company but with the current demands on my time, it will be bit difficult. If lucky I'm guessing I will have 2-4 hours per week. Not sure if that's enough time or not and you also seem to have an unlimited amount of energy so worried about keeping up

Maybe as you get going and the pace seems doable plus my situation changes, I might take you up on the offer. No promises just yet.

One thing to note - while you are enjoying summer many of us in the other hemisphere are dealing with snow and winter and don't quite have the ability to pick up fresh plants for the work (with exceptions of course) so if you're not getting lot of takers on this journey it could just be weather related. Easy to blame the weather

PS: Your advice on equipment is very helpful.

+ Reply to Thread