Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Apprentice WANTED

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    WARNING: NITRATE SALTS, found in both dew and rainwater collected during a thunderstorm CAN BE HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE. This water experiment has, from what I have read in the text, killed quite a few practitioners. Water has a great many properties, and when subject to our trade, these properties can come forth in a mighty way. Typically, in this experiment, I believe it is highly favourable to have the entire flask lutes and wrapped in wire etc... To 'bottle' the pressures.

ONCE MORE: I have not performed this experiment yet, but I have heard THAT IT CAN BE EXPLOSIVE, attempt at your own risk, and DO YOUR RESEARCH from more qualified sources than this.
    A reminder: Safety First!

I have heard THAT IT CAN BE EXPLOSIVE, attempt at your own risk, and DO YOUR RESEARCH from more qualified sources than this. But other than that, what cooler fuckin thing than to have a bright red crystal from what started as just..... Sea water!?
    I do appreciate the advice however my wife's plan, to cash in on my life insurance policy, is now delayed...

I will get to the books you recommended but am still trying to slog through 'The Golden Chain'. A few here have recommended multiple reads of this seminal work and I'm on my 2nd pass of the 1st book. Between your sound advice and my re-reading Chapter 2 this morning, I'm realizing what many have said before in other places on the forum and also in this thread - our foundation has to be solid before attempting the great work; if we don't, we're essentially throwing money and time away, maybe even a limb or a life (paraphrasing). My initial enthusiasm overshadowed a responsible approach I'll just have to wait and keep my enthusiasm to dive-in, in check

Anyway, back to the book.

Fully agree. Safety First, Second and Third

Blog Entries

I conceed

Okay so perhaps I've jumped the gun.

Id be far better off seeking a mentor of my own, rather than seeking students.

Anyone looking for an apprentice?
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

You already have several very good mentors assisting and guiding you on this forum.

Blog Entries
    This is true, and for all of it I'm very grateful, but these assistances are more of a 'need to know' basis and not much of answering the actual questions I have.

Mostly it's been "ElixirMixer, your wrong, and up yourself, and addressing this whole thing from a less than ideal angle" now I can admit that, that is all true, and it has taken those slaps in the face to seek deeper truths and more foundational wisdoms.

Now, though, I seek actual guidance, and since I am moving more and more into mineral alchemy, trusted an truthful advice is of the uttermost value, in producing positive results and keeping me safe.

I have a question for you Mr Black. If you are willing to answer.

What would happen if I dry distilled fresh crushed Galena? Now I am not really looking for a direct response to the question, more of a, "your on the right tract" or "your stumbling down another false path"

I imagine this path will end up quite toxic, therefore I'm interested to know whether it is worth my time and difficulty.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

What would happen if I dry distilled fresh crushed Galena? Now I am not really looking for a direct response to the question, more of a, "your on the right tract" or "your stumbling down another false path"
    "You are stumbling down another false path".

I imagine this path will end up quite toxic, therefore I'm interested to know whether it is worth my time and difficulty.
    Not really, as galena does not contain anything "distillable" other than perhaps occasional residual humidity from its mineralization, but this is just common water, nothing "special" about it. Galena is just a compound of lead and sulfur. You will get nothing out of it with such a simplistic treatment. The only thing you might get out of it is some sublimates, like arsenic trioxide, for example, but only if the galena happens to be mixed with volatile minerals like arsenic sulfides. This would be merely by chance/accident, though. Pure galena won't give any volatile products.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Pure galena won't give any volatile products.
    I theoretically agree, as I've never worked with Galena.

I do remember reading, however, that it is recommended to work with the metals and minerals "straight from the mine." Working with the natural ore means the natural acids are still bound up.

But I would question whether or not sulphuric acid could be produced during the distillation of a substance containing H2O and sulphur.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

1 What have the Alchemy Forums mentors suggested that you do in the pursuit
    of the Great Work ?

2 If you are asking the question (whether or not to use galena ?) then it is possible that
    your alchemistic knowledge and understanding may need a little more study time.

3 Out of interest what would you do with galena ?

4 Lab work is always good practice to hone lab skills.
    BUT guessing what to work with in the lab is never a good idea !!!!!

I have also done my share of guessing in the past due to the lack of a Solid Alchemic
    Foundation.

Many years before Alchemy Forums Mentors and their good advice, I made many
    mistakes and am very, very lucky to be here today !!!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't call Galena a 'guess' so much.

There are texts that say that 'The Stone of Saturn' was the true philosophers stone. I do not agree with that statement, but I do believe it will make a stone that is a powerful detoxifier.

The art of distillation says that the stone of Saturn is such an effectual medicine, that if one can procure it, he need do very little else to find health and well being.

The reason that I have asked this question, and indeed, have a desire to dry distill lead Sulfide powder, is because of the Vinegar distillation thread, zko(?)'s hint about philosophical smokes, and yours, Mr Black and Andro's constant reminder that "I'm not thinking alchemically"

Since, Spagyrics have made philosophical waters with what is essentially a closed system, I am hoping that interesting results can be had in a closed system in the mineral realm.

+ Reply to Thread