Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speculum Sophicum Rhodostauroticum

Speculum Sophicum Rhodostauroticum

I'm madly in love with this text. There is a very good version here: http://atrightanglestoreality.blogsp...-cross-by.html

I am completely lost with just one thing... What does the author means when he uses the expression "Phy"???

I have some ideas, though none of them seems to make a lot of sense:

1) Maybe the root of several words such as Philosophy, Physiology, etc???

2) Maybe the greek letter Phy??? (Well, the "classical" symbol for the "Spiritus mundi acidus incorporeus" is similar to a Phy)... It can't be the "Phy" of the Golden Ratio, because the idea of using Phy to define the Golden Ratio proportion began to be used only in the XX century (even if the Golden Ratio itself is, of course, classical, but it was only associated with the letter Phy is contemporary times).

A second doubt I have is that the author insists a lot of reading the "two books" by Thomas ŕ Kempis... the problem is that Thomas ŕ Kempis wrote several books, not just two... If I take a wild guess, then one of them is PROBABLY "The imitation of Christ" (simply because it was his "popular book"... I mean, if someone tells me "Read the 2 books by Dante!", then I would assume that one of them is the Divine Comedy... the other one would be a bit harder to guess).

The thread is open to discuss any other ideas of such text...

Blog Entries
    The version you quoted uses Phy twice, according to my quick perusal:

O uncomprehending man "phy tibi tuisque?"
    Phy: saeculo! in quos incindimus annos.
    I am unfamiliar with the language..
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    The version you quoted uses Phy twice, according to my quick perusal:

I am unfamiliar with the language..
    It's Latin, but "phy" doesn't have any meaning in Latin....

The first one is hard to translate to English for me, but it would be "Phy for you and your friends?" (or "Phy for you and the ones like you?")... LOL, it's easier to translate it to Spanish for me.

The second one is: "Phy: The World! In which we have fallen for so many years". (An alternative translation would be: "Phy: The Time! etc".... Saeculo can either mean "The World" of "The Time"... it is the dative declension of " saeculum", which is the word that originated the English word "secular"... in most cases I would translate it as "time", but sometimes it is "world").

Blog Entries
    At first I thought it was Spanish...

Maybe it is some sort of colloquial expression?

Like, Lo!

It also seems like it's used as a noun. Maybe a name or something similar?

Curious.
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 02-27-2017 at 03:24 AM.

The author uses a lot of quite weird Latin expressions and sometimes he invents words... though it's easy to follow him when he does such thing (i.e, first time I see the word "Philopansophus"... which would be like "friend of the Pansophia" in the same sense that "Philosophy" means "friend of Wisdom/Sophia")....

But with his "Phy" I am 100% lost.

What I specially like about this text is the two concepts of Parergon and Ergon...
    It became "fashionable" to talk about the "Spiritus Mundi", but I am not very much in love with that term because it leads to some confusion (it is my opinion that the famous "Spiritus Mundi" that we get is "Parergon" when we get it -unless someone is using a different method that gives him "Ergon" directly).

Blog Entries
    I can agree. When terms or things become fashionable they tend to exclude certain important terms and concepts.

For example Spiritus Mundi and its counterpart.

This is probably a contemptuous interjection, "Fie!" in English.
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...0059:entry=phy
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fie

BTW, Schweighardt's 'Pandora' mentioned in the Speculum has recently been translated by Paul Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by 3+O( View Post
    This is probably a contemptuous interjection, "Fie!" in English.
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...0059:entry=phy
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fie

BTW, Schweighardt's 'Pandora' mentioned in the Speculum has recently been translated by Paul Ferguson
    Thank you for the PHY... LOL, I was getting dizzy and it was simply that simple thing, an interjection that I didn't know and wasn't in my dictionaries.

Yes, I have the Pandoram (Though I certainly prefer this second work by him, which doesn't mean that the Pandoram is a bad text).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    For example Spiritus Mundi and its counterpart.
    What is its counterpart?

Blog Entries
    If Spiritus Mundi is the 'below', as a fixt earth, this necessarily implies an 'above'.

I don't know what to call it yet.

+ Reply to Thread