Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buddhism

Blog Entries
    Peace can't be sought.

Happiness is never found.

Blog Entries
    I must object. It is clearly incorrect from my perspective. Maybe they cannot be sought or found. But they can be embraced, retained or whatever word one wants to use. One leads to the other.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    they cannot be sought or found.
    That's pretty much what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I must object.
    Overruled! LOL

Blog Entries
    The semantic evidence is grounds for a mistrial.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

hi all

I always felt that it was our attachment to desires that were the the true root of 'suffering' in this context rather than desires alone. "Flatlining" as Monroe and Androgynus put it, sounds in line with the concept of a 'middle path' IMO.

from here: http://www.buddhanet.net/cbp2_f4.htm
    By observing the activities of mankind in real life, the Buddha mastered the principles of human behavior. He then taught the two characteristics of the Middle Path: The Middle Path of Dependent Origination and the Noble Eightfold Path. The Law of Dependent Origination explains the process of human activity. The Noble Eightfold Path shows the way of practice that enables one to uplift oneself.

"The Tathagatha avoids the two extremes
    and talks about the Middle Path.
    What this is, that is; this arises, that arises.
    Through ignorance volitional actions or karmic formations are conditioned.

Through birth, decay, death, lamentation, pain etc. are conditioned.
    When this is not, that is not; this ceasing, that ceases.
    Through the complete cessation of ignorance, volitional activities or karmic formations cease.
    Through the cessation of birth, death, decay, sorrow, etc. cease."

(Samyuktagama, Chapter 12)

"What this is, that is; this arising, that arises" is the principle of the Law of Dependent Origination; the Conditioned Genesis that says that, "Through ignorance volitional actions or karma-formations are conditioned" is the content of the Law of Dependent Origination.

The Law of Dependent Origination based on the Middle Path avoids attachment to the two extremes. This can be clearly seen in the Samyuktagama. Based on the Theory of Dependent Origination, in Chapter 12 the sutra says that "It is not one nor different". It also says that "It is not permanent nor discontinuous." In Chapter 13 it says, "It is not coming nor going." In chapter 7 it says, "It neither exists nor not exists." (This is the "Eighth Negation of the Middle Path" in the Madhyamika Sastra, an abstract from the Samyuktagama). The basic principle of the Law of Dependent Origination is, "What this is, that is; from this arising, that arises; when this is not, that is not; this ceasing, that ceases." It explains the creation, cessation and existence of all phenomena and all things.
    Last edited by Nibiru; 03-10-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    Still Searching.............

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
    I always felt that it was our attachment to desires that were the the true root of 'suffering' in this context rather than desires alone.
    For me a desire is an attachment by default. If you had no attachment you would not have any desire. The very moment the desire begins, even if you resist it, you are attached. IMO.

in a way, yes, they are varying degrees of a similar energy. Though I would think of it as the difference between something one enjoys vs an addiction, or desire vs attachment to the desire.

Blog Entries
    desire

- a strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen.

- strongly wish for or want (something).
    Want and Wish to me is a mental attachment without a doubt.

Don't try to talk your way out of your "pleasures". LOL.

I embrace my pleasurable desires Addiction or obsession with pleasure can become troublesome though. A practitioner may desire peace or liberation and this is a necessary part of their path, though once one becomes obsessed with obtaining liberation, they're then actually preventing that which they are seeking IMO..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
    though once one becomes obsessed with obtaining liberation...
    Yes that's what I have been preaching as well.

+ Reply to Thread