Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: English translation: Theoretical and practical - Golden Chain of Homer by Naxagoras

Blog Entries

Mod Post

Please remember:

Quote Originally Posted by Rules & Guidelines
    Posting private/restricted information without explicit permission from the other involved party/parties, such as (but not limited to) actual names, phone numbers, addresses (physical, email, skype, etc...), private correspondences and documents [is prohibited].
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 03-31-2017 at 06:27 PM.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    Gunnar Kossatz?
    that would indeed be me.

I assume you are talking about this book:

https://books.google.co.in/books?id=...nail&q&f=false

I had a brief look and can say this:

the google scan is mediocre, some parts are hard to read. The text is interspersed with latin which i dont speak. for small latin parts its no trouble getting a translation from someone who is unfamiliar with alchemy, for longer parts the misunderstandings due to misinterpretations will be significant.

the language is old german of course and that in itself does not pose a big hurdle (for people familiar with it) but to allow for practical workflow the text needed to be transcibed.

all in all I would put the effort lesser than the previous works I have done but still significant. If a proper payment would be required say of US$ 15.-/h this certainly would be too much for a small group of people to bear.

I guesstimate the workload to be > 100h for the translation to english with additional 15h for a book layout in indesign

wouldnt it be nice if the crowdfunding project had gone thru <just teasing>

-sam

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    that would indeed be me.

I assume you are talking about this book:

https://books.google.co.in/books?id=...nail&q&f=false

I had a brief look and can say this:

the google scan is mediocre, some parts are hard to read. The text is interspersed with latin which i dont speak. for small latin parts its no trouble getting a translation from someone who is unfamiliar with alchemy, for longer parts the misunderstandings due to misinterpretations will be significant.

the language is old german of course and that in itself does not pose a big hurdle (for people familiar with it) but to allow for practical workflow the text needed to be transcibed.

all in all I would put the effort lesser than the previous works I have done but still significant. If a proper payment would be required say of US$ 15.-/h this certainly would be too much for a small group of people to bear.

I guesstimate the workload to be > 100h for the translation to english with additional 15h for a book layout in indesign

wouldnt it be nice if the crowdfunding project had gone thru <just teasing>

-sam
    sam, I would be interested in a crowd funded translation and wondering if we could scrounge up say ~20 people. Would be a pricey book but maybe worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    sam, I would be interested in a crowd funded translation and wondering if we could scrounge up say ~20 people. Would be a pricey book but maybe worth the effort.
    totally with you - if you organize payment. I have done my deeds and more re: crowdfunding, but best of luck.

I doubt it though. considering the echo on my earlier efforts towards such an undertaking.

20 people would likely not be enough. nobody pays close to 100 bucks for a book like that. try 50 people and you may have some success.

also consider that the cost I suggested are meant for the rights to stay with the translator - the crowdfunders would get a relatively costly copy and everybody else a much cheaper copy later when the book is published thru LULU or some such.
    So you are looking for 50 generous souls.

-sam

+ Reply to Thread