Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Post your lab pics

Post your lab pics

I thought it would be interesting for us to share what our labs look like.

I believe we've all seen Axismundi's inverted lab pics (which he says show up right side up on his iPad) and ElixirMixer's ummm.... lab parts? Can't tell if his pics were before the hurricane or after... LOL Sorry, EM, I'm having fun at your expense

So after weeks of working stuff out with da wife, I have the final pieces of my new lab put together. Here's a pic:

The image is a bit staged as my previous version of the lab didn't look like this but I think the trick will be to keep it looking nice and clean so that it motivates me to do more work in the lab.

My fav lab is on this youtube video but you can only watch the video if you go to youtube.

So letís see your lab pics.

Blog Entries
    That's a clean looking setup! Sweet maps too.

I have a table with bottles on it at the moment. Nothing too impressive. Maybe I'll rearrange it and take some photos.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

I will have some more wacky oriented lab pics presently. Your lab jack looks cool but I find them too expensive.

Just seen the video, wonderful stuff, I dream of a lab environment like that. I particularly like the safety aspect shown in many segments, respirator masks for example. Also the whole set up is nice and clean, do you think there are many worthy apprentices going around polishing and cleaning daily?
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 03-26-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Saw YouTube video.

Thanks Kiorionis. Yes problem is keeping it looking nice and organized. I purposely didn't take pics of the surrounding area where I have more of the mess Need to get shelves to put all this stuff up. Looking forward to your pics.

BTW, I cut out those pics from a 2012 calendar that I bought at a resale shop for $0.25. Have 7 more pics that my wife wants me to frame for her. Yes, love em.
    Last edited by Aham; 03-26-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Hi AM,

Looking forward to the pics.

I found my lab jack on eBay. They generally run about $16 in aluminum but take about 3-6 weeks in shipping from Hong Kong or China. I bought a stainless steel version for double the price of the aluminum. I know/hope it will last me a long long time.

My guess is the guy in the video probably does most/all of the work himself. In one of his other videos he was making his own glass tubes.

Given the prevalence of inexpensive organic chemistry sets online and tons of recipe books, I would think that most initiates are probably not be interested in clean-up work. The rationale being, why spend time on cleaning-up someone else's lab when you can act/work like an adept for about $200 (the price of an organic chemistry set)... As always, there are exceptions.

Yes, my dream lab would be a 1500-2000 sq. ft. shed with restaurant style exhaust vents, 400 amp electric line, furnace(s), kilns, welders and a wood fired pizza oven

Finally, my dream lab will have a couple of helpers to clean-up after me.
    Last edited by Aham; 03-27-2017 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Forgot about the helpers in my dream lab

Too neat and organized labs are not how alchemical & chymical labs should look like. A true alchemical & chymical lab has to have the sure signs of ongoing activity all over the place, which necessarily implies a certain degree of disorganization and "uncleanliness". These are more like it:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    Hi,

What's the 'monstrosity' to the left of the boiling flask? What book is it standing on? And what's to the right of the receiver?

It looks like a pretty basic distillation train, probably 5 liters? What are you distilling with it?

Have you considered to add a more 'classical' alembic to your setup? There are some things you cannot do with 'modern design' glassware.

This is a fairly cheap dessicator which I got from Cole-Palmer. I have seen glass one for over £100 this one is plastic and less than £50, it has a manual operated vacuum pump built in. So you can put drying agent in with the material and then have a partial pressure inside as well.

It is definately upright on my iPad so if incorrect orientation my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Hi,

What's the 'monstrosity' to the left of the boiling flask? What book is it standing on? And what's to the right of the receiver?

It looks like a pretty basic distillation train, probably 5 liters? What are you distilling with it?

Have you considered to add a more 'classical' alembic to your setup? There are some things you cannot do with 'modern design' glassware.
    Hi Andro,

The "monstrosity" is a lamp with old style filament bulbs. It's there to reminds me of an Edison quote about him having learned thousands of ways on how NOT to make a light bulb which then lead him to discover how to actually make a functional light bulb (it lasted 13+ hours). The idea being that I should expect to fail thousands of times

The book underneath has been in my family for generations on how to make a secret red sauce, like an elixir... concept seems fake to me so I'm using the book as a stand...

Actually 2L flask and 1L receiver. Just messing around and getting ready to try some basic processes from the Golden Chain.

Yes, have thought about buying an alembic but not sure if I'm ready for that just yet. Baby steps.

So, now it's your turn to show and tell.
    Last edited by Aham; 03-27-2017 at 12:41 AM.

JDP,

I try to keep my chaos either inside or outside my head... Right now, it's inside my head. When I have internal clarity, the chaos will manifest in the lab

I love the pics with the implosions/explosions. Gotta have some excitement. LOL

+ Reply to Thread