Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Post your lab pics

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    I would need to hire a blacksmith to build a tripod for it first... because it is VERY heavy... I have no idea of what the other alchemist was doing with it.

I often have one MAIN experiment going on and a few side-experiments going on (I blame my lab partner for such thing, his way of thinking is quite similar to yours in this sense).

I do prefer to focus on ONE thing at the time, but your view has its advantages too, so I keep a balance between these two extremes.... though I certainly know that I do not want to return to "Dr. Frankenstein's lab". Even if Axis and I have a tendency to "fight" a lot, this time I agree with him and I totally get what he means.
    Is the 100 liter vessel a distillation flask or something else?

When you start seeing that most of your experiments will come quite short of your expectations and that "hitting the mark" is not as easy as you once imagined, you will learn the value of carrying out more than one experiment at a time in order to more quickly discard erroneous theories/conjectures/suspicions/conclusions and move on to the next ones that might or might not be correct. Time is more precious than money. If I had more working space, I would carry out as many as a dozen experiments at the same time. You will find out the hard way that alchemy is pretty much a time-vampire: it will end up sucking up most of your spare time, and you will wish you had more to spare. Things would be great if you could figure out the secret in just a few trials, but rest assured that just ain't going to happen. You have to "wrest" the secret through your labors, there is no other way. Forget about the fairy tales of "Divine Revelations/Permissions/Gifts/Interventions" and such nonsense concocted by the alchemists to make you waste your time wishing and waiting for things that are just not going to happen even if you lived to be 1000 years old. No little "angel" is magically going to come down from the clouds above while in your sleep and whisper any "formula" for the Stone in your ear. The only way to figure out the alchemical secret is through trial & error and comparisons with/of the true clues/hints given in the old texts. This is a very time-consuming task, though, as it requires for the seeker to gain a lot of empirical experience to be able to recognize/identify the correct reactions, and the substances that enter into play for them to happen.
    Last edited by JDP; 03-28-2017 at 03:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    At least your neighbors seem chill
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Is the 100 liter vessel a distillation flask or something else?
    It's a flask with 2 mouths which can be used for lots of different things... but it's big in an absurd way for me and thus less "practical" than smaller vessels (i.e, I have several 10 liters and 5 liters flasks and those are the "bigger" ones I use).

When you start seeing that most of your experiments will come quite short of your expectations and that "hitting the mark" is not as easy as you once imagined,
    I never imagined that it is easy. I actually think that it's incredibly complicated.
    Other than that, so far I've surpassed my expectations...

you will learn the value of carrying out more than one experiment at a time in order to more quickly discard erroneous theories/conjectures/suspicions/conclusions and move on to the next ones that might or might not be correct.
    I work with a friend very much as a team. My friend is very much into "Let's do 1,000 experiments" and I am more into "Let's do 1"... so the interaction creates a balance between these two opposites. There's currently 4 experiments going on at my house (with 4 absolutely different paths)... whilst my partner is doing some others at his house.
    I also like to experiment with "variations" of the same thing (same method, but with slightly different technical approaches).

Time is more precious than money. If I had more working space, I would carry out as many as a dozen experiments at the same time. You will find out the hard way that alchemy is pretty much a time-vampire: it will end up sucking up most of your spare time, and you will wish you had more to spare.
    We have different mentalities, JDP. If one day I find myself in desperation, I will completely give up alchemy. Thankfully such thing has never happened.
    Time is more precious than money, that's right. Enjoying what you do is more precious than time.

Things would be great if you could figure out the secret in just a few trials, but rest assured that just ain't going to happen.
    Never expected such thing to happen. Due to private conversations with you I understood that our paths are VERY different, though I do not think that it is "easy" at all. Maybe some of the things I've told you lead you to BELIEVE that I think it's easy... I don't!
    And take it for granted that I've had hundreds and hundreds of failures in many different ways. Though I simply take it easy and use them to think.

You have to "wrest" the secret through your labors, there is no other way. Forget about the fairy tales of "Divine Revelations/Permissions/Gifts/Interventions" and such nonsense concocted by the alchemists to make you waste your time wishing and waiting for things that are just not going to happen even if you lived to be 1000 years old. No little "angel" is magically going to come down from the clouds above while in your sleep and whisper any "formula" for the Stone in your ear.
    O.K... but I never had such idea.
    I do BELIEVE in inspiration though... but it only comes after reading and experimenting a lot... and it's not really an "angel" whispering something, but sometimes it's simply an idea that arrives quite naturally. BUT I do not believe in a "let's throw all the books to the trashcan and let's pray to God, because He is the only source of truth". approach.
    LOL... I think you believe that I believe in many things that I actually don't believe (and I am not 100% sure if the grammar of this sentence makes sense in English, but I hope that it does!).
    But I mostly mean that you are warning me against a lot of things that I already know... I mean that I do not disagree with the general concept that you are expressing here.
    Other than that, I am certainly BETTER when I do one thing at the time... but that kind ruffian who is my lab partner won't let me do it (and I apreciate it).

The only way to figure out the alchemical secret is through trial & error and comparisons with/of the true clues/hints given in the old texts.
    Absolutely no objections to this statement, JDP.

This is a very time-consuming task, though, as it requires for the seeker to gain a lot of empirical experience to be able to recognize/identify the correct reactions, and the substances that enter into play for them to happen.
    O.K... I think you have too many fantasies about how I think and what I believe and how I behave with the alchemical praxis.
    Probably if you could visit me and could see what I do, you would be unsurprised and find out that our ways are not really very different.
    I am probably more mystical than you are, but such thing doesn't mean what you think it means.
    If you believe that I put a piece of lead on the table and pray to God asking "Him" to transmute it, then that's not what I do at all.
    If you believe that I do not think that empirical experiences are the best teacher, then you are wrong.
    If you believe that I do not think that the alchemical experience should be based in the worthy classics, then you are wrong.
    We are not really VERY different in this sense, JDP... even if for some reason you seem to believe that we are.

Other than that, I can confess that I am quite neurotic and I prefer to refine a method when I see some results rather than diversify myself too much (though that's how my mind works... i.e, I read ONE book per time... my girlfriend has a tendency to read some 10 books simultaneously -I would be unable to do such thing-... but give us the same 10 books to the two of us and the time that it takes us to read the 10 of them is the same, even if our approach at reading them can be different).

Blog Entries
    Well done Aham!

Much neater than I've ever had my lab...

I imagine that a triple neck 2ltr flask wasn't very cheap.

Avoid playing with cold water near your flask.

Also! Not all glassware is equal, to avoid upsetting any micro-fractures, and cracking your glassware, raise the heat of your flask slowly

This may all seem like common sense, but if your starting small and don't have a lot of glassware, or if your in the middle of something epic, the worst case scenario is that your flask breaks so remember!
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Lab in a wardrobe.

Sometimes it's hard to keep the neighbors out.
    Last edited by Awani; 03-28-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Fix url links + remove sentence for less confusion when mod posts deleted... it said: "Thanks Andro, I'll try again."

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    It's a flask with 2 mouths which can be used for lots of different things... but it's big in an absurd way for me and thus less "practical" than smaller vessels (i.e, I have several 10 liters and 5 liters flasks and those are the "bigger" ones I use).

I never imagined that it is easy. I actually think that it's incredibly complicated.
    Other than that, so far I've surpassed my expectations...

I work with a friend very much as a team. My friend is very much into "Let's do 1,000 experiments" and I am more into "Let's do 1"... so the interaction creates a balance between these two opposites. There's currently 4 experiments going on at my house (with 4 absolutely different paths)... whilst my partner is doing some others at his house.
    I also like to experiment with "variations" of the same thing (same method, but with slightly different technical approaches).

We have different mentalities, JDP. If one day I find myself in desperation, I will completely give up alchemy. Thankfully such thing has never happened.
    Time is more precious than money, that's right. Enjoying what you do is more precious than time.

Never expected such thing to happen. Due to private conversations with you I understood that our paths are VERY different, though I do not think that it is "easy" at all. Maybe some of the things I've told you lead you to BELIEVE that I think it's easy... I don't!
    And take it for granted that I've had hundreds and hundreds of failures in many different ways. Though I simply take it easy and use them to think.

O.K... but I never had such idea.
    I do BELIEVE in inspiration though... but it only comes after reading and experimenting a lot... and it's not really an "angel" whispering something, but sometimes it's simply an idea that arrives quite naturally. BUT I do not believe in a "let's throw all the books to the trashcan and let's pray to God, because He is the only source of truth". approach.
    LOL... I think you believe that I believe in many things that I actually don't believe (and I am not 100% sure if the grammar of this sentence makes sense in English, but I hope that it does!).
    But I mostly mean that you are warning me against a lot of things that I already know... I mean that I do not disagree with the general concept that you are expressing here.
    Other than that, I am certainly BETTER when I do one thing at the time... but that kind ruffian who is my lab partner won't let me do it (and I apreciate it).

Absolutely no objections to this statement, JDP.

O.K... I think you have too many fantasies about how I think and what I believe and how I behave with the alchemical praxis.
    Probably if you could visit me and could see what I do, you would be unsurprised and find out that our ways are not really very different.
    I am probably more mystical than you are, but such thing doesn't mean what you think it means.
    If you believe that I put a piece of lead on the table and pray to God asking "Him" to transmute it, then that's not what I do at all.
    If you believe that I do not think that empirical experiences are the best teacher, then you are wrong.
    If you believe that I do not think that the alchemical experience should be based in the worthy classics, then you are wrong.
    We are not really VERY different in this sense, JDP... even if for some reason you seem to believe that we are.

Other than that, I can confess that I am quite neurotic and I prefer to refine a method when I see some results rather than diversify myself too much (though that's how my mind works... i.e, I read ONE book per time... my girlfriend has a tendency to read some 10 books simultaneously -I would be unable to do such thing-... but give us the same 10 books to the two of us and the time that it takes us to read the 10 of them is the same, even if our approach at reading them can be different).
    That huge two-necked flask would make a very good receiver for large-scale distillations.

My comments regarding the value of time and the necessity of so much empirical experience, experimenting and confronting of repeated failure before being able to reap some success were aimed not necessarily at you specifically, but in general to what many people in this day and age surprisingly still naively believe. It's amazing how well some of the "traps" of the alchemists have worked that people are still falling for them centuries later. We still find people naively "praying", and "meditating", and "wishing", and "concentrating", and what have you except actually experimenting and eliminating dead-ends, thinking that this way the "formula" for the Stone/Elixir will somehow miraculously present itself to them. Keep wishing, kids. It just ain't gonna happen. You might as well keep on "praying/wishing" for the winning lottery numbers. You are all falling for one of the most malicious alchemical gimmicks designed to guarantee your failure in discovering anything, not success.

Malicious alchemist in the open: "Yes, dear seekers, keep on praying and asking God for this knowledge, and leave all the experimenting with all manner of substances to those pesky puffers. If thy heart is good and honest, thou wilt receive this gift, but if thou doth not receive it, then thou art a wicked sinner and should be ashamed of thyself, and never attempt to gain this knowledge again because God simply doesn't want thee to know it. Even if we wrote the whole process clearly for thee, thou would still fail. Accept thy miserable fate and move on to other things, this knowledge is not for thee!"

The same malicious alchemist behind closed doors, where no one can see or hear him: "There you go, I have fooled a bunch of unworthy seekers into a guaranteed failure. Let them keep waiting for some miracle that will never come, tee-hee! As if God had nothing better to do all day than to capriciously decide who can acquire this empirical knowledge LOL! Delusional simpletons, they actually swallowed the bait."

Rest assured that nobody or nothing is going to "magically/miraculously" help you figure this out. The only one who can do it is you, through your actual research and trial & error. In other words, the much maligned "puffers" were on the right track (the very same one the alchemists themselves followed to make their discoveries) but unfortunately the majority of them would either give up too soon after many failures, or would not understand the real clues/hints given in alchemical sources very well and thus never succeed in discovering the secret, or some of the more ingenious and hard-working ones would in fact discover their own methods to make gold and silver that had nothing to do with the Philosophers' Stone (much to the chagrin of the alchemists, who kept stubbornly denying that such a thing was possible.)

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Lab in a wardrobe.

Sometimes it's hard to keep the neighbors out.
    Watch out,, black!!! He take no prsioners and won´t spare no lives!!!! For those about to rock, we salute, Angus...

Awesome pics, Mr. Black. Very ingenious and an amazing way to hide the work when there are visitors.

I have to ask:
    - what are those 2 cylindrical objects on the top left? There also seems to be one on the far right.
    - what is that stainless steel container to the left?
    - I'm guessing the yellow bucket is a stand?
    - How do you use the wooden box with the opening in the middle?
    - I see two exhaust fans. Is one pulling in the other pushing out? Tremendous idea, BTW. I now realize I could do something similar.

If the musical preferences are similar, let the neighbors in

Thanks Aham

A temp. control for condenser coolant

B temp control for heater F

C temp. control for E

D condenser coolant tank

E temp. box for receiver

F heater

G dryers for condenser

H extraction fans (both out)

I hinged doors with opening ports (to work as fume cabinet)

Yes yellow bucket is a stand.
    Last edited by Awani; 03-29-2017 at 09:32 AM. Reason: fix code

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Thanks Aham

A temp. control for condenser coolant

B temp control for heater F

C temp. control for E

D condenser coolant tank

E temp. box for receiver

F heater

G dryers for condenser

H extraction fans (both out)

I hinged doors with opening ports (to work as fume cabinet)

Yes yellow bucket is a stand.
    Mr Black, we *had* lost the pictures but now they are back

Hopefully you can indulge a few more questions

I've known temp controllers to be fairly tiny (6cm x 3cm x 8cm) but the ones you have are fairly large. Are they special types of controllers?

For the condenser coolant tank, what coolant do you use?

What does a condenser dryer do? I've never heard of such a thing so am more than curious.

I was wondering why the 2nd set of doors were ummm... crafted together :P but yet again, a brilliant idea!!! Dang, you've thought through this.

TIA for your answers
    Last edited by Aham; 03-30-2017 at 01:10 AM. Reason: pics are back

+ Reply to Thread