Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting imagery

Interesting imagery

Hey guys, we were in an old antique store and saw these four prints. They looked interesting so thought to post them here. Not sure what it all means and maybe someone can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    Hey guys, we were in an old antique store and saw these four prints. They looked interesting so thought to post them here. Not sure what it all means and maybe someone can chime in.

At least some of them are mythological imagery. For example, in the last one, the guy with the club and a lion skin combating a hydra is obviously Hercules.

They seem to have titles written in French, but I can't read them (I can't see the letters, just a few words).

The first one seems to show someone (Jesus?) washing the feet of another person and then a person (Jesus?) being baptized.

The second and the third seem to belong to a set of engravings, probably telling a "story"... but certainly the series was larger... whilst the first and the fourth are probably NOT part of this "set" (the "drawn and decorated fake frame" leads to such idea... only the second and the third have it and it's obviously a "scene", but they certainly belong to a larger set which is probably telling a "story").

The engravings are by Jean Le Pautre ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Le_Pautre )...

Here you have another engraving that belongs to the "set" of the second and third image... so you can expand the "story" a bit more... and with some patience you will probably find more engravings from this specific "set":

JDP, thanks for the insight on the 4th engraving. The person on the left, Hercules, is trying to club Hydra and then (looks like) is again depicted on the right, resting.

Zoas, interesting take on the engravings. I see what you're saying about the storyline, it makes sense to me. What was interesting/odd to me was how a pyramid (obelisk) structure shows up in the 3rd engraving.

Thanks again to both of you gents for the insights.

Very cool of you to post this! Thanks for sharing, Aham!

+ Reply to Thread