Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EM's Equipment Recommendations and Reviews

Blog Entries

EM's Equipment Recommendations and Reviews

The first piece of equipment to be reviewed is the

"RapidFirePro - LP" by tabletopfurnace.com

This portable and therefore versatile furnace boasts a range of colours, digital display, and up to 1200 degrees Celsius heatin capacity. That's enough to melt your basic precious metals and more than enough to calcine those hard to whiten salts!

At around $500US + Postage, it's a little bit of a mouthfull, nevertheless, cheaper than some of your commercial grade pottery kilns, however still with enough punch to sublimate your specimens!

I have just ordered one today, we shall see when it arrives, if it has what it takes to get the job done!

Thanks for reading!

More equipment reviews in the future, bye for now!

EM
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    I have just ordered one today, we shall see when it arrives, if it has what it takes to get the job done! [...] More equipment reviews in the future, bye for now!
    If you're going to post "recommendations and reviews", better wait until the items actually arrive and you actually "review" them before you "recommend" them.

An equipment thread were cheap items or simple workarounds would be useful I think. For example the cheap Labjack or the dessicator mentioned on the other thread. List of useful online sources (apart from the obvious EBay and Amazon).

Blog Entries
    I mainly just posted it as a reminder to begin reviewing my equipment as it comes in, because one of the messages I'd like to share with the beginners that are (hopefully) reading, is just to work out exactly which aspect of alchemy most interests them, the best tools for the job, and where to spend the money, since I have blown well I to the tens of thousands on crap that looking back was a huge waste of money.... No need for others to make my foolish mistakes.

But yes I agree Andro, these posts could all be a little more thought out... That might be the next hurdle to jump in my AF's adventure
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    I have blown well I to the tens of thousands on crap that looking back was a huge waste of money.... No need for others to make my foolish mistakes.

But yes I agree Andro, these posts could all be a little more thought out... That might be the next hurdle to jump in my AF's adventure
    Good idea, to actually think before posting... I think we're on to something here

I wrote what I wrote because the thread is titled "EM's Equipment Recommendations and Reviews", yet there was no review, only something you've ordered and haven't received (or reviewed) yet - so it can be somewhat misleading...

And (IMO) it would also be nice to share what "crap" you have "blown tens of thousands" on and it turned out to be a "waste of money" (and WHY it was such a "waste of money").

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post

And (IMO) it would also be nice to share what "crap" you have "blown tens of thousands" on and it turned out to be a "waste of money" (and WHY it was such a "waste of money").
    I was wondering about that too. How can anyone spend so much on equipment and find out that it was all for nothing??? When I buy something is because I have a pretty good idea that it will likely work for what I want or need. You also do some research first before jumping into buying any expensive piece of equipment, to make sure that you will have a use for it. For example, I spent $500 on my electric kiln, used mostly for cupellation & scorification operations, and before I bought it I actually spoke to some people who had electric kilns and used them for similar purposes, and they all recommended the use of electric kilns for such purposes. It turns out that their recommendations were spot on: purchasing an electric kiln was one of the best investments I made for the kind of investigations that require cupellation/scorification. Before that I used to perform these operations with blow torches of several sizes and fire bricks, which takes much more work and care to carry out. The electric kiln has made these operations much easier to perform.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Will do!

It looks nice. Probably electric klins are one of the safest products when it comes to equipments (I mean that they do what they claim to do and no it would be strange to be surprised by having results which are not the ones described by the manufacturer). Other equipments are a bit more tricky.

There's only 3 things I don't LOVE about the one you have chosen: the refractory surface is a bit small (or "thin"), thus probably the temperature will drop faster than you may want to. No chimney? They can be useful. 1200C... I would have chosen one that goes a bit further (1500C maybe).... 1200C can be a bit low for some things (not necessarily alchemical, but if you want to, say, create an equipment with ceramic yourself and cook it, then 1200c is a bit low).

But I doubt you'll find BIG surprises with an electric klin...

Blog Entries
    I have chosen this kiln to calcine plant ashes specifically, and exclusively.

I figure if I never run it over 450 degrees, and do t put anythig except a bit of ash in there, then hopefully this little baby will last a life time.

I will probably one day down the track, get their other model the QuikMelt Pro, for pouring ingot ect.

I've heard that the electric kilns of ebay made by Chinese manufactures are very dodgy, sometimes they wouldn't even reach the temps that were advertised and one persons set on fire so I've avoided them completely.

This week the computer should hopefully be up and running again and I can start taking photos and setting up some well presented posts. ElixirMixer needs an administration upgrade I think.

Plenty of old tech around here to bitch about in terms of dodgy equipment, less than ideal methods, and money down the drain.

This has inspired a question that I might relocate....

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    It looks nice. Probably electric klins are one of the safest products when it comes to equipments (I mean that they do what they claim to do and no it would be strange to be surprised by having results which are not the ones described by the manufacturer). Other equipments are a bit more tricky.

There's only 3 things I don't LOVE about the one you have chosen: the refractory surface is a bit small (or "thin"), thus probably the temperature will drop faster than you may want to. No chimney? They can be useful. 1200C... I would have chosen one that goes a bit further (1500C maybe).... 1200C can be a bit low for some things (not necessarily alchemical, but if you want to, say, create an equipment with ceramic yourself and cook it, then 1200c is a bit low).

But I doubt you'll find BIG surprises with an electric klin...
    A decent-sized electric kiln that can go so high as 1500C is not only going to be more expensive, it will also not likely work on household currents and will need higher voltages/wattages.

The furnaces and forges of the times of the alchemists & chymists did not get that hot either, unless we are talking about the blast furnaces for producing iron and steel, which employed "batteries" of double-bellows, sometimes powered by animal or water wheels, to achieve such tremendous temperatures, but this was practically industrial scale stuff, not something you would find in an average alchemical/chymical lab. The forges & furnaces you would typically find in the labs of alchemists & chymists would not reach much beyond 1350C even when using hand-operated single bellows. Even today, operating with electric air pumps and fans and combustible gases it is still difficult to go much beyond this temperature. You need very efficient refractories and insulators to be able to prevent heat dissipation and thus get the temperature higher.

+ Reply to Thread