Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: EM's Equipment Recommendations and Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I spent $500 on my electric kiln, used mostly for cupellation & scorification operations, and before I bought it I actually spoke to some people who had electric kilns and used them for similar purposes
    What is the brand/model of your kiln?

I know electric is good for cuppeling, but do you recommend a propane furnace for the first melting step of an assay? The only reason I could think of to not use propane for the initial reduction melting would be the lack of precise temp control like that of a thermostatically controlled electric kiln.

I ask because I would like to get a smaller electric kiln than my big ceramic one, for better efficiency in cuppeling. I'm wondering if I should just do the large crucible melts in my propane crucible furnace, then get a smaller/cheaper electric kiln just for cupels.

Or should I try to get a big enough electric kiln to also fit my size K crucible melts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dendritic Xylem View Post
    What is the brand/model of your kiln?
    http://www.paragonweb.com/Q11A.cfm

Bought it about 4 or so years ago. Best investment I made regarding scorification & cupellation operations. It will fit cupels and scorifiers as big as 4 to 5 inches in diameter.

I know electric is good for cuppeling, but do you recommend a propane furnace for the first melting step of an assay? The only reason I could think of to not use propane for the initial reduction melting would be the lack of precise temp control like that of a thermostatically controlled electric kiln.
    Yes, absolutely, use propane for meltings, and electricity for scorifying & cupelling. Meltings do not have to be very precise. You can judge the approximate temperatures by the glow of the combustion chamber and crucible:

I ask because I would like to get a smaller electric kiln than my big ceramic one, for better efficiency in cuppeling. I'm wondering if I should just do the large crucible melts in my propane crucible furnace, then get a smaller/cheaper electric kiln just for cupels.
    Yes, for smaller scale operations. No need to fire up a big kiln just to cupel some sample. You want a smaller kiln for that.

Or should I try to get a big enough electric kiln to also fit my size K crucible melts?
    It depends on what is cheaper in your area: electricity or gas? If gas is cheaper, use it for melting and other types of operations that require heat, other than scorification/cupellation (these are always more conveniently carried out by electricity since they need oxidizing atmospheres.) If electricity is cheaper, then you might want to get several electric kilns/furnaces for various purposes to economize on gas in the long run.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Yes, at that higher voltage it is possible. Other countries, like the United States, use 110-120v which would make it difficult to be able to power a larger kiln that can reach such a temperature.
    I own a small kiln, 8 8 8 inches, and it runs on 120 volt outlet. It's pretty sweet for plant works. Haven't tried to use it for metal things.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Anyone looking to buy a kiln should try out craigslist or other classifieds.
    Just yesterday I purchased the following kiln used, but in excellent condition, for $280...

http://jenkenkilns.com/gs-beadannealer.aspx

It's marketed as a bead annealer but goes up to 2000f so should work ok for calcinations, cupellations, and melting silver.

Blog Entries
    The rapid fire pro works well and is very suitable for plant calcinations. The control is only in farenheight, which is stupid, but it is a USA product after all.

I had the whole system turn a black on the inside from the oils in my plant ashes, however, when I cranked up the heat, this all seemed to disappear.

Seems to work okay but the control and settings are just stupid. You can't turn it on, set a temp and walk away, you have to dick around with how much rising time, and it's just a shit to set up really. We are in 2017 and I suppose I was just expecting a bit more user friendly interface.

Never mind, it gets the job done.

I'm very sad today because I had my first perfectly white ashes explode on the stove while I was evaporating off the water. Very, very upset.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

I have a small electric kiln. To avoid carbonising the interior I will heat the material using a cooker hob to burn off as much as I can before it goes to the kiln. A crucible lid is also helpful.

Blog Entries
    Useful advice, what is a cooker hob? Crucibles are in the waterworks, right now im just using half a broken crucible.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

A cooker hob is a phrase used in the UK for the gas or electric ring used to heat saucepans when cooking food. For outdoor calcination I have a cast iron Gas hob which I connect to a propane cylinder and calcinate the material.

This one is virtually identical to mine.
    https://thegascentre.co.uk/cast-iron...SABEgIqrfD_BwE

Then when the material is not smoking anymore I use the kiln if I need a higher temperature also using a lid on the crucible.

Here is one I used to use but the little gas cartridges are more expensive if you have a lot of calcinating to do.

The particular image is of sulphur having first burn so it would not be sent to the kiln afterwards in this instance, only photo I could find.
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 07-16-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typos

+ Reply to Thread