Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Krishna

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In the moment...
    Posts
    7,348
    Blog Entries
    2

    Krishna

    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I am simply in a Hare Krishna vibe at the moment, because I have received a lot of help from chanting Hare Krishna. It has been truly amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I never mentioned, but driving home from work the night before Easter Mass ceremony I began chanting Hare Krishna over and over again and something happened to me in doing so: I began to sob and cry whilst driving, so much that I had to stop. Don't chant and drive.

    I was very surprised... I didn't expect the chant to have that effect on me.
    You know when you hum a song in your head without thinking about it? And then even when you notice, you keep doing it. After some time of this you focus on it and try and stop doing it. At least this happens to me a lot. Usually with songs I don't really like. Today this happened with the Hare Krishna mantra (which I do like).

    In my boring day job I hire a lot of people. Over the years I have hired thousands of people (a few every week), and today I hired someone with the name Krishna. And everyone who starts work get a work-ID, and hers was the same number as the year I was born.

    Everything above has happened in less than a week. So I am certainly on some sort of Krishna wave at the moment.

    Hare Krishna.



    Last edited by Awani; 05-22-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: add info

    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,349
    Hinduism is still one of the most impossible-to-understand-religions for me... I believe that rather than Hinduism, we have "Hinduisms"... but not in the same sense that we have "Christianisms".

    I.e, Krishna is quite an interesting example... if you read the Bhagavad Gita alone, then you find a monotheistic Religion in which Krishna is "God"... Then you go to other texts and you find a trinitarian Religion (though with a trinity that has very little to do with ANY Christian Trinity -either the Catholic trinity or the Gnostic Trinity -as in the works by Valentinus)... whilst in other texts you face a polytheism that is not truly based on a "trinity".

    I think it is probably one of the most complex religions... or maybe it is a Religion that created "branches" that offer VERY different ideas.

    It would be nice if someone who is seriously into Hinduism can explain what is Krishna from all these quite different points of view.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In the moment...
    Posts
    7,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Krishna is compassion.

    All the gods of this religion are different apps for the same smartphone.

    For me it is not important to understand and logically connect all aspects of any religion. For instance chant the names of God (the Hare Krishna mantra) for a few days and the rest will be explained. LOL.

    But I feel the same as you do when it comes to the Kabbala, which does little for me. Judaism in general is a religion that seems the most like some department of the government. I am sure there is value in it somewhere, but for me it just does not vibrate. But I might dive into it properly at some point.

    Last edited by Awani; 04-25-2017 at 01:49 AM.

    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Hinduism is still one of the most impossible-to-understand-religions for me... I believe that rather than Hinduism, we have "Hinduisms"... but not in the same sense that we have "Christianisms".

    I.e, Krishna is quite an interesting example... if you read the Bhagavad Gita alone, then you find a monotheistic Religion in which Krishna is "God"... Then you go to other texts and you find a trinitarian Religion (though with a trinity that has very little to do with ANY Christian Trinity -either the Catholic trinity or the Gnostic Trinity -as in the works by Valentinus)... whilst in other texts you face a polytheism that is not truly based on a "trinity".

    I think it is probably one of the most complex religions... or maybe it is a Religion that created "branches" that offer VERY different ideas.

    It would be nice if someone who is seriously into Hinduism can explain what is Krishna from all these quite different points of view.
    Alexander the Great went to the Indus, met Krisha and liked his ideas. Then Alexander's syncreatic philosophers integrated Krishna into the Western pantheon, transmuted Kirshna into Kristos and took him home to the West. The Hebrew version was Geebus Christ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Ummm.... dev.... you've got the wrong guy in the pic

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    It would be nice if someone who is seriously into Hinduism can explain what is Krishna from all these quite different points of view
    To me, it's a monotheistic religion where a multitude of 'gods' (spirits) were created to help the common folk connect with the various aspects of the universal spirit.

    Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu (Preserver) in the trinity that includes Bramha (Creator) and Shiva (Destroyer).

    Now, I said everything I know about Hinduism...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Krishna is compassion.
    All the gods of this religion are different apps for the same smartphone.
    For me it is not important to understand and logically connect all aspects of any religion. For instance chant the names of God (the Hare Krishna mantra) for a few days and the rest will be explained. LOL.
    Hahaha.... I would like to listen to someone who is more seriously into Hinduism than you are (I am not saying that you are not serious, but you would agree with me that you have only a superficial knowledge of Hinduism, though I think your knowledge is better than mine, which is close to nothing when it comes to Hinduism).

    I believe that to "transcend" the basic understanding of something, the basic understanding of such thing is needed first.
    I.e, Kircher wrote a FANTASTIC essay about the Egyptian language that makes no sense at all, because he couldn't read it.... the same thing happened to Leibniz when he wrote a book about the Chinese language (I have a marvelous edition of that book in Spanish, commented by a Chinese in the footnotes... the mistakes of LEibniz are hilarious, which doesn't mean that he was a fool... he's among the BEST philosophers that ever existed!).

    Then again, I get that your interest in Krishna is not academic and I can confess that I enjoy a lot listening to Hindu Mantras (My favorite ones are the ones dedicated to Kali).

    But Hinduism is such an incomprehensible puzzle to me that I would LOVE to talk to an "expert" in the field and learn a bit about its meta-structure.

    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    But I feel the same as you do when it comes to the Kabbala, which does little for me. Judaism in general is a religion that seems the most like some department of the government. I am sure there is value in it somewhere, but for me it just does not vibrate. But I might dive into it properly at some point.
    Qabalah (I don't get why it is often transliterated as "Kabala", "Kabballah" or whatever) is very interesting and most people who know nothing about it (which is not a sin at all) is often (or always) very confused about what it is. It is mostly an adaptation to Hebrew of Gnostic ideas (I specially mean Marcosian Gnosticism)... and it is interesting in the sense that it is probably the only "Alexandrian phylosophycal tool" that was rightfully preserved (we have a very fragmented version of what Christian Gnosticism is, we have a very fragmented version of the Chaldean Oracles, we have a very fragmented version of the Pythagorean School, our "Corpus Hermeticum" is only a small sample of what was the Alexandrian Hermeticism). Qabalah preserved these "knowledges" quite well and is a very useful tool to understand them. There's not a HUGE difference between Qabalah and, say, Alexandrian Hermeticism.

    Quote Originally Posted by z0 K View Post
    Alexander the Great went to the Indus, met Krisha and liked his ideas. Then Alexander's syncreatic philosophers integrated Krishna into the Western pantheon, transmuted Kirshna into Kristos and took him home to the West. The Hebrew version was Geebus Christ
    Hahaha... I have ZERO doubts about the fact that the biblical (and apocryphal and gnostic) "Jesus" is a cocktail. A syncretism of many different ideas... Maybe Krishna is part of that Cocktail too (I see a mix of things that go from the Logos of Philo of Alexandria to the Egyptian God Osiris... and even Socrates).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In the moment...
    Posts
    7,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    Ummm.... dev.... you've got the wrong guy in the pic
    I just picked the gif I liked most. It represented my feelings more than some douche playing a flute to some sheep.

    Also zoas23 I get what you are saying, but the more a topic is studied the dumber the student gets. An expert in Hinduism would probably not even speak about it because he would be in deep trance. And by the way I spelled Kabbala in Swedish by mistake.

    Religion/spirituality is about a personal relationship with the divine. Anything else is basically horseshit. LOL.

    Last edited by Awani; 04-25-2017 at 11:45 AM.

    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I just picked the gif I liked most. It represented my feelings more than some douche playing a flute to some sheep.
    LOL, you've been chanting the name of a "douche" and "getting a lot of help." Imagine if you started chanting the name of someone who's not a douche!

    BTW, he was a cow herder. People have written many books/papers on what Krishna was doing with the flute and with various interpretations. The one I kinda like is - the flute has 8 holes that represent the 5 senses, mind, intellect and ego. Krishna fills us with his breath and plays on these holes to bring out the divine melody in us or infuse us with his spirit or... or... or... or all of the above.
    He always keeps his flute (us) in his capable hands to allow the divine music to flow through us.

    Rock on

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In the moment...
    Posts
    7,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Like I said before Kali, Krishna, Shiva... it's all the same thing. And I have seen plenty of images of Krishna with sheep... as soon as you involve human beings with this stuff things become "right" or "wrong". It doesn't really matter. The Hare Krishna mantra could just as well be Blah Blah Blah, as long as Blah puts the mind in a Krishna mood.

    That is why Christians who say Dang instead of Damn, or SJW who say N-word instead of Nigger, are morons. If you say N-word you are saying Nigger. So why not just say Nigger then? Or shut the hell up.

    Yes the flute stuff is interesting and goes with plenty of local folklore tales of similar entities that also use flutes. Although some are more sinister using the flute to lure people into hell and such things.

    One major reason why I like Islam, and especially Sufism, is their concept of not drawing what God looks like. These days people think it is an insult, and some draw Mohammed anyway and people get killed and angry etc. All these folks have missed the point.

    Why draw something that cannot be drawn? It shifts the focus away from the essence of the thing. A mosque is more spiritual to me in how it is decorated than a church with its plastic puppet on a cross and lots of images of old men in beards.

    Hinduism has a cooler imagery than Christianity, it is more "far out". Buddhism is more like Islam using patterns and mandalas a bit more.


    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts