Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Edit Time

Edit Time

Currently the window for editing a post is less than five minutes (3 minutes I believe).

Not only I, but Andro, JDP, dev, and so many others love to edit our posts post-posting. Ya know what sucks though? The small italic "this post has been edited" sentence that plagues countless threads!

Would you consider changing the safe editing window to something a little more reasonable (like 10 minutes)?

I feel this would add better continuity to the forum as a whole and would make reading posts overall easier.

Blog Entries
    Sure could be done, reason we don't want it to be too long is because then someone might change a post after someone else replied to it. Mods can edit a post whenever, but we never "change" a post we have done ourselves that effect any replies.

Last edited by Awani; 04-29-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: typo

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    Currently the window for editing a post is less than five minutes (3 minutes I believe).

Not only I, but Andro, JDP, dev, and so many others love to edit our posts post-posting. Ya know what sucks though? The small italic "this post has been edited" sentence that plagues countless threads!

Would you consider changing the safe editing window to something a little more reasonable (like 10 minutes)?

I feel this would add better continuity to the forum as a whole and would make reading posts overall easier.
    The actual editing window is 24 hours.

The few minutes you're talking about, refer to the time between the first posting and until the "Last edited by" line appears.

This line is annoying to me too, that's why you often seen a dotted line added at the bottom of my edited posts, to "separate the pure fro the impure" LOL (to separate the post content from the "Last edited by" line). Sometimes I'll also add a pair of scissors to my dotted line, like at the bottom of this post

The "Last edited by" line can be useful in the sense that it is clickable (within the edit time window), and you can see what you wrote before you edited (a short edit history of sorts). It is also useful if a mod edits a post and specifies the reason.

I personally don't know if the "Last edited by" line can be made to appear later, but in any case, it is not the same as the editing time window, which is 24 hours (used to be 3 days, but it lead to problems, hence the shortening).

Now about the editing time window in general, there needs to be one, because on forums where there isn't one, people often delete all their past posts entirely if they "get in a mood" or whatever, and then you have whole threads that don't make any sense because half the posts are missing... It appears to be like this on the forum started by N-D-C... entire threads that are mostly filled with deleted posts...

Finally, this is what I sometimes use to separate the exquisite philosophical content of my posts from the vulgar and superfluous "Last edited by" line:

-----------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 04-29-2017 at 06:45 AM.

I appreciate the information and thoughtful response, Andro. Thank you.

...My favorite part of being a Mod (for another online message board) is being able to edit my post in peace without the pesky "Last edited by" vitriolic filth! ;p

Blog Entries
    I appreciate the information and thoughtful response, Andro. Thank you.
    Most welcome

My favorite part of being a Mod (for another online message board) is being able to edit my post in peace without the pesky "Last edited by" vitriolic filth! ;p
    LOL... I don't have this luxury

Besides, when editing other people's posts for logistical/administrative reasons (thread splitting/merging/etc), there should be a "marker" that the post was edited by a moderator, with the added reason/explanation for doing so. It helps with clarity and transparency.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    This line is annoying to me too...
    It can be changed easily. It was set to 5 minutes, but I changed it to 10 minutes (any other time suggestion is fine with me). Not sure if it removes the edit line of old posts that were edited within ten minutes.

If you edit a post within that time and make an "edit remark" the line will appear anyway, which is good if a mod edits someone else's post within a few minutes.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Thanks, y'all!

+ Reply to Thread