Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Concepts of Ascension and Alchemy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
    I shall do my best to repost it as soon as I am able
    Lovely, thanks. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I'll make sure the mixup doesn't happen again.

Edit:

I have been leaning towards the direction of thought whereby the Antediluvian civilization that occurs in every mythos in history had almost certainly mastered vibrational techniques based on root sounds such as those, magnified with various pieces of equipment meant to magnify those resonances, and this is where primitive man stole his idea for wearing jewelry from.

Anything at all on a list of those sounds, what frequencies they're known to oscillate at, their associated entity, all these things will I praise you for O schum!

GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI-SVA-HAAAA
    You might enjoy these threads:

Musical Sublimation
    The Universal Language
    Do Mantras Work?
    Music of the Spheres
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 05-07-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: consolidation
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

I read well the SM thread and took both your and Andros and GLs posts as containing true wisdom.

I have and continue to explore many variations of many tests. Some things I know well, other things I know not at all. I have activated my Merkaba and I fear no Dissolution of my consciousness in any possible realm any further. I have traveled the Elusian fields and seen the Minotaur who guards the Labyrinth. I defeated the Labyrinth and made it to the center and discovered the "plug" that holds our entire Omniverse from "falling" into the next one. I have seen the True Yggdrasill with my own eyes. I watched the Tree of Life gather what I would now describe as True Mundi, all golden sparkles being drawn in through it's roots to the tips to coagulate as dew drops to expand and give birth to all forms of creation. I saw these drops pop if they failed to pass the Test of Life and watched their energy return to the Soil to be again Re-Assimilated by the Tree. I saw the the ones that pass this test solidify with their own inherent existence and pop off the Tree and float into the sky to become their own Buddhaverses and stars in the Astral Realm. I understand very well the connection of Nature and the begetting of Seeds and how these lead to Life.

I have, with my own two hands, constructed what I can only honestly describe (perhaps I am wrong and do not know) as the most powerful plant subtance obtainable by man. It is a white crystalline substance occasionally red/yellow, occasionally as a gummy caramel-esque oil and when simply treated correctly with heat it opens a stable and reliable wormhole to what can only be described as another dimension. If there be more powerful plant magic than this, I can only say I do not wish to know of it.

Through (and probably because of all this) I have developed within myself several variations of what Hindu Yogis would refer to as Siddis. I can walk on handrails the width of two fingers with ease. Headstands, standing on my hands, almost all physical activity is as a childish trick to my mind. I am not even concerned with it, and so it comes easily.

One of the processes involved in activating a Merkaba is the unblocking of your Chakras and the clearing of your Kundalini Pathways. A side effect of this is I am almost never tired until it is obviously time for me to sleep. From waking until sleeping and even at work I am engaged in an activity that is somehow related to my goals.

Having achieved immortality of the consciousness, my only real goals now are to achieve a physical body that will endure until I am ready to pass onwards and the way I have discovered is known to us as the Philosophers Stone. The descriptions of the Stone meet every need I conceivably have right now, as my deepest desire at the moment is a private abode to conduct my research in without needing to engage in day to day distractions, like work.

If I had all the wealth in the world you can be sure the world itself would benefit from it immensely and you would probably never learn my real name. I could not be less interested in attention or adulation.

What I am after is True Knowledge.
    Unlike Kiorionis, I am not sure if this is related to alchemy or not.
    I had been very close to someone (former girlfriend) who was the local authority of a strange and certainly not orthodox school of Yoga that is only somehow popular in South America and strangely in France.... though it is a Cult in the worst sense of the word (obligation to worship its founder/master daily, prohibition of reading literature that is not authorized by him, very precise instructions about when and how to sleep, when and how to eat, when and how and with whom have sex, instructions about who can be your friends, prohibition of discussing or even commenting the literature written by the founder: it had to be repeated... there were even "reading sessions" which simply consisted in reading something written by this person, but it was strictly forbidden to even make a positive comment ... a bit like Scientology, but probably a bit less sinister). The school followed an initiatic scheme and this person had all the possible "grades".

Some curiosities I saw:

1) This person was 100% brainwashed.

2) The high grade instructions were 100% related to an internal alchemy in very explicit ways, but the students and even the main instructors had NO idea about this issue. I do not mean that the texts had SOME resemblance with alchemy, but that they were very explicit, except that they never mentioned such thing.

3) No lab practices were used at all. I remember I was very much into Spagyrics by then and the main local authority was VERY surprised that so many things could come from a plant (I was honestly not doing anything quite advanced or relevant).

4) Due to the close relationship, I had been able to see "physical techniques" which were never shown in public and I can confess that they were jaw dropping to say the least (i.e, this woman could support the whole of her weight in just one finger for very long times and keep a conversation -I saw her doing it for almost an hour once). Whilst standing in one finger she could place the whole of her body in an horizontal position and then switch to a vertical position and then switch to a position similar to being seated, but without touching the floor)... and even keep a conversation about any random subject whilst doing it as if she was sitting in a comfortable chair. She trained for some 8 to 12 hours a day though. I have never seen something like that before and I doubt I will see it again (other than that, MY theory is that it was the result of a very obsessive practice of physical skills)

5) If I ignore her obsession with the worship of the founder of the school as if he was God, her ideas were symbolically VERY related to alchemy, but she had no idea of such thing.

6) Even the famous symbol by Maier: was used extensively as to define the "grades", but NOBODY knew who was Maier and they were taught that it was a "secret Yoga symbol".

So, whilst I have clear mystical tendencies, I am not sure if achieving one thing in an "internal alchemy" leads to discovering how to do something analogous at a lab... nor I know if discovering something at the lab necessarily leads to very special physical skills (I somehow mean very unusual and truly jaw dropping "athletic" skills). I do not see a contradiction at all, but I do not necessarily see a "link" either (I mean the idea that one things necessarily is linked to the other).

Then again, I can accept that I am a bit clumsy when it comes to physical athletic disciplines and I did some tai-chi too for a short time and I was quite unable to coordinate the most basic movements, I'm not gifted at all for such things.

These are just comments, not a criticism. Do you see a SOLID link between an alchemical practice and "athletic" skills?
    Last edited by zoas23; 05-08-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Mod Post

Visceral,

I've moved your most recent and lengthy post here:

Hermeticism, Alchemy and Ancient Civilizations -- A Gift

Not dealing specifically with the Eastern lineages, and being quite broad, I felt it needed it's own thread. I'll delete this post in a few days to clean things up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Unlike Kiorionis, I am not sure if this is related to alchemy or not.
    Perhaps not the typical, external laboratory approach the West is used to -- but Visceral makes a small statement of how it relates to Alchemy:

my only real goals now are to achieve a physical body that will endure until I am ready to pass onwards and the way I have discovered is known to us as the Philosophers Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Visceral,

I've moved your most recent and lengthy post here:

Hermeticism, Alchemy and Ancient Civilizations -- A Gift

Not dealing specifically with the Eastern lineages, and being quite broad, I felt it needed it's own thread. I'll delete this post in a few days to clean things up.
    Thank you, I was thinking I was going to need my own (well titled) thread to complete the idea anyway. Would it be possible to also have the post on Hu moved over there so I don't need to repeat it there manually?

edit. or perhaps simply copy it there? The two posts tie in to each other but this thread would also be very nice for summarizing ideas and questions relating directly to discussion of the Ascension process
    Last edited by Visceral; 05-08-2017 at 07:40 PM.

These are just comments, not a criticism. Do you see a SOLID link between an alchemical practice and "athletic" skills?
    I do indeed, though as you point out a person is very capable of developing astounding levels of skills in one area without ever needing to be aware there is any other sphere to investigate.

I believe at a very practical level the two are foundationally linked, Kio has been kind enough to create my own thread to accommodate the necessary length of explanation for explaining that foundation so I will not repeat what I have written there, but I will attempt to provide at least a broad outline for my justification here, and I do not at all mean for it be condescending to anyone who does not possess talent in either or both areas.

“As above, so below, as within, so without, as the universe, so the soul…”
    ― Hermes Trismegistus
    My discourse leads to the truth; the mind is great and guided by this teaching is able to arrive at some understanding. When the mind has understood all things and found them to be in harmony with what has been expounded by the teachings, it is faithful and comes to rest in that beautiful faith.”
    ― Hermes Trismegistus
    and my personal favorite:

“If then you do not make yourself equal to God, you cannot apprehend God; for like is known by like.

Leap clear of all that is corporeal, and make yourself grown to a like expanse with that greatness which is beyond all measure; rise above all time and become eternal; then you will apprehend God. Think that for you too nothing is impossible; deem that you too are immortal, and that you are able to grasp all things in your thought, to know every craft and science; find your home in the haunts of every living creature; make yourself higher than all heights and lower than all depths; bring together in yourself all opposites of quality, heat and cold, dryness and fluidity; think that you are everywhere at once, on land, at sea, in heaven; think that you are not yet begotten, that you are in the womb, that you are young, that you are old, that you have died, that you are in the world beyond the grave; grasp in your thought all of this at once, all times and places, all substances and qualities and magnitudes together; then you can apprehend God.

But if you shut up your soul in your body, and abase yourself, and say “I know nothing, I can do nothing; I am afraid of earth and sea, I cannot mount to heaven; I know not what I was, nor what I shall be,” then what have you to do with God?”
    ― Hermes Trismegistus, Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius
    Hermes very, very, very clearly states that one who is Wise is Wise in all things. INCLUDING the use of their body. I will demonstrate the very clear and tangible connection between the Arts with the following Images, and then I will say no more on this for some time that it may be properly digested

Remember the blue eyed travelling monk Bodhidharma first taught the monks of the Shaolin Temple Kung-Fu because their bodies were too weak to withstand the meditations and contemplation necessary for their practice.

edit. a final thought for the more Pythagorean minded: when someone is starting on the journey to becoming healthy, we refer to them as getting "in shape"
    Last edited by Visceral; 05-08-2017 at 08:03 PM.

I do indeed, though as you point out a person is very capable of developing astounding levels of skills in one area without ever needing to be aware there is any other sphere to investigate.
    Yes, I brought the issue because of its oddity... I saw how a person can ACTUALLY develop "athletic" skills which nobody would even believe that they are possible (I used to joke about it with this person and tell her that she should join the X-Men). So I don't distrust your claims for I have seen something that is mostly identical (If I haven't seen it with my own eyes, I would probably believe that you are exaggerating, but I get that you are not). My other surprise was the very explicit alchemical theory behind these practices (and I mean Western Alchemical Symbolism that was VERY explicit) and the fact that the ones who did them had no idea about it.

I believe at a very practical level the two are foundationally linked, Kio has been kind enough to create my own thread to accommodate the necessary length of explanation for explaining that foundation so I will not repeat what I have written there, but I will attempt to provide at least a broad outline for my justification here, and I do not at all mean for it be condescending to anyone who does not possess talent in either or both areas.
    It's interesting to read it. My physical "athletic" skills are close to non-existent (the ONLY area in which I am good is in breathing exercises, but it's a bit different than having athletic skills). It is an interesting subject and I am mostly curious about it. I have practiced Yoga in a "cult" for 3 months, then I practiced Yoga for a year in a more traditional way (nothing too strange, just an average school of Yoga), I have a short adventure in Tai-Chi (which I found out that it wasn't "my thing", I felt like Jerry Lewis there in a typical sketch in which he's making a mess)... and I practiced a non-orthodox style of Bioenergetics exercises for some 3 years (Lowen style, but WITHOUT the "psychological" part... and with a focus on the body... which was somehow like "Tai-Chi for people who are too clumsy for Tai-Chi" -in the style that I practiced, which was not too orthodox).

Other than that, I do enjoy meditation a lot.

So I am asking questions with interest because I have never been able to understand the connection between "mysticism" (as to give it a name) and the "athletic skills" and yet there are LOTS of schools that clearly link these two issues (Yoga, Tai-Chi, most of the Martial Arts, etc). Each time I found myself involved in a practice like these ones, I found myself VERY confused and unable to understand what the hell I was doing (but my experience is QUITE limited).

It is probably one of the HUGE differences between "typical" mystical Western schools and "typical" mystical Eastern schools.

Remember the blue eyed travelling monk Bodhidharma first taught the monks of the Shaolin Temple Kung-Fu because their bodies were too weak to withstand the meditations and contemplation necessary for their practice.

edit. a final thought for the more Pythagorean minded: when someone is starting on the journey to becoming healthy, we refer to them as getting "in shape"
    Interesting ideas. I must admit that I do not get them at all, but I do not discard them. For me a TYPICAL meditation involves somehow "leaving the body behind" (which doesn't require much physical skills to be honest)... but I have always been very interested in understanding those who think in a different way, because it's something that I am obviously not getting and I am quite unable to understand it. So I'll try to follow this thread without interrupting, but asking some questions if I get lost. It is somehow an "unexplored area" for me.

Being myself more "pythagorean minded" (and quite neo-platonic), the quote you brought for the Asclepius reminded me a LOT of my own personal favorite:

"26. Of that nature which is beyond intellect, many things are asserted through intellection, but it is surveyed by a cessation of intellectual energy better than with it; just as with respect to one who is asleep, many things are asserted of him while he is in that state by those who are awake; but the proper knowledge and apprehension of his dormant condition, is only to be obtained through sleep. For the similar is known by the similar; because all knowledge is an assimilation to the object of knowledge." (Porphyry): http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/po...e_02_trans.htm

... BUT I never related such thing to any kind of "athletic" practice (I am using the word "athletic" as to make a difference between something like being supporting the whole weight of the body in one finger and a meditation that only involves, physically, to be seated or even lying on the floor... so it is just an expression that I am using as to be clear for the lack of a better term).

Which specific school of thought inspired you the most in the connection between mysticism and athleticism? (the question is poorly asked, but I can't think of better terms as to be clear). I am curious because this one is for sure my most undeveloped area and I may enjoy to change such thing or give it a try one more time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral
    So I am asking questions with interest because I have never been able to understand the connection between "mysticism" (as to give it a name) and the "athletic skills" and yet there are LOTS of schools that clearly link these two issues

[. . .]

Interesting ideas. I must admit that I do not get them at all, but I do not discard them. For me a TYPICAL meditation involves somehow "leaving the body behind" (which doesn't require much physical skills to be honest).
    I'll offer my explanation for this, or at least the one I've found most reasonable, and most practical.

The Surangama Sutra outlines five basic philosophies behind meditation to achieve arhatship (to become a perfected person), and one of these is 'Meditation on the Perception of Objects of Touch':

Upali then rose from his seat, prostrated himself with his head at the feet of the Buddha and declared: "I personally accompanied the Buddha, and we climbed the city wall to flee from home. With my own eyes, I saw how He endured hardship in His practice during the first years of ascetic life, subdued all demons, overcame heretics and freed Himself from worldly desires and all impure efflux (asrava) from the mind. He personally taught me discipline, including the three thousand regulations and eighty thousand lines of conduct which purified all my innate and conventional subtle karmas. As my body and mind were in the nirvanic state, I attained arhatship and the Tathagata sealed my mind because of my strict observance of discipline and control of body. I am now a pillar of discipline in this assembly and am regarded as the foremost disciple. As the Buddha now asks about the best means of perfection, in my opinion, the best consists in disciplining the body so that it can free itself from all restraints and then in disciplining the mind so that it can be all-pervading, which results in the freedom of both body and mind."
    There are also passages in this Sutra corresponding to the other analogies of 'Touch'. The sense of touch, the organ of touch, meditation on the body as well as meditation on the element earth.

I find athletics to be very important in my own mystical practices, much like the quote by Visceral states, depending on the type of practice it is possible to conduct high frequency energy through the body. In the West it is more commonly known as Invocation. If the nervous system isn't strong enough, the body will burn out from over heating of the nervous system. I've experienced this personally before I knew what I was doing. For two weeks I couldn't do anything besides lay in bed, feeling quite brain dead with migraines and body ache.

The best way to train the nervous system is to push the physical body as far as it goes, and then push it further. To illustrate this point, one of my favorite quotes (paraphrased here) from an old Japanese martial artist:

"The only way to surpass our physical limitations is with strength and fortitude of Mind. Strength and fortitude of Mind do not begin to develop until the body begins to fail."

Yes, I brought the issue because of its oddity... I saw how a person can ACTUALLY develop "athletic" skills which nobody would even believe that they are possible (I used to joke about it with this person and tell her that she should join the X-Men). So I don't distrust your claims for I have seen something that is mostly identical (If I haven't seen it with my own eyes, I would probably believe that you are exaggerating, but I get that you are not). My other surprise was the very explicit alchemical theory behind these practices (and I mean Western Alchemical Symbolism that was VERY explicit) and the fact that the ones who did them had no idea about it.
    I believe all practices upon proper inspection would chime as amazingly "alchemical" to anyone who has been sufficiently Initiated into the Mysteries, as language itself is alchemical. All of them. Some are closer to the root language that was used by the ancients to work wonders and some of those sounds survive to this day. Schum has provided more information already on those fragments than I can but to get back to the point, ALL symbols and secrets of any sort relate back to THE original secret society. I am not educated enough in the specifics of "western" alchemy that so many seem to have mastered here and so I cannot be sure I relate the exact meaning of the symbol you mention, but I do believe my grasp of Philosophy allows me to grasp enough of the essence to understand your surprise at encountering the symbol seemingly out of place.

I recognize the symbol from this figure, but do not know the origins or commonly understod meaning given by alchemical Adepts. I understand it as portraying the "as above, so below" concept and also the circling the square riddle beloved by Far Eastern mystics, but perhaps you could espound upon this?

It's interesting to read it. My physical "athletic" skills are close to non-existent (the ONLY area in which I am good is in breathing exercises, but it's a bit different than having athletic skills). It is an interesting subject and I am mostly curious about it. I have practiced Yoga in a "cult" for 3 months, then I practiced Yoga for a year in a more traditional way (nothing too strange, just an average school of Yoga), I have a short adventure in Tai-Chi (which I found out that it wasn't "my thing", I felt like Jerry Lewis there in a typical sketch in which he's making a mess)... and I practiced a non-orthodox style of Bioenergetics exercises for some 3 years (Lowen style, but WITHOUT the "psychological" part... and with a focus on the body... which was somehow like "Tai-Chi for people who are too clumsy for Tai-Chi" -in the style that I practiced, which was not too orthodox).

Other than that, I do enjoy meditation a lot.
    There's yoga, and there's Yoga. The difference, as in most things, is understanding the objective. WHY are you doing yoga. WHAT is yoga. WHERE will yoga supposedly get you. Yoga means literally "to yoke". To yoke what? Your spiritual growth to your physical actions. There are many styles of aggressive stretching that haven't the slightest true spirit or slightest grasp of the original goal. This is because (as you have witnessed yourself) any one part of the Truth is so Powerful, so Mind blowing, so Real, that to even have a slightest part of it is to hold immeasurable power over those sleeping, unprotected minds we might call Plebs and even those absurd reductionists we could call Philistines. This is because both of those things have their Root and Source in a common place, that is the Truth.

Finding a good yoga teacher takes some doing, immediately turn away from anything resembling a cult of personality or requiring high fees(unless they are part of a large gym or run a "hot yoga" style class or have some other obvious need for the funds beyond stuffing the personal vault of the teacher). As always, you will easily identify a real teacher by their insistence on communicating the Art itself over a thinly veiled attempt at self glorifying their own understanding of the Art.

So I am asking questions with interest because I have never been able to understand the connection between "mysticism" (as to give it a name) and the "athletic skills" and yet there are LOTS of schools that clearly link these two issues (Yoga, Tai-Chi, most of the Martial Arts, etc). Each time I found myself involved in a practice like these ones, I found myself VERY confused and unable to understand what the hell I was doing (but my experience is QUITE limited).

It is probably one of the HUGE differences between "typical" mystical Western schools and "typical" mystical Eastern schools.
    I think part of the issue is it sounds like you were training a style of martial arts that is considered "soft" or mostly theoretical. With a very few exceptions (shotokan, kempo, some schools of judo) Eastern styles are considered "soft" and western styles "hard". Or in alchemical language, Feminine vs Male, Silver vs Gold etc. The trick (just as in alchemy) is to give birth to the Androgynous Child, or as I sometimes say utilize Western technique with an Eastern philosophy. You sound as if your mind is heavily leaned towards one end of the scale and I would say the experiment failed because you were trying to mix "like with like" alone.

Interesting ideas. I must admit that I do not get them at all, but I do not discard them. For me a TYPICAL meditation involves somehow "leaving the body behind" (which doesn't require much physical skills to be honest)... but I have always been very interested in understanding those who think in a different way, because it's something that I am obviously not getting and I am quite unable to understand it. So I'll try to follow this thread without interrupting, but asking some questions if I get lost. It is somehow an "unexplored area" for me.
    Let us imagine you were really, really into "leaving the body behind". To the point where you were trying to maximize that exploration fully. The more well conditioned your body or "anchor" the longer and deeper that voyage can become. If we consider the thing that drives the mind to be the nourishment of the Body or its own Animus Mundi, then when we "leave" the body, to the degree we "leave", to that same degree we remove the nourishment. A body strengthened through consistent influx of that same Animus Mundi will be much less vulnerable when left unattended and take much longer to begin to suffer ill effects from this neglect than a body which is only at best regularly receiving the minimum dribble of this Animus Mundi it needs to hold its existence together.

By not maintaining the body, or by neglecting our Anchor, we shorten both the length of time and quality of operation of the Mind.

Most importantly, when the Mind and Body are centered and engaged together in mutual, difficult activity requiring absolute concentration, AT THAT MOMENT there will be an awareness of the Thing which IS the Void which is NEITHER the MIND NOR the BODY. With experience, this can be made manifest in every day experience. Your female companion was familiar with the practice while being ignorant of nearly every application available therewith aside from what I would call the obvious physical "tricks".

I don't find your questions an interruption at all. Such discussion is the whole point of these threads!

Being myself more "pythagorean minded" (and quite neo-platonic), the quote you brought for the Asclepius reminded me a LOT of my own personal favorite:

"26. Of that nature which is beyond intellect, many things are asserted through intellection, but it is surveyed by a cessation of intellectual energy better than with it; just as with respect to one who is asleep, many things are asserted of him while he is in that state by those who are awake; but the proper knowledge and apprehension of his dormant condition, is only to be obtained through sleep. For the similar is known by the similar; because all knowledge is an assimilation to the object of knowledge." (Porphyry): http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/po...e_02_trans.htm

... BUT I never related such thing to any kind of "athletic" practice (I am using the word "athletic" as to make a difference between something like being supporting the whole weight of the body in one finger and a meditation that only involves, physically, to be seated or even lying on the floor... so it is just an expression that I am using as to be clear for the lack of a better term).
    I usually use the term Siddhis

Siddhis (Sanskrit and Pali; Devanagari सिद्धि;Tamil: சித்தி; Tibetan: དངོས་གྲུབ, THL: ngödrup,[web 1]) are spiritual, paranormal, supernatural, or otherwise magical powers, abilities, and attainments that are the products of spiritual advancement through sādhanās such as meditation and yoga.[1] The term ṛddhi (Pali: iddhi, "psychic powers") is often used interchangeably in Buddhism.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddhi

However, there is not one true teacher that will not tell you that if you develop Siddhis ignore them. Move on to something else. Because they are foothills to the mountains, and many are those who wander forever in them without ever glimpsing the abodes of the gods and Wise.

It sounds as if your female friend had gone much further along that particular path than I have, but I do not focus on them in particular for the aforementioned caution of the Wise. I'm not surprised as all cults are formed from essentially obsessing over a small fragment of the Truth to the complete Ignorance of the Entire Work. I do however have video and picture evidence of myself doing the Siddhis I mentioned I have before, mostly because it's easier to post a picture than argue with people. Perhaps eventually I would be willing to share this with a mod or someone else for verification purposes, but I have no interest in posting anything for a "wow" effect. (beyond getting the likes of my usual handful of friends and family who don't really know or understand a thing about what I spend my time doing or why I can do what I can)

Which specific school of thought inspired you the most in the connection between mysticism and athleticism? (the question is poorly asked, but I can't think of better terms as to be clear). I am curious because this one is for sure my most undeveloped area and I may enjoy to change such thing or give it a try one more time.
    My life has been a series of the most absurdly beneficial accidents (even accounting for all the personal karmic garbage that comes with any Incarnation)

I trained under a very open minded, very competent instructor who was a perfect Buddhist who never mentioned Buddhism (I never realized it until I began my journey into Buddhism years later), who trained under Dan Inosanto, who was the principle student of Bruce Lee, who was trained originally in Wung Chun by the real life Ip Man. At the age of 18 I attended a seminar by a legend in martial arts known as Erik Paulson. He trained in the East for years and competed in I don't know how many no rules matches there. He has several fights on youtube but was past his prime when the UFC and other promotions made martial arts other than boxing popular. Erik was the first person I ever heard use the word "merkaba". As part of the seminar he showed us all a specific way to crack our partners back for the warm up. As it happened there was an odd number of people and I was left without a partner. Erik noticed and without even really saying anything had me put my hands behind my head, placed his arms under mine and laced his hands over mine in a "full nelson" type position, and then what happened after I can only describe as he picked me up by my head.

Every vertebrae in my spine cracked and separated and aligned all at once. I felt an electric shock the length of my nervous system that felt like it popped right out of my head. I spent about a minute standing totally still just vibrating. After 2 hours of amazing drills and blowing our minds with details of the basics he walked us through the (I think it's 22 breath? can't remember atm) Merkaba breath count and I had a very different experience than most people there with it, I think.

I thank God for that Saturday afternoon nearly everyday.

If I could give you any one piece of advice to take home about martial arts, it would be to watch "Choke"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvzJO-6ESc

Rickson Gracie is the the son of the founder of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and unanimously known as the best of the legendary Gracie family. He happens to be a devout practitioner of a form of yoga that produces similar results to Kundalini or Zen practice, in that he consciously summons a "zero point" as he calls it. Or a flow state, or a moving delta wave state. All practitioners of any legitimate martial art are familiar with this "zone" to some degree, and it can be found among any devoted practitioner of any path. As a child I found it playing video games. The best description ever is Musashi Miyamotos Book of Five Rings, which I cannot recommend enough.

Watching Rickson is watching a Master who has no formal training in the Art we know, but a perfect understanding of its internal applications.

My advice if you're interested would be to go to a local Jiu Jitsu gym (gi or no gi doesn't matter if you're not going pro) and commit to a solid year of it. Research your gym first, bullshido.com can help you there and mostly know what to look for. Medals on the wall and pictures with people in the community. The martial arts community is very, very small and if a school is ostracized from the legitimate schools there is a reason for it. Most schools offer a free class or week of classes to try out. Immediate contracts are a bad sign.

What does legitimate mean for a martial arts school? In a word: competition. Active competition. Thats why you look for medals and pictures of the instructor on podiums. Not all great teachers competed extensively, but if they didn't they trained under someone who did and that lineage extends all the way back (whether they know it or not) to Bodhidharma and that Shaolin Temple. What may interest you is later on when I show this "Bodhidharma" is our same Hermes (or a very close disciple) and these arts originate actually in much more familiar territory, most probably near the Mediterranean or turkey.

You won't need to "roll" as they say in the first week, or even month. Nobody will make you do anything beyond regular light drills with the class (which you can observe your first time if you want). But eventually you will want to, and you will learn it doesn't hurt (unless there's an accident, very rare in grappling arts) and you didn't die and it was actually a lot of fun.

edit. I fear I have rambled at length and may have missed the intention of your question. Apologies if so, this is not only what I consider a crucial part of the path but also a personal hobby and lifetime obsession. Left to my own devices I could and would ramble endlessly about lineage and famous matches and Artists and where which technique developed and who used it when to beat who.
    Last edited by Visceral; 05-09-2017 at 04:46 AM.

Yes Kios! You comprehend my position completely, and even provide a passage I have never read from a subject I take pride in my knowledge of!

What joy to take company in such minds!

+ Reply to Thread