Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick Water-Boiling Stove

Blog Entries

Quick Water-Boiling Stove

Quote Originally Posted by Awani View Post
    recently got a new stove that boils water in a few seconds
    Do you have a name/brand/link for such a stove?

Blog Entries
    Coming home today I went to check and it does not have a brand name anywhere... which is probably why we picked it since I don't like brand names on things. I like things to be clean.

But it is a modern stove, nothing special... most people have it these days. It uses magnetism somehow, so if you remove the pan/pot the heat goes away.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Yes, I recently got one of those too, a gift from a friend who somehow gave me almost the whole of his lab.
    I had never used them and didn't know they existed. The one I have looks similar to this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewa.../dp/B0044WWBGG

(the brand of the one I have is "Recco", it is this one: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...cion-recco-_JM , but I think it's an Argentinean brand, I am not sure).

But I guess different brands or even unbranded products do the same. It is a magnetic heater (so you need to place a magnetic metal on top or it does nothing, no heat at all)... and it is just like Awani says, they are very different to the usual lab hot plates... the (magnetic) metal rises its temperature in seconds to the selected temperature... and if you have never seen them, they look like "magic", though I think they are not a rarity and probably several people has them. Very useful for heating something VERY fast.

They are not designed for labs, but for cooking, but they are a nice alternative to the traditional hot plates for labs (LOL, I feel dumb talking about a household appliance, but I was amazed when I saw the pot go from room temperature to 350ºC in maybe less than 10 seconds). They are cheap.

Blog Entries
    Quite curious, these things. I'm assuming these hot plates work off magnetic induction and resonating fields.

How are these not used in a lab?
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 06-10-2017 at 01:40 AM.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Quite curious, these things. I'm assuming they work off magnetic induction and resonating fields.
    How are these not used in a lab?
    Maybe they are. I have not seen the lab equipment suppliers of my area selling them (the typical are the ones the ones that work with an electric resistance). Maybe some labs use them, but at least in my area it's not the typical product to see at a lab supplier shop... but very typical (and cheap) in places for household appliances.
    These two wiki articles explain how they work:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_heating
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking

It looks that they are used in the metallurgy industry though (according to the first article). They are nice for labs though, but maybe a bit tricky for they are probably prone to cause thermal shocks (the temperature goes up VERY fast). I have been "playing" with my new one (which is designed for cooking) and I had to increase the temperature manually slowly, for if I had selected the maximum heat, then the flask would have said "very nice, but I think I crash into pieces".

But if you are cautious, then they are nice. I like the one I have since a few days ago.

The thing with induction heating is you have to use a conductive material as your utensil, which limits your choice.
    The stove surface still gets hot after the pan has been on it for a while.

Can it induce heat into the food itself?

Ghislain

+ Reply to Thread