Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Those the Gods wish to destroy......

Those the Gods wish to destroy......

The adage: those that the Gods wish to destroy they first send mad. Looking at Wikipedia this saying has a provenance going back to Sophocles. Looking at the behaviour of various political and religious extremists on YouTube a lot of mad behaviour is shown and also a lot of fanatical beliefs. Fanaticism is in my opinion a form of mania. You get Facists marching around and fighting, the opposing neo-Marxist 'Libtards' doing pretty much the same.

I wonder if the reason they are all going mad is the lack of belief and respect for a pantheon of Deities and that this lack of paganism is the reason they go so crazy and violent. As a Pantheist (the view that there is an overall Spiritual principal with various Deities expressing aspects of this in a more accesable way), I find monotheism and the brutal conflicts over heresies another madness which has gripped Europe many times over centuries. So again a lack of the Gods just one supreme God leading to mass violent insanity. Looking at the saying and how it has evolved the earlier versions seem to suggest that a person needs 'the Gods' to stay balanced personally and in their life. So monotheism and atheism if this is true lead inevitably towards mania and ruination. In as far as most historical literature on Alchemy tends to have a monotheistic spiritual view when one is present: Does it follow that Alchemists were generally mad?

Blog Entries
    Somewhat related. Many people have tried, but it is impossible to post this link on Facebook: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria

As for your comment on God/Gods. Since I think we and God/Gods are one and the same, a lack of respect and a lack of the sacred in life is - in the end - a lack of respect for the self.

I still think we are dealing with monotheism. Hinduism is monotheism even though they have many different gods, but these are just different "avatars" of the same god. Pantheism (as I am a "follower" of as well) is in a sense monotheism, without elitism or hierarchy. The problem is WORDS... and that is why the story of the Tower of Babel is so important. When we talk in a visual language (telepathy, psychedelics, meditation, music etc.) then there are way less conflict.

I used to be an atheist, boy was I stupid. LOL.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Does this mean then that because most European Alchemists were either Christian or monotheist that the Gods were driving them mad. Perhaps only the pagan ones were OK?

Blog Entries
    Depends on whether you dwell in Unity or Duality, I think. Unity, the monotheism and unmanifest potential, necessarily includes every variable, every option, always available. Duality likes to pick and choose and limit things.

If that's correct, then I would think duality is "sane" while unity is "stark-raving mad"

Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

I think that existence contains numerous dualities so aspiring to a pure absolute monotheism or a pure absolute atheism in a life filled with polarity and duality may well be the problem. The aphorism: Those the Gods wish to destroy they first send mad is I think true. The spiritual reductionism of effectively ignoring duality in favour of a singular solution leads to ever increasing brutal mania and insanity amongst extreme left wing types (usually atheist) and extreme right wing types (usually monotheist). So if many historical Alchemists were also monotheist were they perhaps not entirely sane?

This is very broad I know. Essentially if a singular perspective is unhealthy and many Alchemists had a singular view were they adopting a flawed approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Axismundi000 View Post
    I think that existence contains numerous dualities
    What is the difference between 'multiple possibilities' and 'multiple dualities"?

The nature of reality is a very broad question. My enquiry is: does belief purely in a singular absolute imply the Gods have decided to drive you mad then destroy you. Did this happen to some Alchemists?

You specifically used the phrase 'multiple dualities' though... Does this, in your opinion, different at all from 'multiple realities'?

I don't give the slightest care about what any "gods" have 'decided'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Axismundi000 View Post
    ...does belief purely in a singular absolute imply the Gods have decided to drive you mad then destroy you. Did this happen to some Alchemists?
    I would say no. Most past, present and future alchemist go mad because of mercury and other substances... or the greed for gold.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    You specifically used the phrase 'multiple dualities' though... Does this, in your opinion, different at all from 'multiple realities'?

I don't give the slightest care about what any "gods" have 'decided'
    It seems you are not interested at in the question but prefer to start one of your own may I suggest initiating a fresh thread were I would participate.

+ Reply to Thread