Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket = CUNTS

Blog Entries

Exclamation Photobucket = CUNTS

Millions of people have been using Photobucket to host images for free that they post in forums, blogs and personal websites without any profit in mind. This has been going on for 14 years.

Now these cunts want 400 bucks a year. All images posted have been taken off-line. This is ransom/blackmail.

This means that thousands of posts and threads in the forum are mangled. I, and many others, make posts with images. All those posts are now screwed.

I suspect Photobucket to go out of business. The Internet does not seem pleased.

Are you safe because you are using another image hosting site? Are you? I doubt it.

Best thing is to not use images anymore, which is a bit of a blow to the forums.

Personally I don't feel like fixing the URL of the thousands of images I have posted. I've got a lot of interesting projects going on at the monent and basically stuff like this is like a fucking joke to me. Ya Basta!

See you in the cosmos.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Yes. You bastards

However, it seems my own PhotoBucket inserts have not been affected (for now). Apparently, it only happens when you exceed a certain limit (as their phot-o'meter suggests).

Still, I haven't been using them for a while and have been hosting images/documents/etc on my own server instead, where I also host my websites. I do pay for this, but it's A LOT less per year and no one gives me any ransom shit about it.

Another program (for downloading YouTube videos) recently started asking for money. 2 months later, it stopped asking for money

The funny thing is, I very often DONATE to "free" sites or programs that I like (if there is such an option). I donate to Wikipedia almost every year, I donated to who knows how many plugins and add-ons for my browser (such as Ad-Block Plus). I don't know how many people actually donate for this "free" stuff, but I personally think it's a much better model for developers and end-users alike.

Blog Entries
    Billions of photos have gone off-line. People have started to talk about Photobucket becoming a powerpoint in business school of how to run something into the ground. Suicide.

I am going to fix the logo of the forums later.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

I put a lot of my photos on the free webspace allotted to me in my ISP contract, thing is they didn't keep a check on it for years. I have uploaded gigabytes of extra data and NOW they realise. They haven't taken them off, but won't allow me to upload any more. I tried deleting some, but it makes no difference

Thing I wonder now is, if I change providers will they all disappear into cyberspace?

I have started using my own paid webspace now.

Ghislain

If you haven't realized it yet, this is the new big business model... Open up a free service (Evernote, for example), attract millions of users to your free service, users become "dependant" on said service, decide all of a sudden to charge for the service, make money. I sort of like the idea and do indeed support it. Capitalism FTW! If you don't like it...adapt and/or find an alternative solution.

I do not know the details of the Photobucket decision to charge, but I highly doubt it was an overnight thing. If they did it without any warning, sure, they are complete assholes, but I still support it. It is their service that you have decided to use, and they have the right to change their offered service at any time. I find it hard to believe they did this overnight and feel that they most likely displayed or informed users of this upcoming change at least a day before doing it, and if they did, I fully support the change.

Use Imgur, or as Andro suggested, spend your $50/year (or less!) and use your own website as a host. Photobucket, for example, is doing nothing wrong here. You used their service freely for years, they decided they wanted to make a little money (read: a whole lot of money), and now you're pissed. They owe you nothing. You used their service and now they are changing what they offer. Adapt. Find another service.

Do you really think Google, iCloud, and all these other "free" hosting sites are doing it for you? No! At the end of the day they are not only doing hardcore data analysis on your proprietary information that you upload, but they are also using your work to train AI, which I also fully support. On top of this, they sell your data and information surrounding your data (upload location, time, content, last browed paged before heading to site, etc.) to other companies. It's how people make money.

Blog Entries
    As a businessman this is simply bad strategy, and they will loose money instead of making more. It is suicide.

14 years of free service (with option to pay if you want ad-free). And Photobucket had plenty of ads. It is a cunty move regardless of what they are "allowed" to do.

READ: www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update

...the photo hosting site quietly introduced a $399 annual fee to users who want to embed images on third party websites...
    Photobucket announced in a short blog post that it had updated its terms of service that had begun taking effect from June 20th. Nowhere in the blog post did Photobucket highlight the most important change, which was that it will now cost uploaders $400 a year to insert their photos on another website using direct image links.
    It appears some users can’t even download their own photos out of their Photobucket accounts without upgrading.
    CUNTS is the word here. Simple as that. It is legal in some countries to fuck children... make it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    ...but I still support it.
    Ok, so Schmuldvich... starting Monday you have to pay me 50 USD every month to even be able to read the posts in this forum. Are you on board?

At the end of the day they are not only doing hardcore data analysis on your proprietary information that you upload, but they are also using your work to train AI, which I also fully support. On top of this, they sell your data and information surrounding your data (upload location, time, content, last browed paged before heading to site, etc.) to other companies. It's how people make money.
    Oh I don't care about that. Those algorithms are obviously from the Stone Age... I know because they constantly target me with the wrong products because they can't understand by google-skills. I laugh at their petty attempts.

Last edited by Awani; 07-07-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awani View Post
    Ok, so Schmuldvich... starting Monday you have to pay me 50 USD every month to even be able to read the posts in this forum. Are you on board?
    Fuck no. As suggested in my above post, I would adapt.

Which, being that this site means so little to me, I would end up just leaving.

(Btw, I just sent you some money by donating to site again, but please do not put my name under 'Patrons Of The Sacred Art' or share any of my personal information. Thank you)

At the end of the day they are not only doing hardcore data analysis on your proprietary information that you upload, but they are also using your work to train AI, which I also fully support. On top of this, they sell your data and information surrounding your data (upload location, time, content, last browed paged before heading to site, etc.) to other companies. It's how people make money.
    Oh I don't care about that. Those algorithms are obviously from the Stone Age... I know because they constantly target me with the wrong products because they can't understand by google-skills. I laugh at their petty attempts.
    And with your information they laugh all the way to the bank! The least of their concerns is advertising to you. You are a peon and every purchase you have ever made in your life barely registers even a smidgen in their bank accounts. The real money comes from your data...the real gold that they are after. Data is the new oil of this century.

Which brings me to another point *oh god* **must merge/start new threads now**, the people in power above us do not need any nefarious tactics to get us to give up our information and data. Ever heard of Google Home or Amazon Echo? We, the consumers, buy these things and place them in our homes voluntarily. We are the morons. Have a Facebook? Ever flown in the past 5 years? You are in a database, fully 3D scanned, with full facial, retina, & ear recognition as well. Have you used a smartphone in the past 10 years? Every move you have ever made has been tracked and all of your text messages have been read (again, to improve AI, among other reasons). The future is interesting.

What are you going to do about your Photobucket account and the Alchemy Forums top banner? That banner is so hideous and 2000's-looking, it's about time for a re-design!!! THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN!!! HEED THEIR PRODDING, CHILD!!!

Why do you still have the link in your sig and the banner supporting Photobucket advertising for them (by not removing the banner or the link in your sig) if you think they are such cunts...?

Blog Entries
    Data is not as valuable as Coltan. And it does not cause as much suffering. And yes this is a bit OT.

The reason I have not changed anything is because I have got better things to do.

Thanks for donation. And now your personal data is mine. Muhahahaha.

I just checked my photos are still up so presumably I haven't gone over the limit.

This strategy of running a service and a slash and burn finishing strategy, personally the idea of the so called; long con springs to mind.

The reason I have not changed anything is because I have got better things to do.
    Here, I spent all day making this for you

http://i.imgur.com/8SR5ZXj.jpg

And here is your signature pizza guy

http://i.imgur.com/xJ8SHDO.jpg

...You're welcome.

+ Reply to Thread