Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saturn Cast Out

Blog Entries

Saturn Cast Out

For some time this quote by Paracelsus from his Coelum Philosophorum has interested me:

THE FIFTH CANON.

CONCERNING THE NATURE AND PROPERTIES OP SATURN.

Of his own nature Saturn speaks thus: The other six have cast me out as their examiner. They have thrust me forth from them and from a spiritual place.
    I've had my own ideas about the quote for some time, towards the common line of thinking Saturn is 'Time' as well as representing 'Karma'.

Recently I read this article on the days of the week, which explains things a bit more:

It's tempting to think the adoption of this calendrical convention is connected to the people who took the idea of alphabetic writing and invented the runes.

For some reason, this translation starts the week with the Moon, leaves out Saturn and inserts either (Old Germanic) "Laugo Dagaz" (Basically "laundry day" or "cleaning day") or (Saxon) "Sunnanæfen" (Sun's Eve), and then later reinserts Saturn, except in Scandinavia. The norse or germanic equivalent of Saturn/Kronos would be Ymir - his omission can perhaps tell us something about his cosmological status compared to the Greco-Roman pantheon.
    -source

So, what's up with everyone excluding or casting out Saturn?
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

In Kabbalah Saturn relates to Binah which is above the great outer abyss so separate from the other classical planets. The abyss is sometimes considered as chaos and the 3 kabbalistic spheres (sephiroth) above could be considered transcendent principals which the human mind has difficulty understanding so it just perceives the chaos of the abyss. The fact that sephirah Binah which Saturn is a part of, is above the abyss makes it fundamentally more primal and part of an emanation that is separated by the abyss from the emanations the other planets are part of. The other 6 classical planets are ascribed to sephiroth lower down the tree of life, they are below tha abyss
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 07-23-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Pesky iPad predictive

Blog Entries
    I have heard that reasoning before, but it doesn't seem in line with Paracelsus' theory:

They have thrust me forth from them and from a spiritual place.
    Unless it's to mean that all the other 6 cooperate to bring him out.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Applying the great inspiration/exhalation cycle to the tree of life Saturn is either sent forth by the other planets or left behind. Also it literally depends on perspective, whether you are looking up from malkuth or down from kether . Additionally in the supernals all things are unified so when the planets come out from the other Sephiroth lower down the tree Saturn remains in a way unified in the supernal Sephirah of Binah above the abyss.
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 07-24-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added a bit

+ Reply to Thread