Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123

Thread: The chest of the mysteries

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    162

    The chest of the mysteries


    Know that the adepts have in their wisdom locked the mysteries in a chest that has three locks. Three keys are required to open it and gain access to the treasures of antiquity. The adepts in their writings hint at how the first two keys may be obtained but when it comes to discussion of the last key they press their finger tightly against their lips. They teach and believe that this last key must be given to you by the revelation of God, they say only a good man will receive it. Few are those who have had the honour of placing that last key in the lock and turning it three times!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridger Mountains
    Posts
    1,528
    Blog Entries
    4
    Interesting stuff!

    Can i ask, what are the first two keys that are openly shared?
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Interesting stuff!

    Can i ask, what are the first two keys that are openly shared?
    Alchemy is just one of the mysteries of which traditionally there are three, these three mysteries are broken into three parts each.

    Thrice greatest hermes was one who was a master adept possessing the three parts of the three chief mysteries.

    Since this forum is about Alchemy chiefly the first key liberally discussed in Alchemical text is the identity of the first matter. The second key discussed less so then the first is the solvent of the alchemists. The third key is what they simply call "cooking" which is made out to be a simple task when in reality its the hardest part of the whole procedure.

    It is perhaps for this reason that in my opinion there has been no one who has completed the great work in quite a few hundred years.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    Since this forum is about Alchemy chiefly the first key liberally discussed in Alchemical text is the identity of the first matter. The second key discussed less so then the first is the solvent of the alchemists. The third key is what they simply call "cooking" which is made out to be a simple task when in reality its the hardest part of the whole procedure.
    You've summed up all of alchemy very nicely, Luxus. It's all about the composition, the water and the cooking.

    The composition is One, but based on several.

    The identity of the water(s) is likely the most hidden secret in alchemy.

    The "cooking" involves four different temperature regimes to fix the subtle and to sublitize the fixed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    You've summed up all of alchemy very nicely, Luxus. It's all about the composition, the water and the cooking.

    The "cooking" involves four different temperature regimes.
    But unlike what Luxus says the most hidden and difficult to decipher part of alchemy is in fact the composition of the "matter" and the secret solvent. The "coction" is what is actually more freely and clearly described in most texts, and for an obvious reason: no one can fully figure out the actual substances used at the start of the process by reading descriptions of the "coction" or last part of the process.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    But unlike what Luxus says the most hidden and difficult to decipher part of alchemy is in fact the composition of the "matter" and the secret solvent. The "coction" is what is actually more freely and clearly described in most texts, and for an obvious reason: no one can fully figure out the actual substances used at the start of the process by reading descriptions of the "coction" or last part of the process.
    You just wrote that while I was editing my message. I agree, but think that the most hidden part is the identity of the water. There are many clues as to the identity of the matters that result in the composition, but almost no clues at all on the identity of the water.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    You just wrote that while I was editing my message. I agree, but think that the most hidden part is the identity of the water. There are many clues as to the identity of the matters that result in the composition, but almost no clues at all on the identity of the water.
    After having read what many Alexandrian, Byzantine and Arab alchemists say on the subject of "Magnesia" (their favorite code-name for the initial composite "matter"), there are two possibilities:

    1- The "water" is generated from the "Magnesia" itself

    2- The "water" is a separate preparation with its own peculiar set of substances that give it birth, and is then applied to the "Magnesia" (for example, as seen in al-Iraqi's "Cultivation of Gold" treatise, where one of the components of the "Magnesia" is obviously a liquid)

    Maybe the answer to the apparent contradiction is that there are two separate -but still related- approaches that give positive results. One method prepares the "water" from the "Magnesia" itself (by adding some key substances to its composition), while the other one prepares the "water" separately and then uses it to compose the "Magnesia". In all cases, though, this "water", no matter when prepared, is crucial and absolutely necessary to make the Stone. Without it there can be no "Stone", since part of its very substance is derived from this "water" by "coagulation" through prolonged "coction".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridger Mountains
    Posts
    1,528
    Blog Entries
    4
    What might lead to some interesting meditations is if quadrapolarity is applied to the secret solvent just like it is to the regimes of cooking.

    But that's just a guess


    Edit: you guys are fast today! Haha

    The "water" is a separate preparation with its own peculiar set of substances that give it birth, and is then applied to the "Magnesia" (for example, as seen in al-Iraqi's "Cultivation of Gold" treatise, where one of the components of the "Magnesia" is obviously a liquid)
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    162
    Do remember, and you are frequently reminded that when we speak plainly we are being most obscure and when we speak obscurely we are actually speaking most plainly(at least as plainly as is permitted). So the fact that you believe the cooking procedure is the one most plainly described should tell you that...it ant that simple!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridger Mountains
    Posts
    1,528
    Blog Entries
    4
    Simple in theory, difficult in practice?

    Also, thanks for the reply, Luxus
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts