Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The chest of the mysteries

Quote Originally Posted by Warmheart View Post
    That's exactly what I wrote about. Given the true meaning behind some symbols, you wouldn't be sure if they are true and most likely would discard them. The name of the matter doesn't mean much by itself - you also need to know the operation. And, of course, Salamander isn't Magnet of Philosophers, it isn't Philosophers' Mercury, etc. Those are actually different things. The One thing which matters is Anima Mundi and Man as Microcosm.

Even by the one name, e.g. Philosophers Mercury, a lot of entirely different things were understood - depending on the author and on context...
    Basically, yes. One thing to understand is that the sages often used different names for the very same thing, but which referred to the various changes in color of that same thing. Thus even the 'mercury' changed names at different stages of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    Basically, yes. One thing to understand is that the sages often used different names for the very same thing, but which referred to the various changes in color of that same thing. Thus even the 'mercury' changed names at different stages of the process.
    The way I describe the word "Mercury" to those seeking comprehension of the texts, is that the word basically means "it". It's an easy way to talk about something without saying exactly what it is, or revealing what Stage of our Matter is being talked about. Generally it is refered to as "our Mercury" in this context.

Now, I would say that Mercury Of The Sages or Mercury Of The Philosophers most often has a concrete meaning and is used to describe something in particular more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    Can you explain why you suggest this?
    One of the secrets of alchemists was semi-liquid quartz glass, based on silicate. Also quartz (quercus, oak) seems to allow all Sun rays to go through it unlike common glass. it is also interesting to see on materials usually used for normal glass, a lot of them are good pretenders for various alchemical substances.

The way I describe the word "Mercury" to those seeking comprehension of the texts, is that the word basically means "it". It's an easy way to talk about something without saying exactly what it is, or revealing what Stage of our Matter is being talked about.
    Yes, it's a very general catch-all for the mercuric principles, as is the word "sulphur" for the sulphuric principles and "water" for the moist principles.

One of the secrets of alchemists was semi-liquid quartz glass, based on silicate.
    This is an interesting notion that I believe has little or no Truth to it. Do you have anything that you can reference that backs up this idea?

This is an interesting notion that I believe has little or no Truth to it. Do you have anything that you can reference that backs up this idea?
    All I can say on that matter is that there is some solvent which allows to do it, and that it has some relation (but it isn't equal) to "universal solvent". There is also a "poor" relative of asbestos, but I am a bit afraid to write about it publicly, but I can say that it is also relative to coal. Now what concerns this "relative" IS my speculation, but it looks close to truth and being one of THOSE things. Yet again, without knowledge of operation it is hard to say anything concrete, possible only to speculate. So I don't impose my speculations, and I am saying only what I am 99,9999% certain about (there is always some seed of doubt).

One of the secrets of alchemists was semi-liquid quartz glass, based on silicate. Also quartz (quercus, oak) seems to allow all Sun rays to go through it unlike common glass. it is also interesting to see on materials usually used for normal glass, a lot of them are good pretenders for various alchemical substances.
    "Quartz based on silicate" this phrase makes no sense because quartz is silicate (silicon dioxide). But I think I know what you are talking about, flexible glass, liquefaction of gems and the glowing glass used in churches said to be produced by alchemists. These are things that can be accomplished with the stone apparently however you need the stone first.

All I can say on that matter is that there is some solvent which allows to do it, and that it has some relation (but it isn't equal) to "universal solvent". There is also a "poor" relative of asbestos, but I am a bit afraid to write about it publicly, but I can say that it is also relative to coal. Now what concerns this "relative" IS my speculation, but it looks close to truth and being one of THOSE things. Yet again, without knowledge of operation it is hard to say anything concrete, possible only to speculate. So I don't impose my speculations, and I am saying only what I am 99,9999% certain about (there is always some seed of doubt).
    Mica? I doubt that is the subject matter as well, although it has interesting properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    "Quartz based on silicate" this phrase makes no sense because quartz is silicate (silicon dioxide).
    Forgive me my English, I wanted to say "quartz, which is basically also silicate".

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    Mica? I doubt that is the subject matter as well, although it has interesting properties.
    No, I meant flint.

+ Reply to Thread