Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spagyric Menstruums

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by True Initiate View Post
    So what are you saying is that naptha will extract more plant constituents than alcohol. I agree with this since alcholol is such a weak solvent.
    We don't know if it will extract more. I'm just saying it will extract.

I'm prepared to take in good faith your assertion that these compounds will extract but did they make a useful Spagyric? were they any better than ethanol. There are plenty of texts for Spagyrics were alcohol has been used perhaps there are commonly available Spagyric texts you could cite for this common knowledge you mention. It would be interesting if these substances could act as menstruums for minerals also just as the radical vegetable menstruum mentioned above by true initiate acts on I think copper and iron.

Can you give us a link to this flowchart?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t56nb54o3n...%2038.png?dl=0

Hopefully that will get it from my Dropbox.

The plant matter doesn't seem to get calcinated and salt obtained in this flow diagram.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Axismundi000 View Post
    but did they make a useful Spagyric?
    Hopefully anyone using Naptha understands how harmful it is:
    Hazards

Some forms of this chemical can be dangerous. A few forms can cause cancer, and many of them cause skin irritation, stomach upset and other health problems when people are exposed to them. Naptha also is unstable and flammable, making it important for people to handle it with care. People who inhale or ingest it should see a doctor as soon as possible, and people who have experienced skin contact with it should shower well to reduce the risk of developing skin irritation.
    -source

Ethanol is so common in spagyrics because of its relative safety when consumed appropriately. Most modern 'spagyrists' intend their tinctures to be consumed.

But, if the aim is true spagyrics, and you're just looking for ways to volatilize salts, Naptha might be an interesting choice on account of its instability and flammability.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    I'm prepared to take in good faith your assertion that these compounds will extract but did they make a useful Spagyric?
    I can not tell in any way if they end up in a usefull Spagyric or not neither if they are better than ethanol. I'm not sure if I ever made any usefull Spagyric out of ethanol either.

perhaps there are commonly available Spagyric texts you could cite for this common knowledge you mention.
    I doubt you will find anything in available Spagyrics texts about different than alcohol solvents. On the contrary, chemistry researchers use them often. For example in this publication we can read on page 4 (or 587) about "Petroleum ether, chloroform, Diethyl ether, Ethanol, Acetone". The way they use them is exposed in the next page.

It would be interesting if these substances could act as menstruums for minerals also just as the radical vegetable menstruum mentioned above by true initiate acts on I think copper and iron.
    I doubt any of them would act as "menstruum" for minerals and metals, unfortunatelly.

So when you were mentioning this use of naphtha it was years ago, you forgot to mention it was hazardous and you don't really see much use in it, also it is not common knowledge in Spagyrics but is common knowledge in chemistry and pharmacology? Not a Spagyric menstruum like alcohol it would seem....... thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries
    So when you were mentioning this use of naphtha it was years ago, you forgot to mention it was hazardous and you don't really see much use in it,
    If you intended to drink the naptha, then yes, it would be dangerous, it could poison you as Kiorionis has warned.

also it is not common knowledge in Spagyrics but is common knowledge in chemistry and pharmacology?
    Yes, this is possible.

Not a Spagyric menstruum like alcohol it would seem....... thanks for the tip.
    You missed the point of my questions, definately never intented to give you a tip.
    Last edited by theFool; 08-28-2017 at 12:04 AM.

It would be interesting if these substances could act as menstruums for minerals also just as the radical vegetable menstruum mentioned above by true initiate acts on I think copper and iron.
    There is also radical mineral menstruum for copper and iron. Just saying...
    Formerly known as True Puffer

Perhaps then if you were not intending to 'give me a tip' and you were not suggesting anything useful or practical involving naphtha rather than the normal Spagyric use of alcohol as a menstruum/mercury. Could you clarify what your point was that I have missed? To be frank the fact that you indicate that a point was missed without kindly pointing it out isn't a good sign here. I mean I OP'd about Spagyric menstruums being different to 'our mercury' and that I only ever claim things that I am prepared to show. You on the other hand have shown nothing really useful and you seem to have agreed that the info you have put forward based on pharmacology and chemistry has no Spagyric use. In fact you say you have never made anything useful of a Spagyric nature. So what is the point I have missed here?

There is also radical mineral menstruum for copper and iron. Just saying...
    My first thought looking at this is that it is vinegar and prepared Hungarian antimony ore, not sure its Spagyric though. Do you know what this is a True Initiate?

+ Reply to Thread