Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Spagyric Menstruums

Axis, I know this is an old thread, but to be clear, you've separated the alcohol from the spagyric tincture first (leaving the honey or mucky spagyric sulfur behind) and then distilled just the alcohol to get the milky residue? I'm asking because I'm seeing "clouds" in the alcohol at much later parts of the spagyric processing, so curious if this is just that first alcohol distilled off the tincture or after a few "extra steps."

Yes the alcohol distilled out of the liquid is repeatedly redistilled leaving a milky fluid behind in the retort. Each rectification has less and less of this milky residue left behind. In a basic Spagyric this milky liquid is used in the calcination-leach cycle with the gum you get from evaporating the liquid that you originally got the alcohol out of. Hmmm if your alcohol is distilled to high concentration and then after that going cloudy it could be slowly oxidising from ethanol to ethanal maybe. Do you keep it warm in a flask with a big air space?
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 11-21-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Those are room temp and mixed, but they are in bottles many times the volume of the fluid.

This is interesting. I've been switching to water during the process while working with the gums. Doing so caused a color change on me once, and a change in smell. So many ideas about that part of the process. Gum/tar is a tricky thing to figure out. I haven't been successful at whitening it with only alcohol, and I fear that calcining it too early results in the loss of something important, though I can't say what exactly. There's a rich oil hidden in it, and I keep trying to remove it first before upping the temperature.

+ Reply to Thread