Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Well of Souls, and Spiritus Mundi

If E=mc^2 and light has energy can it be assumed that mc is a constant?

lol I feel we are talking like two people trying to get through the same doorway lol

I shall stand to the right and wait

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    Could it be to do with the distortion of time due to velocity?

Ghislain
    The Maxwell "problem" is what led to relativity. Maxwell had it all figured out, but people thought something was wrong with his equations because of that result. Relativity basically said, "No, Maxwell is right, our perception of the universe is wrong." Poor Maxwell, the guy gets no credit even though he pretty much solved the whole thing. Kinda like Mike Collins on the Apollo 11 craft orbiting while Neil and Buzz got to bounce around in front of a camera.

If E=mc^2 and light has energy can it be assumed that mc is a constant?

lol I feel we are talking like two people trying to get through the same doorway lol

I shall stand to the right and wait

Ghislain
    LOL, I had the same thought while writing my last post. Um, yea, no, not really. E= the maxwell equation, which can be written different ways. BUT, when an atom splits and some mass is lost, the amount of energy created to account for the loss is described by E=mc^2. But there are lots of equations for E. E usually equals 0.5mv^2, and that's more common. I might have my numbers off a bit, I'm drinking.

If light hits a dark non-reflective surface it is absorbed and its energy converted to heat. I am sure photons are released from this heat as I assume that is what a thermal camera detects? What happens to the original photon?

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

I'd have to do some swatting to keep up with you there DT bit too long in the tooth

I get a bit lost when it comes to electron volts

Was that 0.5 millivolts^2 you wrote above?

Ghislain

If light hits a dark non-reflective surface it is absorbed and its energy converted to heat. I am sure photons are released from this heat as I assume that is what a thermal camera detects? What happens to the original photon?

Ghislain
    Think of a photon as just a packet of pure energy, that's pretty much what it is. When it collides with an atom, a lot of things happen in an instant. The energy is absorbed by an electron, but that electron needs certain fixed amounts to move to a different "orbit" as electrons had discrete orbitals at different energy levels. They can't be in between these orbitals. Bohr described them as shells in basic quantum theory. So the electron sucks up all this energy, and releases any "extra" while moving to another shell. Those packets have a lower potential than the original packet. Then the electron sits in the new shell, but it's like a stressful office job compared to it's home shell, so it clocks out and goes home. Since it's going from higher to lower, it dumps the extra energy then as well. Different energy shells are created by different atoms, which gives us only a handful of possible light frequencies emitted. That's how spectroscopy works. You see which colors are coming out when you "excite" the material, and the spectrums are like fingerprints. IE copper when you flash it with a lot of heat burns blue, etc. That's because the spectral colors from copper atoms, when mixed, look blue.

Glass is really weird. Basically, the light hits an atom on the surface, wiggles it, and then that atom transmits the energy to the next one in the lattice, and so on until the light pops out of the other side. That rattled my noodle the first time I thought about it.

I'd have to do some swatting to keep up with you there DT bit too long in the tooth

I get a bit lost when it comes to electron volts

Was that 0.5 millivolts^2 you wrote above?

Ghislain
    1/2 x mass x velocity^2 - the standard energy equation for slow massive things

Ahhh that make more sense now, thanks...I thought i was going to have to swat some more.

I'm inherently lazy

So even though a photon is described as an energy carrier, there isn't a photon without the energy...Is that correct?

I think this rabbit hole is a little too deep for me lol

Ghislain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Seems to be the case...
    Specifically, there is an auto-feedback mechanisum in place, which through the correct kinds of circulation, produce the effects of which your speaking (IMO)

SM needs Body and Body needs SM = Effect

Circulation between two oppisames = Cause
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

elixirmixer, was that reply to me?

Ghislain

+ Reply to Thread