Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Mercury Principle?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    As far as i know, trees produce methanol, not ethanol.
    Are you sure about this? Wood is difficult to ferment. Even then it produces ethanol because of it having lots of glucose. Methanol is produced only by the dry distillation of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by theFool View Post
    Are you sure about this? Wood is difficult to ferment. Even then it produces ethanol because of it having lots of glucose. Methanol is produced only by the dry distillation of wood.
    Both are produced in fermentation of anything, but much less methanol appears in wine and beer. It's the main cause of hangover the next day. When distilled, methanol is usually separated out, as it concentrates in the distillation just like alcohol, and any other -ols. But you are definitely right that the dry-distillation actually "creates" it... somehow. I guess we just aren't as good at transforming plant matter as yeast is.

We tend to stray away from using it for a solvent, I think in part, due to it's "toxicity," but toxicity depends on dosage, so I wouldn't fear a product that was solved in methanol, as long as I'm not taking the stuff straight. Maybe if such a tincture were dried and "washed" in another solvent. Tincture dose sizes are usually in drops anyway. When I get up my nerve, I may prepare some of this distillation product in my lab, explicitly for such a purpose. Hollandus and many others ellude to it in their alchemy works.

+ Reply to Thread