Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Washington Irving

Blog Entries

Washington Irving

Pretty impressive that the same guy who created the modern culture of Christmas/Santa Claus, is the same guy who also created the modern culture of Columbus discovering America and proving the world was round.

AND also the one who can be blamed for the name Gotham City.

Now that is a visionary author. Too bad humans are so stupid that they think his fiction was fact. I wonder if we will pray to Harry Potter in 100 years?

sources

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Probably in 100 years, all people will live in sleepy hollow!

One of my "fetishes" is the visionaries, but in a different sense of the word (Blake, Coleridge, Dee, Swedenborg, etc).
    In this sense I like the works by Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)... She created some books with illustrations and NONE of her originals exists, but a few identical versions made by copyist exist (with minor differences in the drawings... some of them are weird, like a drawing that includes fire in a copy, but water in a different copy). HOWEVER his books contain many drawings of the Earth, seen from her obviously mystical perspective... in ALL cases her representations of the Earth are ROUND.

Even if Hildegard was somehow "weird" (to say the least), her "visionary" ideas when it comes to Cosmology are not incredibly different to the standards of her age. So that's a somehow typical representation of the earth in medieval times.

So you are right. I didn't know about Santa and how he was introduced into the celebration of Christmas.

+ Reply to Thread