Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coffee Percolator for extracting Essential Oils - Will it work?

Coffee Percolator for extracting Essential Oils - Will it work?

As some of you know, i have left my elixir of Rosemary unfinished. I was just about to make some distilled water when i realised that the condenser i have is not fit for inclined horizontal distillation (its the condenser with the glass spiral). So i placed an order for a linear one. And as i was now reading on the history of coffee, it struck me. My father uses a coffee percolator for his beverage. Would it work if instead of coffee, i fill the filter area with ground rosemary and use distilled water, to draw the oils out into a cup diped in icewater? (instead of distilling the plants with clean water)

Has anyone tried that?

If it as possible to find a glass espresso you could the pour off the liquid into a separatory funnel after. I think the normal steel espresso is worth a try to see what the quality is like. The standard way to clean an espresso machine is to put cheap coffee through it so it can be used subsequent for coffee as normal I reckon.

Blog Entries
    Im not exactly sure how your perculator works; however; in my experience, it taks quite a lot of 'condensing' in order to get a proper yield and a high quality oil. Reason being is that a large portion of your essential oils are 'aromatic' which are somewhat resistant to condensing. If you try this out; the key is watch for steam. Steam = poor yeild = poor quality.

The reason that poor yeild = poor quality is because the aromatics which are hardest to condense are also the highest quality part of your essential oil, they are the most medicinal, and are the most capable of doing anything worth while to your Salts.

Keep on going mate; rosemary elixirs are very useful, i cured myself of the flu three times with a completely failed spagyric plant stone process. totally stuffed it; yet powerful all the same.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

You are right about the steam problem Elixirmixer. So with an espresso machine you would keep the lid open and then when the liquid boils up through you would need to quickly control the heat to reduce steam and slow the filing of the top compartment. Making coffee you just let it boil and when you hear the gurgle and see the steam it is ready. So this could work but you would have to be very skilled and deft with it.

This is not a Coffee Percolator but with this apparatus
    you will not loose any essentials.

Some years ago I put in a link about the Clevenger apparatus
    for essential oil distillations.
    You can find it on the fist page in the thread:

Essential oils without a chromatography reservoir...

You can also cool the liquid going through your condenser and
    this way catch all the essential oils and highly volatile aromatics.

I have run some condensers in the minus degrees centigrade.

Blog Entries
    Yes Mr. Black this is the perfect set-up for oils.

I dont actually own one... hmmmmm.....
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

+ Reply to Thread