Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: The Alchemical Fire

I dont know if it was discussed in some other thread,but its necessary a further step above and beyond the Tabula Smaragdina. In fact, Hermes ends his writing at the achievement of Mercurius Philosophorum. That’s to say at the end of the first preparatory work,but doesn’t mention the following steps and works with colors transmutation.

Alchemists acknowledge more then one type of fire so the question what is fire cannot be answered with one answer.

To me there are three types of fire used in Alchemy.

1, The fire of the Athanor used to cook the subject.
    2, The mineral or corrosive fire used to dissolve the subject.
    3, The sulphuric or inner fire (the central Sun) which slumbers within the subject but is awakened by the application of the outer fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    Alchemists acknowledge more then one type of fire so the question what is fire cannot be answered with one answer.

To me there are three types of fire used in Alchemy.

1, The fire of the Athanor used to cook the subject.
    2, The mineral or corrosive fire used to dissolve the subject.
    3, The sulphuric or inner fire (the central Sun) which slumbers within the subject but is awakened by the application of the outer fire.
    According to the alchemists of the "Llulian" school, there was yet another kind of "fire": the "fire against nature" (i.e. the common corrosives, like aqua fortis, spirit of salt, oil of vitriol, etc..) These "fires" (i.e. acids) were often used for reducing some metals into fine calxes, so that they would have more surface area exposed (or "opened", as they said back in those times) to the action of the secret solvent (for pretty clear explanations regarding these techniques developed in the late Middle Ages, interested readers should consult works like the "Scala Philosophorum" of Guido de Montanor and "The Pisces of the Lower Zodiac, or the Philosophical Solution" of Lucas Rodargirus.)

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    According to the alchemists of the "Llulian" school, there was yet another kind of "fire": the "fire against nature" (i.e. the common corrosives, like aqua fortis, spirit of salt, oil of vitriol, etc..) These "fires" (i.e. acids) were often used for reducing some metals into fine calxes, so that they would have more surface area exposed (or "opened", as they said back in those times) to the action of the secret solvent (for pretty clear explanations regarding these techniques developed in the late Middle Ages, interested readers should consult works like the "Scala Philosophorum" of Guido de Montanor and "The Pisces of the Lower Zodiac, or the Philosophical Solution" of Lucas Rodargirus.)
    That is what I meant in the 2nd fire I listed i.e. the mineral/corrosive fire...the fire of the AZOTH

There where other "fires" known to alchemists but not employed in the grate work for example subterranean and celestial fire which many thought was active in the formation of metals in the Earth.

That is what I meant in the 2nd fire I listed i.e. the mineral/corrosive fire...the fire of the AZOTH
    When you said that, I thought you were referring to the secret solvent, not to common corrosives like aqua fortis, oil of vitriol, etc. Dissolving metals/minerals with such corrosives is very useful and needed in many "chymical" processes, but they will not generate the Stone. The most you can get with such methods are some "direct" transmutations. In alchemy (properly; meaning the making of the Stone) common corrosives are only used as "aid" to obtain some byproducts used in the methods of some alchemists (most notably the followers of the alchemical works attributed to Ramon Llull.) But these useful byproducts are not enough by themselves. The secret solvent (which the Lullian alchemists often call by such decknamen as "Lunaria", "Vegetable Mercury", "Spirit of Wine", etc.) is still required.
    Last edited by JDP; 11-26-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    When you said that, I thought you were referring to the secret solvent, not to common corrosives like aqua fortis, oil of vitriol, etc. Dissolving metals/minerals with such corrosives is very useful and needed in many "chymical" processes, but they will not generate the Stone. The most you can get with such methods are some "direct" transmutations. In alchemy (properly; meaning the making of the Stone) common corrosives are only used as "aid" to obtain some byproducts used in the methods of some alchemists (most notably the followers of the alchemical works attributed to Ramon Llull.) But these useful byproducts are not enough by themselves. The secret solvent (which the Lullian alchemists often call by such decknamen as "Lunaria", "Vegetable Mercury", "Spirit of Wine", etc.) is still required.
    Indeed, whenever alchemists say our vinegar, our Antimony, our sharp spirit, our lye you have to wonder what is the difference between his this and that and your this and that.

Indeed, whenever alchemists say our vinegar, our Antimony, our sharp spirit, our lye you have to wonder what is the difference between his this and that and your this and that.
    And even when you are able to identify the true subjects, you will have to work them to feed their inner fire, so that they can shine with their own light.

+ Reply to Thread