Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emergency juryrig

Emergency juryrig

Here is my latest emergency juryrig because one of my pumps got broken so I ran both condensers from a leaky backup.

Do you have any juryrigs?

My equipment is very humble. I plugged a fish-pump and connected a hose to the overflow. It rests in a bucket on the workbench. Obviously I'm not doing any super long or high temp distillations anytime soon. Oh, and also a $20 cooker and a pot filled with salt for a sand bath, lol. Most of my distillations can be done so slowly that they don't need a condenser, so it works out. My "water magnet" experiments require faster boiling, but only take a couple of hours, so the bucket reservoir is big enough to keep the condenser cool. Otherwise I just dump some ice in the bucket while things are happening.

Your setup, jury rigged or not, is awesome. Do you find a distillation train to work well enough with double jointed flasks, or do you have special joints to set them up as traps?

I also use a basic fish tank pump with a bucket of water higher than the condenser, it broke. I’m not sure I know what you mean about the joints. They are 24/40 push to fit, I use metal keck clamps at the hot end of the train and beeswax painted on the joints at the cooler end which I read about. Teflon sleeves are expensive but I recommend them for the hot joints. You will find that you gradually build up bits and pieces over time but on the other hand there is the traditionalist approach sticking to alembics, retorts. Those are more expensive especially alembics, perhaps I will get some eventually.

I was referring to how you had traps set up if any. I've seen 24/40 fittings that can drip into a test tube or flask to bubble gasses through a liquid trap. That second condenser looks like it'll make a decent trap on its own.

I also have 24/40 glassware, but all my flasks are single neck. It seemed like what I needed at the time. I think I will go kit again on my next purchase (at some undisclosed time when money is flowing in again), just because it's so much for not too spendy. If I decide to swap to dry distillation, I'll have to get some better boiling flasks.

I've also seen lots of times when a simple retort would just work better, so that's on my shopping list as well. Since I'll use it for low temp stuff it won't have to be super quality. Whatever is on sale that week should do fine, as long as it's 500mL or more

I get you. I was testing if I could vacuum distil water out of vinegar without a cold trap by having the second condenser refractory (tilting upwards). So the two socket recieving flask would have water from the boiling flask and the run back from the 2nd condenser. At 80 centigrade I was getting water in the central flask with partial pressure about 0.4 of atmospheric pressure. I suppose I could have waited until replacement kit arrives but I was itching to test this. The idea is that if I can achieve vacuum distillation of water without a cold trap then I should have a good chance of obtaining more volatile liquids which have a lower boiling point when I use a cold trap as well. It worked. The design is in principle the same as the diagrams pp168-169 of Bartlett’s the way of the crucible which come from French’s Art of Distillation. It looks more Alchemical than Spagyric to me��. So obviously not my design I’m just adapting it to work with the kit I have available.
    Last edited by Axismundi000; 11-20-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added reference.

I would love to see other people’s emergency juryrigs, you can learn a lot from adaptations people come up with when equipment is temporarily unavailable.

Well I don't have a picture, but I was doing some refluxing and I don't really have the kit for it (my reflux condenser fits on my soxhlet but doesn't match my 24/40 gear directly), so I put the spiny fractioning column, mounted a regular condenser on top of it, and then put the whole soxhlet aparatus above, with a tiny inverted flask over the top opening. lol. Good 4 feet of glass there, and all of it on top of a cheap 15$ burner plate and a pot with salt in it. I'm sure you can picture this in your head. :P
    Last edited by Dragon's Tail; 11-20-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: wrong component name

That’s a lot of reflux. Do you run it for long periods or just for a day or so?

It was just for a day. Crazy ideas that popped in my head. I don't think that my experiments are quite ready for coagulation yet.

+ Reply to Thread