Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ordering some new glass :D

Ordering some new glass :D

I busted my claisen adapter, which is weird because I rarely ever use it for anything. Decided to look up some new glass tonight. I'm getting another cheap one that is 3 in 1 with a 45deg for one of them. Then of course, some other stuff that's been on my wish list. Some flat-bottom smaller flasks for what I call "transition liquids," i.e. separated crap for current experiments.

I've been meaning to get a 2 mouth flask for a while, so I put one in my cart, and got a 75deg elbow and a straight tube, effectively turning it into a retort, and to my surprise cheaper than buying a retort. I figure these pieces will come in handy. Got a backup 1L boiler on the way too from LaBoy, so we'll see if their glass is as good as everyone says. Has to be better than my other chinese kit, right? I also got a straight thru take-off adapter just because that 105 bend is f-ing anoying sometimes, and more stoppers.

Early x-mas present I guess. Will stumble about the lab in the morning and see if there's anything else that strikes me as a need. I'd like a nice reflux condenser, but that would easily tac on another 40$ and I can improvise with what I have.

The cool thing is the retort setup. A 75deg elbow has been on my list for a while and I'm finally ordering it. Maybe I should get 2, just in case

And on a side note, I'm going to stop "shaking" my lab gear dry after cleaning. Spots can be erased with distilled water. I also noticed what might be a crack in my current 500ml bottle, so that might be on the list soon as well. Maybe I'll toss one one the order.

Wondering what sizes of glassware you guys use. Seems like everyone uses more materials than I do. I've never "needed" more than a 1Liter flask yet.

I think getting two of any lab glass is a good idea. Good quality boiling flasks are not always easy to find. I get my 1ltre boiling flasks from united glass technologies in the USA they are better than I have found elsewhere. Online a lot of cheaper stuff from China serves well enough but the boiling flask needs to be the best possible. Plant work can easily use 2 or even 4 litre boiling flasks to reduce the number of times you distil. Personally I have given up on retorts I used to get through them like popcorn. You are absolutely right to only get what you know you definitely need. There is a danger of obsessive compulsive purchasing rather like the stereotypical view of women and shoe purchasing, personaly I think there is a danger of becoming in the context of lab glass how Imelda Marcos was with shoes. The spiritual aspiration of Alchemy producing compulsive purchasing of all kinds of glassware.

Just thought I would mention amazon is doing a cyber Monday bargain thing donít know if it applies to lab glass.

Prolly not, but I left it in my cart till today just in case Gave me extra time to consider what else I might need, too.

Do any of you guys ever get glass blown to order, if so had you found anyone who does this at a competitive price?

Blog Entries
    I've researched a few places to get quotes, but haven't made any decisions yet. It's a pretty niche market in my region with few scientific glass-blowers around, so don't expect it to be too competitive in price.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    I've researched a few places to get quotes, but haven't made any decisions yet. It's a pretty niche market in my region with few scientific glass-blowers around, so don't expect it to be too competitive in price.
    A few years ago I got some items blown and it was very expensive. I am looking to get a few cucurbits made but guess its niche as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    A few years ago I got some items blown and it was very expensive. I am looking to get a few cucurbits made but guess its niche as you said.
    I wonder if a normal glass blower could make the vessel shapes that you are after at a cheap price, and simply "weld" some bushings on it to make it match up with the other glassware. Probably wouldn't work, but if you can attach a bushing that exits with a 24/40, say, then just have them make everything else to your specs and tak it on? It would probably have to be scratched again, but it might be doable without deforming the mounting glass. Or even having them break up something like a claisen adapter to make the connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    I wonder if a normal glass blower could make the vessel shapes that you are after at a cheap price, and simply "weld" some bushings on it to make it match up with the other glassware. Probably wouldn't work, but if you can attach a bushing that exits with a 24/40, say, then just have them make everything else to your specs and tak it on? It would probably have to be scratched again, but it might be doable without deforming the mounting glass. Or even having them break up something like a claisen adapter to make the connections.
    I want to have it made so one neck of one globe slides perfectly into the other to form an 8. In the old days they would lute the neck of the two globes together with resin but its messy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    I want to have it made so one neck of one globe slides perfectly into the other to form an 8. In the old days they would lute the neck of the two globes together with resin but its messy.
    I've done this in the past with a (short) adapter tube, male-male joints. Easy workaround.

+ Reply to Thread