Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ordering some new glass :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    I wonder if a normal glass blower could make the vessel shapes that you are after at a cheap price, and simply "weld" some bushings on it to make it match up with the other glassware.
    I asked a few regular glassblowers a similar question, most of them replied that borosilicate and scientific glassblowing required specialized tools and machinery which they did not have.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    I've done this in the past with a (short) adapter tube, male-male joints. Easy workaround.
    I was thinking of something similar. M-M adapter between flasks, or a chromatography reservoir if you need another take-off at the top. You could also theoretically come up with some interesting designs by plugging the vacuum hole on a cow adapter.

Kiorionis - sounds like you have investigated the topic of specialized glass pretty well. I know boro has a higher annealing point, but maybe there's something else about working it that I'm unaware of. There's a lab glass company not far from me. Maybe if I get bored I can go intern with them for a month or something and annoy them with questions while learning a little about the process.

I ordered my kit. Claim is that the new glass will arrive sometime in December. Lego-style labware has drawbacks, but I kind of like the idea that I'll be able to turn any flask into a simple retort soon. 2-necks obviously work better because you can drop the elbow in at a gentler angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    I've done this in the past with a (short) adapter tube, male-male joints. Easy workaround.
    Sounds like an option!

When I was searching for glass cucurbits images of weed bongs kept popping up so there is an option, find someone who makes glass weed bongs!

So, I got my flasks. I ordered parts from two different distributers, so my 75deg necks aren't here yet. I just wanted to say something about Laboy glass.

My previous kit pieces were form a random Chinese company, and I really didn't have anything to compare to. But the 3mm Laboy glass is much thicker, and the flasks are noticeably heavier. They feel like they will take a good bit of abuse, but I suppose time will tell. They seem well made, and they aren't much more expensive than the thinner glass from the other company (Whom I believe uses Chemglass products, but not 100% sure, the company was Nanshin). An $8 flask size/type is about $10 for instance. Small price to pay for much heavier glassware.

I've heard that thicker glass can have some more problems on the heating/cooling front, but I'm not doing dry distillation yet so I don't think the thermals will bother me. Again, time will tell, but the stuff *appears* to be well made for the moment. My stoppers fit nice and tight in the 24/40 connections too. Good, solid fit. Just FYI. I'll post a pic of my new "retort" once I get the elbows

Lego Retorts is what I'm calling them, hehe.

hehe. Also, a normal distillation head will work. I'm hoping the bent piping will help facilitate easier steam flow to where I want it though.

+ Reply to Thread