Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scythe and Legs

Scythe and Legs

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has an interpretation of the symbol of the scythe that is held in a way so that it leads between the legs or crosses one in some way like in the following images:

I know the common interpretations of the scythe concerning alchemy, saturn, chronos, lead, putrefaction, etc. but the scythe - leg/foot combination appears so often that I guess there might be a significant connection I kno nothing about yet.

Thanks for your help!

Seems like just a coincidence or convention. The scythe is usually pointing towards the floor but is not exactly in the same position in the different depictions.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Seems like just a coincidence or convention. The scythe is usually pointing towards the floor but is not exactly in the same position in the different depictions.
    Maybe there is more than a coincidence. Basilius' persons seem to have a wooden leg but it looks like a fake one. Especially in the first picture. In the tarot notice the different color of the leg crossing the scythe.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Maybe there is more than a coincidence. Basilius' persons seem to have a wooden leg but it looks like a fake one. Especially in the first picture. In the tarot notice the different color of the leg crossing the scythe.
    The tarot depiction seems to be showing an artificial limb, trying to mimic the real one. Saturn and Vulcan were often portrayed as "lame".

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The tarot depiction seems to be showing an artificial limb, trying to mimic the real one. Saturn and Vulcan were often portrayed as "lame".
    That's a possibility. Thanks!

Might help

He seemed to my small judgment, to be the God Mercury of the Pagans: against him there came running and flying with open wings, a great old man, who upon his head had an hour-glass fastened, and in his hand a hook (or scythe) like Death, with the which, in terrible and furious manner, he would have cut off the feet of Mercury.
    , which was the white and heavy water, which without doubt was Argent Vive, which they could not fix, nor cut off his feet, that is to say, take away his volatility
    - The Explication of the Hieroglyphic Figures.
    http://www.levity.com/alchemy/flam_h0.html

Interesting!
    Thank you, Kibric!

+ Reply to Thread