Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: One, Two, Three

Luxus, have you much experience or knowledge of the tetractys?

The tetractys goes way back to the Pythagorean era and is rich with symbolism that we can learn from regarding our Art.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And on the topic of One, Two, Three...

"The New Chemical Light" by Michael Sendivogius, 1674

The Artist only separates what is subtle from its grosser elements, and puts it into the proper "vessel." Nature does the rest. As a thing begins, so it ends. Out of one arise two, and out of two one -- as of God the Father there was begotten God the Son, and from the two proceeded God the Holy Ghost. Thus was the world made, and so also shall it end. Consider carefully these few points, and you will find, firstly the Father, then the Father and the Son, lastly, the Holy Spirit. You will find the four elements, the four luminaries, the two celestials, the two centrics. In a word there is nothing, has been, and shall be nothing in the World which is otherwise than it appears in this symbol, and a volume might be filled with its mysteries. I say, therefore, it is the attribute of God alone to make one out of one, you must produce one thing out of two by natural generation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    Luxus, have you much experience or knowledge of the tetractys?

The tetractys goes way back to the Pythagorean era and is rich with symbolism that we can learn from regarding our Art.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And on the topic of One, Two, Three...
    I say, therefore, it is the attribute of God alone to make one out of one, you must produce one thing out of two by natural generation.

Ooooops, there goes the "one matter only" idea down the drain again! Plus also from the same author:

Concealed under a rock, Neptune shewed me two minerals of that island, gold and chalybs (steel). Then I was conducted to an orchard in the middle of a meadow, which was at no great distance, the same being planted with a great variety of beautiful trees. Among these he shewed me seven enriched by particular names; and two of them towered above the rest. One bore fruit which shone like the sun, and its leaves resembled gold; the fruit of the other was whiter than lilies, and its leaves were like fine silver. Neptune called the first the Solar, and the second he Lunar tree. The only thing which it was difficult to obtain in the island, was water. The inhabitants had tried to get it from a spring by means of a conduit, and to elicit it from many things But the result was a poisonous water, and the only water that could be drunk was that condensed out of the rays of the sun and moon. The worst of it was, that no one could attract more than ten parts of this water. It was wonderful water! I can tell vou; for I saw with my eyes and touched with my hands its dazzling whiteness, which surpassed all the splendour of the now. While I stood wrapt in admiration, Neptune vanished from my sight, and there stood before me a tall man, on whose forehead the name of Saturn was inscribed. He took a vessel, and scooped up ten parts of the water, in which he placed fruit from the Solar tree; and the fruit was consumed like ice in warm water. So I said unto him: "Lord, I behold here a marvellous thing. This water is small in quantity; nevertheless, the fruit of this tree is consumed therein by a gentle heat. To what purpose is all this? "He graciously replied " My son, it is true that this thing is wonderful. But this water is the water of life, and has such power to exalt the qualities of this fruit, that it shall afterwards, without sowing or planting -- only by its fragrance -- transmute the six trees which remain into its own nature. Moreover, this water is as a woman to the fruit: the fruits of this tree can putrefy nowhere but in this water; and though the fruit by itself be wonderful and precious -- yet when it putrefies in this water, it brings forth out of this putrefaction a Salamander that endures the fire; its blood is more precious than all treasures, and has power to render fertile ix trees such as you see here, and to make their fruit sweeter than honey" Then I said unto him: "Lord, how is this thing done?" He replied: "I have already told thee that the fruits of the Solar tree are living, and they are sweet; but whereas the fruit while it is cooked in this water can inform but one part, after its coction has been completed it can inform a thousand." I then enquired whether the fruit was boiled in this water over a fierce fire, and how long? He answered this water has an inward fire, and when this is assisted by continuous outward warmth, it burns up three parts of its own body with this body of the fruit, until nothing but an incredibly small part remains, which, however, possesses the most marvellous virtue. This is cooked by the wise Master first for seven months, and then for ten. But in the meantime, on each fiftieth day, a variety of phenomena is witnessed." Again I besought him whether this fruit was cooked in several waters and whether anything was added to it. He made answer: "There is no water, either in this island or in the whole country but only this kind alone that can properly penetrate the pores of this fruit; and you should know the Solar tree also grew out of this water, which is collected by magnetic attraction out of the rays of the Sun and Moon. Hence the fruit and the water exhibit a wonderful sympathy and correspondence. If any foreign substance were added to the water, its virtue would only be impaired. Hence nothing should be put into the water but this fruit. After its decoction the fruit has life and blood, and its blood causes all barren trees to bring forth the same precious fruit." I asked whether the water was obtained by any secret process, or whether it was to be obtained everywhere? He said: "It is found everywhere, and no one can live without it, but it is best when extracted by means of our Chalybs (steel), as which is found in the belly of the Ram. If you ask what is its use, I answer that before the due amount of coction has been performed, it is deadly poison, but afterwards it is the Great Medicine, and yields 29 grains of blood, each one of which produces 864 of the fruits of the Solar tree.

Oooooops! Same author again:

For this reason I repeat that it is important to know the mutual correspondence of metals, and their possibilities of union. There is one metal which has power to consume all others, for it is, so to speak, their water, and almost their mother, and is resisted only by the radical humour of gold and silver, and ameliorated by it. This metal is called Chalybs (steel). If gold is united to it eleven times, and emits its seed, it is weakened even unto death; but the Chalybs (steel) conceives and brings forth a son much nobler than the father; and when the seed of the son is placed in her womb it purifies it, and renders it a thousand times better fitted to produce excellent fruit. There is another Chalybs (steel) which is like this one, and created as a thing by itself by Nature this steel is able, with its wonderful virtue, to elicit from the rays of the " sun " that which so many have sought, and which is the chief principle of our Art.

Oooops! And the same author yet again:

Our discourse in preceding chapters has been enlarged by appropriate examples which well facilitate the understanding of the practice, which, in accordance with natural procedure, must be performed as follows: take eleven grains of our earth, by as many doses, one grain of our gold, and two grains of our silver. Here you should carefully bear in mind that common gold and silver are of no use for our purpose, as they are dead. Those which I ask you to take are the living metals. Expose them to the heat of our fire, and there will come out of them a dry liquid. The earth will first be dissolved into a water which is called Mercury of the Sages, and this water will dissolve the bodies of the gold and silver, and consume them, till only the tenth part with one part remains, which is the radical metallic humour. Then take the water of saltpetre from our earth, in which is a living river and a flowing wave. Let this water be clear, and pour on it the radical humour: expose the whole to the fire of putrefaction and generation, which is not the same as that of the first operation. Regulate the heat judiciously, until there appear colours like those of the Peacock's Tail, and then continue to apply this well-regulated heat until the colours resolve themselves into a pronounced green. Be not weary but continue till the rest of the colours have manifested.

Oooops! And AGAIN!:

Then Saturn said to him, observe well what I do, and learn. He took two Argents-Vive of a different substance, but of the same root, which Saturn washed in his own urine, and denominated them the Sulphurs of Sulphurs: then he mixed the fixed with the volatile; and having made a Composition thereof, he put them into a proper vessel; and lest the Sulphur should make his escape, he set a guard over him, after which he put him thus, into a bath of a very slow fire, as the matter required, and so finished his work mighty well. They made then the Stone of the Philosophers, because that of a good matter, a good thing is produced.

Ooooops! 2 "Argent-Vives (obvious decknamen to hide what substances are actually being used) of a DIFFERENT SUBSTANCE but of the same (mineral/metallic) root" + 1 "Urine of Saturn" (another obvious deckname, this time to hide the secret solvent) = at least 3 separate substances being employed in these operations, not "one only". Bye-bye again, "one matter only" ruse.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I say, therefore, it is the attribute of God alone to make one out of one, you must produce one thing out of two by natural generation.

Ooooops, there goes the "one matter only" idea down the drain again! Plus also from the same author:

Concealed under a rock, Neptune shewed me two minerals of that island, gold and chalybs (steel). Then I was conducted to an orchard in the middle of a meadow, which was at no great distance, the same being planted with a great variety of beautiful trees. Among these he shewed me seven enriched by particular names; and two of them towered above the rest. One bore fruit which shone like the sun, and its leaves resembled gold; the fruit of the other was whiter than lilies, and its leaves were like fine silver. Neptune called the first the Solar, and the second he Lunar tree. The only thing which it was difficult to obtain in the island, was water. The inhabitants had tried to get it from a spring by means of a conduit, and to elicit it from many things But the result was a poisonous water, and the only water that could be drunk was that condensed out of the rays of the sun and moon. The worst of it was, that no one could attract more than ten parts of this water. It was wonderful water! I can tell vou; for I saw with my eyes and touched with my hands its dazzling whiteness, which surpassed all the splendour of the now. While I stood wrapt in admiration, Neptune vanished from my sight, and there stood before me a tall man, on whose forehead the name of Saturn was inscribed. He took a vessel, and scooped up ten parts of the water, in which he placed fruit from the Solar tree; and the fruit was consumed like ice in warm water. So I said unto him: "Lord, I behold here a marvellous thing. This water is small in quantity; nevertheless, the fruit of this tree is consumed therein by a gentle heat. To what purpose is all this? "He graciously replied " My son, it is true that this thing is wonderful. But this water is the water of life, and has such power to exalt the qualities of this fruit, that it shall afterwards, without sowing or planting -- only by its fragrance -- transmute the six trees which remain into its own nature. Moreover, this water is as a woman to the fruit: the fruits of this tree can putrefy nowhere but in this water; and though the fruit by itself be wonderful and precious -- yet when it putrefies in this water, it brings forth out of this putrefaction a Salamander that endures the fire; its blood is more precious than all treasures, and has power to render fertile ix trees such as you see here, and to make their fruit sweeter than honey" Then I said unto him: "Lord, how is this thing done?" He replied: "I have already told thee that the fruits of the Solar tree are living, and they are sweet; but whereas the fruit while it is cooked in this water can inform but one part, after its coction has been completed it can inform a thousand." I then enquired whether the fruit was boiled in this water over a fierce fire, and how long? He answered this water has an inward fire, and when this is assisted by continuous outward warmth, it burns up three parts of its own body with this body of the fruit, until nothing but an incredibly small part remains, which, however, possesses the most marvellous virtue. This is cooked by the wise Master first for seven months, and then for ten. But in the meantime, on each fiftieth day, a variety of phenomena is witnessed." Again I besought him whether this fruit was cooked in several waters and whether anything was added to it. He made answer: "There is no water, either in this island or in the whole country but only this kind alone that can properly penetrate the pores of this fruit; and you should know the Solar tree also grew out of this water, which is collected by magnetic attraction out of the rays of the Sun and Moon. Hence the fruit and the water exhibit a wonderful sympathy and correspondence. If any foreign substance were added to the water, its virtue would only be impaired. Hence nothing should be put into the water but this fruit. After its decoction the fruit has life and blood, and its blood causes all barren trees to bring forth the same precious fruit." I asked whether the water was obtained by any secret process, or whether it was to be obtained everywhere? He said: "It is found everywhere, and no one can live without it, but it is best when extracted by means of our Chalybs (steel), as which is found in the belly of the Ram. If you ask what is its use, I answer that before the due amount of coction has been performed, it is deadly poison, but afterwards it is the Great Medicine, and yields 29 grains of blood, each one of which produces 864 of the fruits of the Solar tree.

Oooooops! Same author again:

For this reason I repeat that it is important to know the mutual correspondence of metals, and their possibilities of union. There is one metal which has power to consume all others, for it is, so to speak, their water, and almost their mother, and is resisted only by the radical humour of gold and silver, and ameliorated by it. This metal is called Chalybs (steel). If gold is united to it eleven times, and emits its seed, it is weakened even unto death; but the Chalybs (steel) conceives and brings forth a son much nobler than the father; and when the seed of the son is placed in her womb it purifies it, and renders it a thousand times better fitted to produce excellent fruit. There is another Chalybs (steel) which is like this one, and created as a thing by itself by Nature this steel is able, with its wonderful virtue, to elicit from the rays of the " sun " that which so many have sought, and which is the chief principle of our Art.

Oooops! And the same author yet again:

Our discourse in preceding chapters has been enlarged by appropriate examples which well facilitate the understanding of the practice, which, in accordance with natural procedure, must be performed as follows: take eleven grains of our earth, by as many doses, one grain of our gold, and two grains of our silver. Here you should carefully bear in mind that common gold and silver are of no use for our purpose, as they are dead. Those which I ask you to take are the living metals. Expose them to the heat of our fire, and there will come out of them a dry liquid. The earth will first be dissolved into a water which is called Mercury of the Sages, and this water will dissolve the bodies of the gold and silver, and consume them, till only the tenth part with one part remains, which is the radical metallic humour. Then take the water of saltpetre from our earth, in which is a living river and a flowing wave. Let this water be clear, and pour on it the radical humour: expose the whole to the fire of putrefaction and generation, which is not the same as that of the first operation. Regulate the heat judiciously, until there appear colours like those of the Peacock's Tail, and then continue to apply this well-regulated heat until the colours resolve themselves into a pronounced green. Be not weary but continue till the rest of the colours have manifested.

Oooops! And AGAIN!:

Then Saturn said to him, observe well what I do, and learn. He took two Argents-Vive of a different substance, but of the same root, which Saturn washed in his own urine, and denominated them the Sulphurs of Sulphurs: then he mixed the fixed with the volatile; and having made a Composition thereof, he put them into a proper vessel; and lest the Sulphur should make his escape, he set a guard over him, after which he put him thus, into a bath of a very slow fire, as the matter required, and so finished his work mighty well. They made then the Stone of the Philosophers, because that of a good matter, a good thing is produced.

Ooooops! 2 "Argent-Vives (obvious decknamen to hide what substances are actually being used) of a DIFFERENT SUBSTANCE but of the same (mineral/metallic) root" + 1 "Urine of Saturn" (another obvious deckname, this time to hide the secret solvent) = at least 3 separate substances being employed in these operations, not "one only". Bye-bye again, "one matter only" ruse.
    Annoying, funny and a smart ass. I think Andro would add pain in the ass... Mods, just making a random comment. Not directed at anyone

its almost like theres something more behind this crusade against one matter

I asked whether the water was obtained by any secret process, or whether it was to be obtained everywhere? He said:"It is found everywhere, and no one can live without it,
    well that narrows it down...

He took two Argents-Vive of a different substance, but of the same root, which Saturn washed in his own urine, and denominated them the Sulphurs of Sulphurs: then he mixed the fixed with the volatile; and having made a Composition thereof,
    same root ? different substances. one active ingredient ?
    we know nature rejoices in nature
    a composition from two different substances which have the same root ( active ingredient ?)
    would have to be based on what element they both had in common

it is said to be available too rich and poor alike
    so maybe this root or active ingredient is present in a wide number of substances and forms
    if it is so easily overlooked it might have a variety of mundane forms
    Last edited by Kibric; 02-24-2018 at 04:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    There’s a good example in Qabala, where salt and dyes are set on a table. Water is poured out and moves into each. The example goes that it’s not the water which changes the characteristics of the salt and dyes, but the salt and dyes change the characteristics of the water.

The example is supposed to show that One thing can become many through mediation and adaption.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibric View Post
    its almost like theres something more behind this crusade against one matter

well that narrows it down...
    Not really... There's many things that people can't live without: water, air, salt, oils/fats, iron, blood... and those are some of the real ones, because then there's the ones that are just the product of the imagination of such writers, like the "four elements", or the "three principles", which can also be used as a pretext to befuddle readers with such strange and hardly very believable statements about the "matter" of the Stone supposedly being found "everywhere".

same root ? different substances. one active ingredient ?
    we know nature rejoices in nature
    a composition from two different substances which have the same root ( active ingredient ?)
    would have to be based on what element they both had in common

it is said to be available too rich and poor alike
    so maybe this root or active ingredient is present in a wide number of substances and forms
    if it is so easily overlooked it might have a variety of mundane forms
    Having the same "root" just means something with a common origin, like, for example, saying that lead and iron are two different metals, but both come from the mineral/metallic "root".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    I think Andro would add pain in the ass..
    No, he wouldn't. Why would he? He can't be bothered with such wasteful sentiments.

On topic:
    'One root" doesn't necessarily mean "metallic/mineral". This is only JDP's interpretation and perspective. Not saying it's invalid, just saying it's one possibility among others.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Having the same "root" just means something with a common origin, like, for example, saying that lead and iron are two different metals, but both come from the mineral/metallic "root".
    OR,

It can also be read as the root of a tree (for example), where the branches, the leaves, the fruit, etc all have the same Root. Is the tree one matter? Or many matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    No, he wouldn't. Why would he? He can't be bothered with such wasteful sentiments.

On topic:
    'One root" doesn't necessarily mean "metallic/mineral". This is only JDP's interpretation and perspective. Not saying it's invalid, just saying it's one possibility among others.

OR,

It can also be read as the root of a tree (for example), where the branches, the leaves, the fruit, etc all have the same Root. Is the tree one matter? Or many matters?
    The above quoted writer is not talking about actual trees, he is talking about the mineral/metallic matters that enter the operations. He is using the mineral/metallic origin of these substances to befuddle some readers with what may appear at first sight to be a contradiction: two "mercuries" of different substance, but of the same "root".

+ Reply to Thread