Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Black Pepper Tincture Thread, Free Medicine :)

2.2 grains recovered from the initial ~3. Guess I should have been more precise. Still, for such a tiny amount, that isn't much loss at all. Some darkness precipitated after everything else dropped out, so there is still a touch of gum in the sample, but the crystals are there. I just put one in my monster, and funny enough I can't taste it yet. Perhaps it'll take a minute to solve, but I have a feeling that the pure piperine is more subtle, yet it contains all the heat compounds, so it's not to be underestimated. I think I can feel the heat in the back of my throat. Or maybe that tiny half-crystal was too low a dose, but knowing how potent the tincture was, I'm not going to be brave and eat the whole clump, hehe.

On my water extraction, I left some salts curing on heat for about a day. They weren't quite white, but offwhite, with some carbon still about. Solved in ~200mL of the hydrosol, and the "not unpleasant" smell that I'm becoming familiar with rose from the mixture. I filtered and it's milky. I think I will be distilling off the "water" rather than heat drying, but that's going to be a process, so I'm trying currently to extract my honey/gum from the remaining fluid, if there is any to be had.

I couldn't help thinking that the salt mixture has all the normal "elements" combined, my Mercury being water, the essential Sulphur bound in a matrix of water as a hydrosol, and the salt, which has brought out the white coloring of the thing. It will be interesting to "balance" those elements through distillation, but I may repeat several times. When you guys are volitizing salts in this way, do you distill them to dryness and then sublimate by upping the temp, or do they start going over the still head with the "water"?

Okay, officially switching gears. I'll condense my notes about the whole "water extraction" process later on. Just wanted to see if this rang a bell with anyone.

Aside from the classic tincture, my new spagyric concoction is made with just water and black pepper, at least that's the intent. I'm essentially drying the cleaned up decoction of the pepper in an open top jar. This should be relatively free of oil and the precipitates have dropped from it through several distillations to get most of the original solvent out first. The smell of the cooked liquid was similar to the brine that I boil peanuts in, but once it began to dry and started making a cloudy layer on top, it took on a sweetness. It's now very thick, almost dry honey, and a skin has solidified on the surface. The interesting thing though, is that it's making these wrinkles around the outer edge, which are in motion. So it will wrinkle up for a second, and then smooth out. Could probably explain it with convection currents or something, but it's cool to watch. I'm debating whether to remove the skin, and transfer the honey that hasn't yet dried to a gum, or keep going until it all thickens. There wasn't much actual gum out of the whole process, so a smaller vessel might be better for it. This should be my bitumus matter for the magestry. All in all, making progress with doing everything with water, and that opens the door to many kinds of solvents besides eth alcohol for plant work, and my results continue to be awesome. We'll see what kind of end product I get. Next steps are separating the precipitates from the extraction and figuring out how to purify those, checking if they are piperine. I'll also be cohabating the salt/hydrosol solution to purify the extract from the ashes, and I've saved the calcium carb stuff caught in the first filtering. Quite a few products from the original decoction. Now to figure out how to recombine them, looking for a sign.

Peppery Waters

So my distillate from the salts did a couple of things. First, it refuses to boil. I finally turned the temp down and covered everything in tinfoil up to the neck with the 70deg elbow.

The distillate is interesting. It's crystal clear, but smelled burnt, so I put it in a bottle with some other "burnt" water that I caught earlier, but when I came back today, the campfire smell was gone and it smelled very strongly of the pepper. Maybe the nose screwed up before, but I think a little time to cool down and do some degassing maybe works off the fire smell, or it ripens. Perhaps the salts work to fix the aromatic elements where they can fuse properly with the water?

The salts themselves colored the hydrosol a faint yellow, and some yellow skin has evolved, even before the salts themselves precipitated. I dropped the rest of the solution in a crucible to dry off the rest of the way, leaving the yellow film on the walls while the crystals collected in the bottom. It isn't much, but I have more material to calcine that's just sitting around. Trying to take my time and figure out each step of the process slowly and carefully. So the next step for the salt is to calcine again, and pour on about half of the "fire water" mentioned above that came out of the original solution. Also of note. Some of the salt dropped out of the cold solution before I distilled it, but there was no sediment at all that I noticed after heating started.

As far as the concentrated extract from the last post. I skimmed the skin off the top, which looked kind of silvery against the black/red fluid, and poured the liquid part into another dish to cool. It was a little thick over heat, but it's pure jelly on cooling, and retained the sweet smell. I'm also noticing that sweetness in the precipitate from the extract. The precipitate is kind of a bitch, because it's so liquidy that it can't be dug out with a spoon, yet big enough particles to instantly clog a coffee filter. A fritted filter might be handy but I can't be fucked with the expense at the moment. I did manage to collect some, so it's drying, and it has that sweet smell to it. Carbohydrates maybe? The jelly is sweet, but the black liquid part of the extract has the pepper smell (which might be what I'm finding in the watery distillate).

All in all. I feel like I'm learning a lot. I'm trying new things. Reading over more texts, and confident that whatever I concoct will be a wonderful magistry. The Tincture alone is quite strong. I took five drops this evening and it was too much in about 3 oz of water. Like pepper times 100. The water extract project is much milder on the tongue, but I can feel more of a spiritual effect as I continue to experiment with it, at least as strong as the tincture. But if you want to have some pepper flavoring for your food, just saying, tincture all the way. It's f'cking amazing!

I'm doing a first attempt at purifying a tiny amount of the gum from the leftovers in the glass I poured it off from. I have some suspicions that cohabation, when understood properly, will render purity to the "stinking black mass," If it works, I may try it this way on the next alcohol tarry extract. IMO the tar/resin/gum contains the best medicine, and learning to work with it has been a mystery for me, and maybe it's harder with alcohol work, but I'm going to keep trying at this until I figure it out. Last ditch will be combining with the salt to try and bleed it, but that's still a ways off.

Blog Entries
    Keep it up. I'm still digesting a new batch of black pepper in alcohol.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Keep it up. I'm still digesting a new batch of black pepper in alcohol.
    Let us know how it turns out. Getting that misty stuff away from the water fraction is almost always a pain in the butt. I have another "cloudy water" thats being fussy. Pressurised filtration seems to help, but I have a regular funnel, so I drop it in a straight tube with a thin plastic film to seal the connection, link the tube to a take-off adapter and then a flask at the bottom. Connect hose to pressure pump (in my case my lungs so I have to be careful with strong solvents, even alcohol). I might put a buchner funnel on my list soon.

So, the Sulphur extracted with distilled water was originally evaporated off with some heat, skin was removed, and the black/red/orange liquor was poured off and gelled. After some insight gleaned from the leftover crusts, I resoaked the jelly, both with original hydrosol and "burnt" water distilled off the purifying salts. Both mixtures took on the same smell, and reacted similarly, precipitating some white/gray mass (which turned black and hard on drying) which was filtered off. I combined the two (since they looked/smelled/seemed exactly the same) and am evaporating at 60C. This little crystal showed up swimming on top. The first drying produced a cloudy mist and a skin, so far on this one, only this crystal and a little sunken cloudy. All other white areas of the picture are reflected light. Up close, it looks like a tiny feather rather than a single crystal point as it appears here.

I still have about half of the jelly separate, and it seems to be bleeding a tiny amount of red fluid. I only noticed because I was thinking about making an alcohol tincture of it similar to the ens process. Still undecided on that, curious to see what happens as it continues to sit in the dark in a stoppered bottle.

This is the "Salt of Sulphur" from the test batch of leftovers. When they coat on the glass they are a translucent yellow. After scraping them out they are dull read but full of glittery sparkles...can I say "glittery" without my man card being revoked?

My primary Sulphur for this project has not taken on a solid phase yet, just liquid solution on goop. Gotta make sure I get all the crap out before I dry it. I filtered some of the cloudiness while it was hot. I might filter again before this drying phase is done. Coagulating with water dropped some where it could be filtered, but I might have to repeat the process, oh, I dunno, six more times?

My plan is to unite these S Salts with the plant salt, dissolve in the hydrosol water, chill it for a bit, then evaporate together. Plant salts are on their second distillation/recrystallization.

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping that during these experiments you learn more about the piperine extraction and share how I am to proceed without failure. I have another tincture prepared.

PS: nice glitters
    Last edited by elixirmixer; 01-01-2018 at 03:04 AM.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    I'm hoping that during these experiments you learn more about the piperine extraction and share how I am to proceed without failure. I have another tincture prepared.

PS: nice glitters
    I think my other tincture is ready. I made about 300-400mL this time, but it isn't all the way dark. I might need to add some more pepper sprinkles. I think patience is the biggest key there, and I do everything in small batches. Not looking forward to sucking peppered alcohol vapors through a take-off tube again to get the filter to work though. Setup looks like a bong, I need to get an air pump one of these days.

I wish I knew what went wrong. Just make sure you let it circulate for a couple days to give the little buggers time to clump up. I got clouds with the cedar tincture but they never clumped, and the filtrered stuff didn't look good for anything, except clogging coffee filters. The cloudiness in my water extracts is the same way.

I wasn't going to take a picture of the glitters, but then I thought, EM likes crystally red stuff, he might appreciate this. If the plant salts clarify it a bit then they could end up looking really really nice. I plan on doing all of this again with tumeric, and a plantain extract would be lovely as well. Alchohol extracted resins are always black, nasty, and annoying, but this water extract, even the jelly form, has been awesome. Almost none of the pepper taste comes through, but you can feel the heat on your tongue after a few seconds with the jelly, but the red crystals are sublime. My nervous system feels charged within seconds of taking a finger dip. Those little tingles remind my of building energy in rituals. Might just be a mental thing, but I feel like I'm on to something. See if I can dig up some lead around here. I have a drop of mercury in a pill bottle somewhere around here.

Alright Mr. Mixer, this is for you. Piperine extract trial number 2. This is my second extraction and looks a little light to me. 95%eth solvent, some of the pepper was reused from the first tincture, but I added more to make sure I got a good extract, still not happy with it but we'll see how it goes. After waiting on the tincture forever, I feel like doing something tonight while still trying to purify my water extract Sulphur. I squeezed out the mash and filtered off 150mL total tincture, using a coffee filter and a funnel:

Next step was water bombing. I decided to try something a little sneaky by doing this in a separatory funnel. New idea that came to me a couple days ago while fighting this constant and annoying string of cloudy nonsense that refuses to filter off properly. I put the 150mL of tincture in the funnel, and then put 200mL of H2O (the universal solvent of everything awesome and amazing! haha) into my measuring cup so that I would have some solid numbers for you (despite the tincture that might be on the weak side).

I added about 75mL of water to the tincture, this is the initial result. I'm going to let it sit for a while and see if it settles at all. I'm not worried about clumps because those took days before.

You see how it looks darker up there at the top of the creamy part? That's not a camera trick. There's definitely a transition at the top of the creme before the cutoff line at the remaining tincture part (which strangely enough appeared to darken with the water bomb). I may have been using too much water before :/ That's why I'm going to let this settle and see if it separates into a third fraction. The water wasn't added as gently this time either, so it might just be a fake emulsion look that will settle out on its own.

+ Reply to Thread