Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Black Pepper Tincture Thread, Free Medicine :)

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Have you found any other tincture-water precipitate extractions that might be useful?
    The only one I have that will bomb out is the remaining cedar. I didn't try the mullein yet, but that's a soft plant I'm not even sure if it will do anything. I'm not particularly interested in whatever might be coming from the cedar at the moment, enough to screw with it anyway. No idea what's coming out unless it's that same chemical that's in pine tinctures. As you said, the process can be a little annoying, so scratching my head trying to extract the cloudy may end up fruitless.

Piperine experiment 2. After the ordinary regular old tincture with NOThING special about it (just want to make sure I'm being clear here, pepper tinctured in absolute), solution is waterbombed, and after a couple days of sitting in a sealed bottle in a dark place, I turn the bottle sideways, and...

Crystals. That seems to be the secret, stuff it in a corner and forget about it. I'm wondering if I should distill off the alc portion, since as I showed before, I bombed the stuff out in two parts, and while I'm not 100% sure, I think the brighter fraction is more of the good stuff and less dross than the last time that I did it. We shall see I guess. If I dry it off instead of filtering and a bunch of crap drops out, then we'll know. The recovered liquor can be used to redissolve and purify them

Blog Entries
    Ratio?
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

I put the exact measurements in a post on page 7. I added 75ml of water to 150ml of tincture, iirc. Siphoned off about half of the cloudy in a separatory funnel (actually, around 100ml of the mixture), and proceeded to add another 125ml of water. That's what's in this flask, after the second water bomb. Assuming that the liquid was kept at an even ration (even though the darker portion "floated")... let's see.
    75water + 150ml 95% = 225ml 63%ABV - siphoned 100ml
    125ml 63% + 125ml Water = 250ml ~30%ABV (measurements after separating in the funnel are approximate)

Roughly 2 parts distilled water to one part pure tincture extract to go all cloudy

EDIT: I tossed the 250ml flask pictured back in a drawer. Will check it again in a week or so and see if the crystals are growing. My very first experiment in alchemy ~12 years ago was with oak leaves, and I found the bottle with the extract years later. A crystal garden had grown in the bottom. I'm a big fan of time and patience.

Blog Entries
    Set and forget. Got it. Cheers, I'll let you know.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Go slow, EM. Make sure the crystals are growing, and post pictures for heaven's sake, lol. Are you water bombing tonight?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    Are you water bombing tonight?

Indeed. I still have to do that ether as well so tonight is a lab night.

I can't do pictures right now cause I've been in an eight month battle with Telstra and only have I ternet on my phone and can't click and drag into the input menu

Good luck then. It shouldn't take but 2 or 3 days for the little guys to sprout. Also, it's cold up here in the northern hemisphere, but the flask was sitting at around room temp, and I did nothing to heat it this time. The first pour off was showing some signs, but I didn't want to bother fitting a cork to it. Continuing to let it dry very slowly through a filter paper "lid." There wasn't much in that one at all that I could see by tilting slightly.

Be careful with that ether. Would hate to lose you.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I've been putting it off cause I'm pretty scared. Last time I'll be ordering it in those quantities 2.5L bottle.

But on the other hand, it has to be done now or never, they are in two bottles of 1 ltr and 500mls bottles not amber so NoT good. I've only got 1.5 litres left. (Edit)I transfered it from one bottle, into two of smaller volume to try to not die. However, its in a clear bottle, and any exposure to air (pouring) is not good either so, this is why beginners should NEVER play with it. I've been in labwork and chemical practices for a good 7 years, with a 5 year pre study, and you can tell that even I'm struggling.

I'm thinking of grabbing a KG of a few harder to eat herbs aka reshi mushroom, hi WO shu, brahmin. And doing a big extraction, hoping that dropping it I to shitloads of organic matter will stabilize it a bit. And then start doing small evaps. Its hot down here ATM making it very important to get it done now before it decides to dispose of itself.
    Last edited by elixirmixer; 01-11-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Some updates on my new batch of piperine. The crystals in the flask in the picture aren't growing, so that's about as much as I can remove by letting them sit at the moment, that was "the good fraction" from my siphoning.

The bad fraction was left to experiment with. I took about half of it and made a room temp solution of saltwater, as much as would dissolve. I added a bunch to the piperine solution and let it sit. After a couple hours, it didn't appear to be doing anything, so I set it off to the side. I checked back today, I believe at least 2 days later, and that solution had clarified, leaving a greenish yellow crystalline solid at the bottom. I believe this is a mix of piperine and pepper tars. I decanded the solution into the remaining "first pour off" as it seems to be effective at precipitating out the cloudy. I just didn't expect the process to take several days.

I'll probably be splitting off some of the solution from the flask in the picture, and try distilling or drying the alcohol fraction off. My suspicion is that the tar will stay with the water while mostly piperine drops to the bottom. Those first crystals are really yellow so I'm going to keep them separate until I'm sure if the distillation method works or not.

Just thought I would add this because the salt solution definitely left a precipitate, but it took days and the jar was not sealed. Might be worth trying in a sealed jar, and I would prepare the saltwater ahead of time to keep NaCl from dropping out with the piperine, even though they can in theory be separated easily because of different solubilities in water.

+ Reply to Thread