Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reusing SV

Reusing SV

Hey guys, quick question. I have about a liter of spiritus vini (actually, spiritus corny in this case, lol) and I'm thinking about running it through a couple times by itself to get rid of the plant notes attached to it. Will this work? Part of it is tinted, so obviously I can clarify it.

I don't know what I'll be using it for, if nothing else I can mix it up with some kool-aid, but at $20 a bottle it seems wasteful to toss it.

As far as my philosophical reasoning goes, well, number one I'm doubting the philosophical implications of SV lately to begin with, that's why I'm doing the black pepper thing with water, and hoping future concoctions can use my "special" water once I collect enough of it with good potency. But I might use it for an "ens" extraction (I hate calling it that, but I think we all know what that means) or for making some more tinctures. Cleaning up the lab a bit tonight and dumping a bunch of failed experiments, and I realized that I had at least a liter of "leftovers." There's actually probably another liter in there if I go digging through the rest of these bottles. The oil content from distilled off SV is what I'm worried about gumming up future experiments. Is distillation a suitable way to extract it. It should leave some white water in the boiling pot anyway, right? I haven't done that process yet so I'm not sure.

Do you guys ever reuse your spent Mercury, or just go get/make more? You see, I'm thinking that SV is going to carry over something from the grapes, so how is that different from other herbs?

Blog Entries
    I'll take this one:

Alcohol = not philosophical (depending how you do it but mostly no.)

Second: to get clean SV, good filtering before boiling is recommended. And also. Charcoal. Black crushed up charcoal, before filtering and during distillation (if you want to remove herbal notes)

that's it
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Good deal. I didn't think about using charcoal. Maybe fill a filter paper with some powdered carbon and distill into that?

Blog Entries
    By good filtering prior to distillation, most unwanted tones are removed; once we boil it, these tones stay in the waters, due to you having released aromatic compounds into your solvent.

Charcoal assists in the second stage, also, you can re-dilute, with charcoal (Edit: and distilled water), and re-distill, and continuesly purify.

Until clean. Fractionating column advised.
    Last edited by elixirmixer; 01-02-2018 at 06:10 AM.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Right on. I was definitely going to distill once, at least for the colored fraction, because I know it has some gums and resins hiding in it. Then maybe add all the clear together for further purification. Fractioning shouldn't be necessary as it's already pretty well absolute aside from the impurities, and I plan on doing the distillations quickly. broken glass pieces are ready for boiling chips

Do you recommend passing it through the charcoal, or actually dumping the charcoal in, stirring up, settle, and then filter?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    Right on.

Do you recommend passing it through the charcoal, or actually dumping the charcoal in, stirring up, settle, and then filter?
    Both.

Ed: The more the better, if "stripping code??"

Okay, I've prepared a tincture of charcoal, lol. I'm wondering if the salts hiding inside of my coals will leech enough to make the final distillate an absolute...

Course, even if they do, it probably won't remain that way for long, but it's fun to think about. Maybe I should just not distill it after I filter, haha.

+ Reply to Thread