Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saturn & Blackness | Lead & Galena

Blog Entries

Saturn & Blackness | Lead & Galena

JDP, I believe that you were the one who taught me, that Galena = Saturn = Our Blackness.

I wonder what they were blackening?
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    JDP, I believe that you were the one who taught me, that Galena = Saturn = Our Blackness.

I wonder what they were blackening?
    I think you might be misremembering a bit here. Plus doesn't your own comment pretty much invalidate the possibility that "our blackness/Saturn" could be galena, which is ALREADY BLACK BY ITSELF, WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING TO IT? Think about it. Why were the alchemists so concerned about "blackening" their compound then? You have answered your very own query! Galena was NOT "our Saturn/Lead/Magnesia/Adrop/Atrop/Sericon/Azoquean-Vitriol/etc."

Maybe Lead is our Lead. After the reaction with Sulfur you get vulgar Galena. Then you could do the separation. Of course you would get lead and sulfur again, so you have to combine it again. An appropriate explanation of the symbol of the ouroboros.

Sorry, don't want to offend, just kidding!
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:21 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Maybe Lead is our Lead. After the reaction with Sulfur you get vulgar Galena. Then you could do the separation. Of course you would get lead and sulfur again, so you have to combine it again. An appropriate explanation of the symbol of the ouroboros.

Sorry, don't want to offend, just kidding!
    But even lead was considered "black", due to the "dull" surface hue it gets when it is exposed to the atmosphere. For centuries it was in fact called "black lead" to distinguish it from "white lead" (i.e. tin, which does not tarnish as easily as lead and thus remains bright and silvery.)

Alexander von Bernus (some claim he was an adept) writes that nitric acid is definately involved in the beginning. He backs this with the often used "azo" like in azoth. Even nowadays some chemicals containing nitrogen atoms are somehow labeled as "azocompounds".
    Further the origin of nitric acid is saltpeter. This word speaks for itself.
    Further he says nitric acid is the winged dragon eating the dragon without wings. You sure know the symbol.
    The question now could be, what is it that gives a black product in a reaction with nitric acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Alexander von Bernus (some claim he was an adept) writes that nitric acid is definately involved in the beginning. He backs this with the often used "azo" like in azoth. Even nowadays some chemicals containing nitrogen atoms are somehow labeled as "azocompounds".
    Further the origin of nitric acid is saltpeter. This word speaks for itself.
    Further he says nitric acid is the winged dragon eating the dragon without wings. You sure know the symbol.
    The question now could be, what is it that gives a black product in a reaction with nitric acid.
    I'm afraid that von Bernus was wrong on that one. "Aqua fortis" was unknown to the ancients (it was discovered sometime during the Middle Ages; the first to clearly describe its preparation was the Latin author whose works circulated under the name of "Geber", who lived in either Italy or Spain around the late 13th century AD), so it is hardly necessary in making the Philosophers' Stone. Where aqua fortis (specially in its more arcane "gradatory" varieties) is very useful indeed is in some "particulars", specially the ones having to do with directly producing gold from silver.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I'm afraid that von Bernus was wrong on that one. "Aqua fortis" was unknown to the ancients (it was discovered sometime during the Middle Ages; the first to clearly describe its preparation was the Latin author whose works circulated under the name of "Geber", who lived in either Italy or Spain around the late 13th century AD), so it is hardly necessary in making the Philosophers' Stone. Where aqua fortis (specially in its more arcane "gradatory" varieties) is very useful indeed is in some "particulars", specially the ones having to do with directly producing gold from silver.
    Not to be confused with Jabir ibn Hayyan.. I assume. Is this the pseudo-Geber that you are referring too? There's too many alchemists with that name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    Not to be confused with Jabir ibn Hayyan.. I assume. Is this the pseudo-Geber that you are referring too? There's too many alchemists with that name.
    Yes, the Latin author from the late 13th century AD, not the older Arabic one from around the 8th-9th century AD. The older alchemists were acquainted with some acids, but mostly of organic origin. "Oil of vitriol" was already known before aqua fortis. In the mid 13th century Al-Qazwini mentions fumes of an "oily nature" coming from heated vitriol, which heat up water when they come in contact with it. This is obviously a description of the production of sulfuric acid by strongly heating metallic vitriols and condensing the "fumes" given off, and then making them react with water.
    Last edited by JDP; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    I noticed that nitric acid makes organic matters (herbs) turn black and literally reacts and dissolves them. Its pretty cool to watch actually and I did wonder at the time whether this was associated with anything important.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

I think that we need to use less "chemical" substances and more Natural ones. As I see it, all those acids, etc., only destroy.

+ Reply to Thread