Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rare Manuscripts in BnF

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Oh-oh... sounds more suspicious yet. Let me guess: another "one matter, one vessel, one furnace, one regimen/fire" boaster/deceiver/dreamer? Those who usually engage in tirades against the elemental laboratory procedures fundamental and necessary (like distillation) to alchemy are most often these types of either self-deceived or purposefully deceiving fellows.
    No, its not like that. From what I have seen till now, at the experimental part (second book), he describes experiments and observations which he made at his younger years with the cadavres of recently dead people, when he was working as an assistant in an anatomy lab. Based on those observation, he tries to give an analytical description of the digestive process and the method by which is made the assimilation of food. Another interesting point is that the work must not be very old. Maybe 18th centuery. In one point the author rejects the spontaneous generation theories and mentions the experiments made by the help of the vacuum pump. He even mentions electricity at some point.

More to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Hellin Hermetist View Post
    No, its not like that. From what I have seen till now, at the experimental part (second book), he describes experiments and observations which he made at his younger years with the cadavres of recently dead people, when he was working as an assistant in an anatomy lab. Based on those observation, he tries to give an analytical description of the digestive process and the method by which is made the assimilation of food. Another interesting point is that the work must not be very old. Maybe 18th centuery. In one point the author rejects the spontaneous generation theories and mentions the experiments made by the help of the vacuum pump. He even mentions electricity at some point.

More to come...
    Yes, obviously an 18th century work.

Ok. Time to give a summary of the first book. The one which refers to the historical facts.

- Egyptians was initiated to Hermetic science and knew perfectly how to perform the Great Work. The immense riches of Egypts were made that way. They left the practice of the Great Work in the hieroglyphics writings. The sages of Greece who travelled to Egypt to learn the Hermetic Science were not duped. The Hermetic Science is a mystical science, and its for that reason that we dont find any Academy for the propagation of that science in ancient Greece.
    - The generation, the exploits and the tranformations of Gods at the ancient fables are references to different stages of the Great Work. The ancient fables has teached that which none of the Hermetic authors has ever teached Cause the Hermetic philosophers have never named their matter. The fables have done that. Hermetic philosophers have never described the real natura of their secret fire. The fables have done that. The fable of Atlas and Hercules is a perfect example and describes the practice of the Great Work perfectly.
    - Any who says that you we need furnaces, retorts, distillation and sublimation apparatus to perform the Great Work, isnt an adept. By using retorts, distillation and sublimations we can only accomplish some particulars transmutations, which require great expenses and their result isnt guaranteed.
    - In accordance with the above, all the experiments of the chemist, their procedures and their apparatus is wholly incompatible with the Hermetic science. Thats the reason that none of them have never discovered even the least trace of the Stone.
    - Some of the olders Electors of Saxony had the Stone and had performed tranmutations. One day, a the year 1584, a certain man, named Sehiventzer, presented itself to August I, Elector of Saxony, and gave him a manuscript which contained the universal and some particulars. At the May of the year 1585, the Elector performed the transmutation with its own hands. This tincture was able to transform 1024 pieces of mercury into gold. The Elector continued to perform transmutations one more year, as the next year he died. His son and new Elector, Christain I, performed transmutations for five more years, when he also lost his life. The sons of that last Elector werent not interested in sciences and arts, so they lost the secret of the Stone and made the alchemist Sehiventtzer to retire and leave the royal court. By the help of transmutation the two Electors, August the I and Christian his son, acquired immense riches which let them to collect the finest collection of weapons and arms and the whole Europe, for which they are still famous, and also to erect two majestic royal castles.
    - In accordance with the above, the story of Cosmopolite, as given by abbe Langloit, is false from the beginning to the end. Cosmopolite was a real adept, but the Elector of Saxony never prisoned or tortured him. By the time the Cosmopolite was in the territory of Saxon, elector was the son of Christian, who was indifferent for arts and sciences, so he lost the secret of the Stone and made the alchemist Sehiventzer to leave the royal castle. If he was interested in the Stone and transmutations, the manuscript which Sehivenzet had left to his grandfather was still in his possession. Also, Sehivenzter had left the castle but was still living in Saxony, in a near by area. So he could anytime call him back, and he need not torture Cosmopolite for something which he could acquire so easily.

Those are the most interesting parts. A summary of the second book (objections of sciences and experimeters and their answers) will come soon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much for this review, HH.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Obviously there is meant the lesser known alchemist Sebald Schwärtzer (or Schwertzer) and not Sehiventzer which seem to be the mutilated version of Schwärtzer. About his alchemy, above all his particulars, was written the „Chrysopeia Schwaertzeriana“, however more than one hundred years later as a kind of compilation of Mss. supposedly originating from Schwärtzer‘s hand.

Yes you are right. The manuscript was in bad condition so I may read the name wrongly. Maybe the author have written it wrongly too. Have you studied this complitation of particulars, supposedly written by Schwartzer?

Nice summary, HH!

Looking forward to reading the second part!

Blog Entries
    - Any who says that you we need furnaces, retorts, distillation and sublimation apparatus to perform the Great Work, isn't an adept. By using retorts, distillation and sublimations we can only accomplish some particulars transmutations, which require great expenses and their result isn't guaranteed.
    - In accordance with the above, all the experiments of the chemist, their procedures and their apparatus is wholly incompatible with the Hermetic science. That's the reason that none of them have never discovered even the least trace of the Stone.
    Naked truth? Or malicious, ill-intended deception?

Of all the glassware I used to have in the past, I only have one distillation setup left, which is mostly good for nothing, except if I occasionally have to distill some waters*.

*Those waters are used for rendering the "Earth" (-), the companion of "Heaven" (|).

Hellin Hermetist - Thanks a LOT for the summary! Much appreciated!

Yes you are right. The manuscript was in bad condition so I may read the name wrongly. Maybe the author have written it wrongly too. Have you studied this complitation of particulars, supposedly written by Schwartzer?
    It's many years ago when I had the chance to get a well done reprint of the "Chrysopoeia Schwärtzerina", but as often, I've forgotten what he has written about these things. Only one thing appears again and again in Schwärtzer's texts and that is he's speaking of a "key" (his key) without it nothing can be achieved. You see, it's always the same :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Naked truth? Or malicious, ill-intended deception?
    I would say most definitely the second one. Either that or this guy was just plain delusional. Anyone who denies that alchemy uses such things as furnaces and distillation apparatuses knows absolutely nothing about the subject or is a total liar.

+ Reply to Thread