Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Those horrible essential oils!

Those horrible essential oils!

Okay, so according to the internet I'm off my rocker, but I'm just going to come out and say it. I think using essential oils in our spagyric concoctions is a load of donkey dung.

Rose water is cool, I guess, but I took about a teaspoon of my "burnt" distillate, and well, lets just say my body rejected it as much as my nose did. It doesn't smell "bad," but it's definitely not agreeable, and every time oil in hydrosol form or otherwise touches my carefully prepared recombination, it ruins it.

For you guys having success with the Stavish and other common methodologies, do you eat your stone after it's prepared? Or is it a curiosity that sits in a jar in your lab? I've made some amazing stuff, and my jelly balls contain no essential oil, nor does this black pepper "Sulphur Salt" that I've prepared (which is the most amazing thing I've produced so far, by far, so I'm cooking up more of it).

Hollandus mentions the first water coming off the plant to be feculant poison, but in the very next chapter he uses this infectious humidity. I think I'll go with the prior. Essential oils are great for purfumes and aromatherapy, but I think it's a mistake to combine them back into the product. I'm probably wrong. After all, what do I know? I haven't made the stone or transmuted lead into silver or mercury into gold, but I know that I've had mixed feelings about essential oils all along, and for a while now repeatedly said that that oil is NOT the "philosophical Sulphur" of the plant, because the red king just works.

But I see posts by Axis where he seems to do wonders with the stuff. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong because I've been lazy about cohobating my oil. Does distilling it three times really change it into something that you want to put in your body?

Nobody else is talking about this, so I figured I would open up the discussion, but for the moment, I think essential oils are a trap laid on us when distillation migrated west, and especially when Paracelsus started running around, writing about how to use them in a spagyric. Any links to his instructions, btw? I'd like to pick through them for clues that essential oils are NOT the sulphur that he's talking about.

Blog Entries
    There are shitloads of studies getting done right now into the pharmaceutical benefits of a wife range of essential oils. One of the biggest markets for the essential oil industry is high quality oil that they sell to pharmaceutical companies.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    Okay, so according to the internet I'm off my rocker, but I'm just going to come out and say it. I think using essential oils in our spagyric concoctions is a load of donkey dung.

Rose water is cool, I guess, but I took about a teaspoon of my "burnt" distillate, and well, lets just say my body rejected it as much as my nose did. It doesn't smell "bad," but it's definitely not agreeable, and every time oil in hydrosol form or otherwise touches my carefully prepared recombination, it ruins it.

For you guys having success with the Stavish and other common methodologies, do you eat your stone after it's prepared? Or is it a curiosity that sits in a jar in your lab? I've made some amazing stuff, and my jelly balls contain no essential oil, nor does this black pepper "Sulphur Salt" that I've prepared (which is the most amazing thing I've produced so far, by far, so I'm cooking up more of it).

Hollandus mentions the first water coming off the plant to be feculant poison, but in the very next chapter he uses this infectious humidity. I think I'll go with the prior. Essential oils are great for purfumes and aromatherapy, but I think it's a mistake to combine them back into the product. I'm probably wrong. After all, what do I know? I haven't made the stone or transmuted lead into silver or mercury into gold, but I know that I've had mixed feelings about essential oils all along, and for a while now repeatedly said that that oil is NOT the "philosophical Sulphur" of the plant, because the red king just works.

But I see posts by Axis where he seems to do wonders with the stuff. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong because I've been lazy about cohobating my oil. Does distilling it three times really change it into something that you want to put in your body?

Nobody else is talking about this, so I figured I would open up the discussion, but for the moment, I think essential oils are a trap laid on us when distillation migrated west, and especially when Paracelsus started running around, writing about how to use them in a spagyric. Any links to his instructions, btw? I'd like to pick through them for clues that essential oils are NOT the sulphur that he's talking about.
    DT,

I'm wondering if it would help for you to completely outline your process and equipment used and post on here. Maybe a helpful soul could chime in to tweak the process and/or equipment.

Regards

Blog Entries
    An essential oil produced from steam distillation is much different than the substance produced by dry distillation of plant matter. I’m with Aham, how exactly did you process the plant matter?
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

This applies to several different processes, not one in particular. I've never had any luck with essential oils, no matter how they are prepared. I know I'm running against the grain here, and that's fine. That's where I can find myself usually anyways.

In general, I imbibe the oils back into the salt matter, or salt that has been prepared with other additions already. I have no issue with tarter salts, or the other ingredients (and I get better results with the plant extract that is prepared separate from the oil). It either won't combine, or the salts take on a funny smell and all of the bitterness soaks in. And if it isn't reacting, I'm pretty sure that any medical professional would state with a fair amount of conviction that, in general, ingesting these oils isn't "safe." So let's see these studies saying otherwise. I'm open that certain ones might open the doors, but certainly it's a low number out of the whole. If they aren't being reacted (combining), then most of the medical world would say unsafe or at the least reckless.

I may have botched the oil with the pepper anyway, so I don't want to discuss only that case, as this idea has been a couple years brewing now. High grade oils purchased from suppliers, steam distilled, or any other method, I just don't know if these compounds are important to the process, at least nowhere near as important as we make out, and I'm even less convinced that they represent the "Sulphur" of the herb. Different plants have varying amounts and percentages.

I might never made the stone of the vegetable kingdom, but creating a circulation seems more interesting. I question everything, it's what I do. I'm curious about you guy's experiences with these oils, and if you are actually ingesting/combining the oil, or if it's a biproduct produced from the oil (Like the white cloudy water left over after SV distillation).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post

Burnt distillate is not good to ingest as you found out.

You are right that essential oils are NOT the sulphur Hollandus is talking about. You should never ingest essential oils. You can inhale the aroma or add a few drops to bath water. That sulfur he is talking about is a water soluble oil ruby red and transparent when purified. It has a pleasant aroma of roasted nuts.

Hollandus doesn't like the first Water to come over during dry distillation for a good reason. It can neutralize the Air that comes over at a higher temperature. However that vinegar is very useful later in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by z0 K View Post
    Burnt distillate is not good to ingest as you found out.

You are right that essential oils are NOT the sulphur Hollandus is talking about. You should never ingest essential oils. You can inhale the aroma or add a few drops to bath water. That sulfur he is talking about is a water soluble oil ruby red and transparent when purified. It has a pleasant aroma of roasted nuts.

Hollandus doesn't like the first Water to come over during dry distillation for a good reason. It can neutralize the Air that comes over at a higher temperature. However that vinegar is very useful later in the process.
    Thank you Z, I was hoping you might see this and chime in. Your opinions mean a lot to me, and I always try to read carefully what you say, often several times after my response as well.

I need to go smell some roasted nuts again. I have a very inviting sweet smell, and I'm working on the purification technique, but you're several steps farther along than I am, and I am working with completely different substance than you probably have in mind for the red oily substance. Mine is not dry-distilled. It might prep me for that work later on though, it doesn't give itself over easily to purification without a TON of repetition.

I wasn't sure he was talking about dry distilling when I recalled reading it, but I just started reading again last night. I could be mistaken as it sounds like everyone noticed that reference to come from the dry distilling process in there. With 4 different methods it's hard to keep straight in my head.

I'm just going to keep working ahead and continue hunting for clues in the "off" time. Both in the books and in nature. But I'm going to avoid doing anything else with essential oils until I can figure out how to use them properly, never is okay with me too, though I always have a bottle of lavender close by to help me sleep.

In other cases, they appear to be waste products of plant metabolism.
    http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genche...ic/garlic.html

+ Reply to Thread