Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Secret Solvent

The 'elementals' are the secret solvent no?
    Out of all the elements the 'elements of nature's are mere principles of matter.
    The liquid state, the gas state, the solid state. intermixed with f ure which is the 'universal solvent', and sunlight which is the metaphysical solvent. Ultraviolet rays. Uv breaks HO bonds no? It burns on a small level. Also known as an bleaching, and it is the only difference between figure and sunlight.
    Point is. Each of these elements are a solvent in themselves.
    It is after all the circulation of the elements no?
    With 3 circulating principles and two acting forces. one vulgar one celestial. Vulgar fire and celestial fire.
    I would suppose that is the complicated yet easy part.
    The hard part being refinement of the body itself.
    well what is refinement?
    well you can't get rid of the body.
    Pretending a lighter substance is the body is a trick no?
    Like saying when I die i become a ghost and so it's okay.
    No no.
    Yet then how is a body made volatile?
    By becoming smaller and smaller. Brittle and tiny like smoke. Yet without burning. A substance burned is no longer what it once was. By burning you fundamentally change a substance.
    Formerly known as Avaar186.

There is another option that might clear the confusion. That is the secret solvent may coagulate and become one with the substance it is dissolving in some instances and in other instances the secret solvent may dissolve a substance yet remain separate and unchanged by the reaction. What would be the cause of these two results, could it be that in one instance the solvent is alike the material it is dissolving and in the other it is unlike the material it is dissolving. Being alike could result in a closer union with that being dissolved, being unlike could result in remaining distinct from the matter it is dissolving. The result would be that in one instance you end up with a homogenus material and in the other you end up with two distinct products.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    There is another option that might clear the confusion. That is the secret solvent may coagulate and become one with the substance it is dissolving in some instances and in other instances the secret solvent may dissolve a substance yet remain separate and unchanged by the reaction. What would be the cause of these two results, could it be that in one instance the solvent is alike the material it is dissolving and in the other it is unlike the material it is dissolving. Being alike could result in a closer union with that being dissolved, being unlike could result in remaining distinct from the matter it is dissolving. The result would be that in one instance you end up with a homogenus material and in the other you end up with two distinct products.
    Maybe so for non-metallic matters in general. But Helmont claimed that his "alkahest" solvent remained separate from ALL substances (including metals/minerals) it would dissolve and alter, and it itself remained always unaltered while it did all that. This precludes it from being the secret solvent of the alchemists, which eventually forms a permanent union with the metals it dissolves and alters, forming wholly new substances (i.e. the alchemical "tinctures"), different from both the solvent and the metal and which never again can be reduced back to its components (i.e. the solvent and the metal.)

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The secret solvent of the alchemists, which eventually forms a permanent union with the metals it dissolves and alters, forming wholly new substances (i.e. the alchemical "tinctures"), different from both the solvent and the metal and which never again can be reduced back to its components (i.e. the solvent and the metal.)
    I think your spot on with this line of thought JDP, this sounds like True Alchemy to me.

This secret solvent you are talking about here correspond with the majority of what the old masters have written.

Somebody theorized citing Ophiel that the secret solvent could be 'light' or what Paraclesues refers to as 'Archeaus', any thoughts on this? I'm not sure in detail what this means necessarily but heard an opinion about it. Could be a different interpretation depending on how it would apply.

How does applying it work if this is true?
    Last edited by KnowledgeSeeker; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    Somebody theorized citing Ophiel that the secret solvent could be 'light' or what Paraclesues refers to as 'Archeaus', any thoughts on this? I'm not sure in detail what this means necessarily but heard an opinion about it. Could be a different interpretation depending on how it would apply.

Obviously light by itself can't be the secret solvent, otherwise it would already be known to everyone since a long time ago and there would be nothing "secret" about it. No. The secret solvent has to be prepared. But does sunlight enter the operations for its preparation at some point or another? That's a more reasonable question, seeing as sunlight (as well as the complex mixture of gases and vapors known as our "atmosphere") does have effects on some substances.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Obviously light by itself can't be the secret solvent, otherwise it would already be known to everyone since a long time ago and there would be nothing "secret" about it. No. The secret solvent has to be prepared. But does sunlight enter the operations for its preparation at some point or another? That's a more reasonable question, seeing as sunlight (as well as the complex mixture of gases and vapors known as our "atmosphere") does have effects on some substances.
    Like silver salts...?

Wait..
    as well as the complex mixture of gases and vapors known as our "atmosphere" does have effects on some substances.
    Are you actually considering something happening out of (or just because of) thin air?
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post

Sunlight (Fire), air, water, and soil (Earth) come together to make all living things. Any green plant you see is essentially made of only these four substances, rearranged into a wonderful living whole. You could argue the point that a plant needs a seed, but that seed would also have been produced, completely, of these four things by the parent plant.

If you mean trying to "condense" in the most literal sense actual sunlight or moonlight, then no, but sunlight acts on phenols and many, many, many other compounds. When light hits metal, it frees electrons. This is known as the photoelectric effect, and the discovery won Albert Einstein the Nobel prize. (He didn't get it for Relativity or matter-energy equivalence)

"Thin air" bonds with heated things to produce oxides and other wonderful stuff, etc.

The sun as the secret solvent sounds nice and philosophical, actually decoding the real nature of what that means and in what material it is "captured" is another matter. In any case, if they are insisting you can "catch" sunlight in a flask, either there's something in that flask, or the material you are working with has been codified as a flask. "our flask"

...the secret solvent is the best archetype story in history.

To put the biggest riddle right at the beginning and thereafter let the folks guess how to properly get the rest into the right order.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Like silver salts...?

Wait..

Are you actually considering something happening out of (or just because of) thin air?
    The "thin air" in this case is very real and tangible, not some imaginary "spirit". And it is not a homogeneous "air" either, but actually a complex mixture of gases and vapors.

+ Reply to Thread